Disney Investor News Dump

The Choc

Ewan McGregor has been playing characters in their 30s for 20 years. Hayden looks fine. They can smooth him out.

Also, Middle age in the SW universe looks rough as hell. When the OT was made, especially ANH, it had the Clone Wars being much further in the past than 20 years. Obi-Wan and Vader  are technically in their 50/60s.

Even Boba Fett is screwed by this in Mandalorian. He's technically only supposed to be in his early 40s, but Temura Morrison is almost 60.

Anakin was 22 in ROTS.  Add 19 o that, makes him 41 by ANH.   THe Obi Wan series is supposed to be 10 years BBY, so that would make about 31.  IMHO, HC looks like he is in his early 30s.

Obi Wan is about 15-16 years older than Anakin, which makes him around 57 when he is killed in ANH, and about 47 for the Obi Wan Series.  Ewan is 49, so almost the same age Obi Wan is supposed to be in the series.  

It’s been about 4 years, but a friend met Hayden while he was in Ohio filming a movie. They were filming in a small town and Hayden and his wife were at a local park with their kid(s?) and my friend was there with his two kids. He said it was crazy because he still looked exactly the same.

3 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

It’s been about 4 years, but a friend met Hayden while he was in Ohio filming a movie. They were filming in a small town and Hayden and his wife were at a local park with their kid(s?) and my friend was there with his two kids. He said it was crazy because he still looked exactly the same.

Yeah, I think he can pull off a Clone Wars flashback.  Ewan, too.  Those 2 dudes don't age.

...In fact, now that he is more seasoned as an actor, I think he can redeem himself for the PT, which I still believe wasn't his fault, but how he was directed.  I am not sure if this is true or not, so don't quote me, but I heard that in the PT, Lucas would shoot multiple takes of scenes, and if he liked how one character looked in one take, and another actor in another take, Lucas would just splice the takes together, which could account for some of the wooden acting in the PT.

17 minutes ago, Zathras said:

...In fact, now that he is more seasoned as an actor, I think he can redeem himself for the PT, which I still believe wasn't his fault, but how he was directed.  I am not sure if this is true or not, so don't quote me, but I heard that in the PT, Lucas would shoot multiple takes of scenes, and if he liked how one character looked in one take, and another actor in another take, Lucas would just splice the takes together, which could account for some of the wooden acting in the PT.

Jus tlooked at his filmography, and besides Star Wars I've only seen him in Life as a House and Shattered Glass, both well over a decade old now. Anyone seen any of his recent work?

32 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Jus tlooked at his filmography, and besides Star Wars I've only seen him in Life as a House and Shattered Glass, both well over a decade old now. Anyone seen any of his recent work?

It’s still a few years old, but I want to watch First Kill now. It’s the one that he made with Bruce Willis in the small town next to my hometown.

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

Look at end of RoTJ where they cut him in as a force ghost - it’s very clearly an outtake. So that wouldn’t surprise me at all, he never really had a chance. 

His biggest problem was the smaller scenes, he does ok in some of the more important ones. I always remember early in ROTS after they save Palpatine and he and Obi Wan are kinda joking about who has to talk to Senators. At the end of the back and forth Anakin is like "and not saving your skin for the 10th time." and Obi Wan is like "ninth time Anakin, that business on Kate Nemodia doesn't count"

Obi Wan inflects his voice at all the right moments and sounds like he is joking. Anakin is like reading names from a phone book. He doesn;t inflect at any point. Cleary the line should be like "and not for saving your skin for thaaaaa......10th time?" like its a question and he is trying to actually remember how many times hes saved Obi Wan. Its so obvious that its just amazing no one there  between Lucas, Hayden or anyone else on set wasn't like "hey, we can fix this real quick."

I think one thing we have to accept is there could be 99 takes where he said it great, but for some reason Lucas liked the 100th. A lot of that stuff just comes across as Lucas forgot how people actually talk to each other.

If you look at his audition tape he’s not bad at all. The cut and past performances and terrible script did him no favors.

Granted, Ewan could make anything work, but he’s an amazing actor.

Hayden can act— he just needs good material and good direction. The PT didn’t have that.

Natalie Portman is also proof of that. Hayden gets a lot of crap because he was Anakin, but Natalie Portman is an Oscar winner who is pretty horrible in the PT, and she is fine in other stuff from the same era. 

The older and more seasoned actors all did much better in the prequels: Ewan, Liam, Ian all were very good. I think alot of it has to do with just being professional and not using built in excuses. I remember an interview with Christopher Lee. The interviewer's goal was clearly trying to put down the prequels and all the green screen compared to how LOTR was made. He asked Lee how he liked working on LOTR and Lee bascially answered that it was really amazing having so much actually made and constructed allowed him to really immerse himself. Happy with the answer the interviewer asked him about green screen, clearly hoping to get him to criticize it and Lee was like oh its wonderful you can really use your imagination and create this huge world around yourself.

Having said that the romantic scenes I doubt anyone could really make work, they are just flat bad. And if Hayden and Natalie were only bad in those scenes but did better in other scenes you could probably absolve them of blame. Like I said Hayden is much worse overall in the smaller scenes and I think does better in some of the more important ones. 

13 hours ago, The Choc said:

The older and more seasoned actors all did much better in the prequels: Ewan, Liam, Ian all were very good. I think alot of it has to do with just being professional and not using built in excuses. I remember an interview with Christopher Lee. The interviewer's goal was clearly trying to put down the prequels and all the green screen compared to how LOTR was made. He asked Lee how he liked working on LOTR and Lee bascially answered that it was really amazing having so much actually made and constructed allowed him to really immerse himself. Happy with the answer the interviewer asked him about green screen, clearly hoping to get him to criticize it and Lee was like oh its wonderful you can really use your imagination and create this huge world around yourself.

Having said that the romantic scenes I doubt anyone could really make work, they are just flat bad. And if Hayden and Natalie were only bad in those scenes but did better in other scenes you could probably absolve them of blame. Like I said Hayden is much worse overall in the smaller scenes and I think does better in some of the more important ones. 

One could also say that Hayden is much better in the bigger scenes where Lucas knew what he wanted and knew how to direct. And not as good in the smaller, more relationship and character building scenes, where Lucas is out of his depth.

Which is fine, really. Different artists have different strengths. I’m pretty sure Tarantino couldn’t make a PG romantic comedy, his brain would just completely reject the very idea of it. 

On 12/11/2020 at 6:22 PM, Zathras said:

So if I understand right, the High Republic is still within Yoda's lifetime?

Yup. This is one of the reasons I am most excited about this one. It is close enough to the sequels to have Yoda and Yaddle, but is far enough away from the prequels that I hope there won't be that looming feeling of impending canon. I hope the writers won't feel so much need to tie the story too much into the Skywalker saga and other canon; however, they won't be so far away from it that it'll go way of the rails and turn it into some massive train wreck fiasco. That is my fear for the post-sequel stuff. Depending on how far out they go with it, they definitely run the risk of giving the writers enough rope to hang themselves with.

I guess watching Season 2 of THE MΛNDΛLORIΛN knocked loose some Star Wars opinions from my brainpan. I kind of just accepted the initial news about all the upcoming shows dully, absent any sense of joy or surprise, but I suppose if one waits long enough the opinions sort of fester internally and eventually irrupt.

* I think I already alluded to how the Ahsoka show's title logo doesn't quite scan for me but, also, neither does the Andor one.

* 'The Acolyte' as a name for a Star Wars television program sounds like some *********** nonsense.

* I'd be excited for a Wraith Squadron show. I don't really super duper care about a Rogue Squadron show!

* The anime thing they're doing, their little Animatrix, it's probably what I'm most looking forward to. There's apparently been a whole Star Wars animated television show taking place during or near to the Sequel Trilogy times that I've spaced on, never even bothered to give it a chance, but that's probably because the promotional material made the animated style kind of seem like the same sort of boring as all the previous animated shows. This new thing'll probably be new animated styles every week!

* they're doing a Boba Fett show??? They've already doing a Boba Fett with the numbers filed off show and now they're gonna do both that AND a whole 'nother show for Boba Fett AT THE SAME EXACT TIME!? Coming to Disney+ in Fall 2022, it's Solo 2 : One Last Shot and Dash Rendar!

* Rangers of the New Republic is one of those titles they're doing now that has a v. particular vibe like, well, some guy on Twitter said it best :

e1xHJDD.png

I've seen a lot of sites speculating on the Obi Wan series regarding the rematch with Vader. The thinking goes that they will clash again, more than likely away from Tattooine and somehow this will help Obi Wan fake his death so as to better keep Luke hidden. In Rebels Vader tells Palpatine he's still looking for him. I wonder if they keep this in mind when doing the series since Disney swore everything counts.

What you are saying is true most likely. I won't judge something before seeing it and it's possible that it will be done in a way that we all go "wow, that really worked". But the more likely outcome is it will just be a cool fight that kinda shows Vader being more badass in the suit than he was able to be in ANH against Obi Wan.

Its the same as the Luke scene in Mandalorian. Its cool and fun to watch but it doesn't add to his character. Its not like "oh this is a missing piece".

And all of that is fine there 100% is a place in Star Wars for just cool, bad ass and fun scenes. 

That’s true, but in this case there is the risk that it detracts from the power of their meeting in ANH. I don’t want to get all ‘ruined my childhood’ about this, but there’s a power to the “I was but the learner” line. And it works with the ass-handing Vanakin got in Ep III (even if I don’t want the PT in my head canon). 
Sure there’s a way to justify/explain that line with a second earlier meeting, but it will be hanging over the whole thing for me. It’s all just unnecessary. 
I agree there’s probably a clever way to do it though and Filoni has been consistently clever with things so maybe he’ll surprise me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.