Disney Investor News Dump

The Choc

Im not sure if anyone else watched the little 90 second video of Patty Jenkins announcing Rogue Squadron but it really gives me confidence she could make something special. She tells how her father was a fighter pilot who died in the line of duty. How as a little girl living near the base she could go outside and look up at the sky and see the jets flying around on training missions and was awed by them. That her dream has been to make the "greatest movie about fighter pilots ever" but the project never came together. So now she is going to make that movie about X-Wing pilots.

Pretty awesome. 

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

Also, I have a film industry techie question for you, Tank.  I know we have deep fake videos, but how well can a voice be synthesized to sound like James Earl Jones, if someone else says the lines.  Or, how successful can they be to strengthen JEJ's voice to make it sound younger?

Deep fake itself is amazing, but the examples we see are the best of the best, and have had time taken to do them. But make no mistake, in 5 years, maybe less, it will perfected by FX companies and we'll never trust our eyes again. Voice synthesis is a long way off. That's why Vader never sounds quite right in all the SW video games and cartoons that JEJ didn't do. Hell-- even Carrie Fisher's ACTUAL voice saying lines in TROS felt weird because you knew they were being delivered out of context to the scenes.

Movies like to pretend the tech exists to synth a voice based on pre-existing words, but it's just not happening.

1 hour ago, The Choc said:

The Lando series is being called an event series, so Im left wondering if this is any different than Kenobi being called a limited series?

Limited means a short episode order, and likely just one season. Event means a longer episode order with a big budget, but likely still only one season. Both of these are bourn from the old school miniseries term for when Networks would make big stupid multi-part TV movies.

That said, everything has a short episode order and if something is a huge enough hit, they will do more, AND these terms are often conflated. 

42 minutes ago, The Choc said:

Im not sure if anyone else watched the little 90 second video of Patty Jenkins announcing Rogue Squadron but it really gives me confidence she could make something special. She tells how her father was a fighter pilot who died in the line of duty. How as a little girl living near the base she could go outside and look up at the sky and see the jets flying around on training missions and was awed by them. That her dream has been to make the "greatest movie about fighter pilots ever" but the project never came together. So now she is going to make that movie about X-Wing pilots.

Pretty awesome. 

I loved this video. I think it may make the aggro nerds shut up.

38 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

Also from the sounds of it, Rouge Squadron will be set after the sequels which is exciting. We’re getting a pretty wide range in terms of timelines here:

- High Republic (200 years before OT)

- The Empire years between RoTS and ANH

- Post OT pre sequel 

- Post sequel

As fun as this is, I worry that it's a little confusing, especially for casual fans, which this stuff still has to resonate with.

53 minutes ago, Dark Wader said:

Also from the sounds of it, Rouge Squadron will be set after the sequels which is exciting. We’re getting a pretty wide range in terms of timelines here:

- High Republic (200 years before OT)

- The Empire years between RoTS and ANH

- Post OT pre sequel 

- Post sequel

So if I understand right, the High Republic is still within Yoda's lifetime?

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

Deep fake itself is amazing, but the examples we see are the best of the best, and have had time taken to do them. But make no mistake, in 5 years, maybe less, it will perfected by FX companies and we'll never trust our eyes again. Voice synthesis is a long way off. That's why Vader never sounds quite right in all the SW video games and cartoons that JEJ didn't do. Hell-- even Carrie Fisher's ACTUAL voice saying lines in TROS felt weird because you knew they were being delivered out of context to the scenes.

Movies like to pretend the tech exists to synth a voice based on pre-existing words, but it's just not happening.

Limited means a short episode order, and likely just one season. Event means a longer episode order with a big budget, but likely still only one season. Both of these are bourn from the old school miniseries term for when Networks would make big stupid multi-part TV movies.

That said, everything has a short episode order and if something is a huge enough hit, they will do more, AND these terms are often conflated. 

I loved this video. I think it may make the aggro nerds shut up.

As fun as this is, I worry that it's a little confusing, especially for casual fans, which this stuff still has to resonate with.

Thank you for answering that!

I would have much preferred Rogue Squadron set between ANH and ROTJ, but that would require recasting not just Wedge, but also Luke.  I think it would be better however, if it were set post ROTJ, in conjunction with the Rangers...Have the Rangers cleaning up planets on the ground, Rogue Squadron providing air support in some episodes, but also on missions of their own with their own series.  I mean you know Mando-Rangers-and Ahsoka will likely have crossover episodes.  They could have had a post Luke and Post Wedge Rogue Squadron, with new characters...maybe even Poe's Dad or something.

Just cause I know everyone is dying to hear my opinion on this here is a ranking of how excited I am for each announced project, other than the Waititi movie which there isn't enough info about.

Visions: I've never been an anime guy and I don't expect to be one now. I won't say Id never watch this but its not the kind of thing I'd make a point to watch. Having said that Im sure there are alot of fans who could really love this. Level of excitement: 0 lightsabers

A Droids Life: My guess is this will be aimed firmly at younger kids, which is cool by me. They should always have some kid content going at this point. As for myself not very excited. Level of excitement: 1/2 lightsaber

The Bad Batch: Being kinda split on previous animated shows, I loved Rebels and am kinda blah towards The Clone Wars, this isn't something Im dying to see. Having said that it will probably be pretty good. Level of excitement: 3 lightsabers

Rangers of the New Republic: Im sure Tank's info is true and Favreau is running it, which is a good thing. Seems like he and Filoni are kinda being given the space between the OT and ST as their own which is kinda cool. Im guessing we will see some Mando characters here, especially Carra Dunne. The idea of a group of soldiers out there putting out fires on the fringes of Republic space is pretty cool. Then intersperse that with one main villian and it definitely should be good. Level of excitement: 9 lightsabers

Ahsoka: As I said Im not a big fan of the Clone Wars so Im not bonded with Ahsoka. I am a sucker for saber fighting and all that which is why this is above "Rangers". Level of excitement: 10 lightsabers

Lando: Im a Solo fan and Lando was maybe the best thing in it so this sounds good to me. My question is do they go pre Solo or post Solo. Going pre would allow Lando to fly the Falcon and have L3, going post could allow them to go into the story that was obviously somewhat planned to stem from Solo and lead to appearances by Han, Chewie, Maul, Emilia Clarke. Honestly Im 100% cool either way. Level of excitement: 17 lightsabers

The Acolyte: I like the idea of leaving the confines of the PT-OT-ST timeline so this is pretty cool. Also just the idea of a mystery/thriller set in Star Wars sounds pretty awesome to me. Don't know too much about this one but the little we do I like thus far. LOE: 19 lightsabers

Andor: From the start I loved the idea of a spy story set in Star Wars. I really hope the spycraft is the main part of the show rather than just a quick excuse to lead to action. Like I hope the premise isn't like "our spies have us this info, we gotta take out whatever" and then its about taking out whatever.  I hope the show is about the actual spying. I think it could be great. Level of excitemen: 27.5 lightsabers

Kenobi: I was a bit iffy on this and they coulda played it safe by having Obi Wan just on Tatooine saving some village from Tuskens. I love they are taking a swing and having Vader on it and evidently the 2 fight. Honestly just the fact that someone will call him Obi Wan and some fan will flip out that he said in ANH that he hadn't been called that since before Luke was born is enough for me to love it. LOE: 37 lightsabers

Rogue Squadron: I have my reasons for loving this when I mentioned the video Jenkins made so no need to go over it again. LOE: All of the lightsabers

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I'd be bummed if Rogue Squadron is post-ROTS. I'd much rather it be in the middle of the Rebellion, with Wedge in command (recast, obv). Or post-ROTJ, concurrent with Mando. I'm finding it hard to give a shit about anything in the ST era.

In theory I agree-- but I also like the idea of not being boxed in by ANY continuity at all. If I was in charge, I would set EVERYTHING after TROS so as not to muddy things-- which, even though I am down for an Ahsoka show, you KNOW it will.

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

So if I understand right, the High Republic is still within Yoda's lifetime?

Yup, maybe we will see the origins of Yoda and Yaddle’s relationship ;)

And I agree with Tank, setting it outside of the existing continuity is what makes it exciting, not necessarily the era it’s set. The stakes are higher because we don’t know who ultimately wins. 

48 minutes ago, Tank said:

In theory I agree-- but I also like the idea of not being boxed in by ANY continuity at all. If I was in charge, I would set EVERYTHING after TROS so as not to muddy things-- which, even though I am down for an Ahsoka show, you KNOW it will.

This is a good point, I can accept this. 

it would be nice if there was a Star Wars thing that didn’t affect EVERYTHING ELSE. Mandolorian kinda did it a bit, but not really

One thing about Rogue Squadron that could be cool is making the idea of being a pilot important in Star Wars again. Obviously it's not something thats been totally forgotten about but its been so far superseded by becoming a Jedi. In A New Hope the idea of Luke wanting to be a pilot and his father having been a great pilot is so important as time goes along that sort of goes to the wayside compared to his Jedi training. Its the same with Rey in the ST. Its not really a criticism, just a fact. Would be cool to have a young character whose dream is to become a pilot and that stays their dream and doesn't become secondary to them wanting to be a Jedi. 

14 hours ago, The Choc said:

I don't think the time setting matters all that much for Rogue Squadron. Its going to be about getting the characters right: the cocky newcomer, the seasoned vet, the newcomers rival etc.

In the end, you are right.  Maybe do a bit of a riff on Top Gun. 

You know, it occurred to me that maybe the reason they hired Hayden Christiansen to reprise the Vader role, is because they may use him in flashbacks in both Obi Wan, and Ahsoka.  Also the fact we will be getting an Obi wan series with Ewan M and HC, literally is something I have wanted ever since seeing Rogue One.

5 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

I assumed that is why as well.  It has to be.  You don't go from a 6'8" bodybuilder and effectively go to a skinny 6'0".   It might be ok for one scene or so, like ROTS did.  

I personally think HC will be fine in the suit, but like Mandalorian, I am sure they will have multiple stunt men in the suit, in addition to HC.

On 12/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, The Choc said:

Kenobi: Honestly just the fact that someone will call him Obi Wan and some fan will flip out that he said in ANH that he hadn't been called that since before Luke was born is enough for me to love it. LOE: 37 lightsabers

Pa ha ha! Love this - so true!!

Its interesting - on Friday I was very concerned on reading about a clash between Vader & Kenobi. How do you get them to meet, both come away without any further injury (well to Kenobi at least), and Vader losing track of him again. 

Reading the posts here puts me more at ease, and I am very excited about the thought of more flashbacks to pre-ROTS with Ashoka added into that mix also. Potential here and I was already very happy that Ewan was coming back. Best part of the prequels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.