Is Star Trek TOS really a campy show?

Zathras

OMG don't get me started on that!  The TOS Connie is second only to the TMP refit, when it comes to my favorite sci fi ships!  So graceful.  Simultaneously a product of the space race and the "future!"

I have this thread from a while back, showing off a few models I made.

• 2 weeks later...

Side Note:

If anyone wants to do a seven story or day whatever marathon of the original cast then I’d suggest something like the following and in the listed order. This is also the list and order I now tell people when they chat to me about wanting to try out “this Star Trek thing”.

The Original Series (TOS)

City on the Edge of Forever (S1E28)
Journey to Babel (S2E10)
Space Seed (S1E22)

The Films

The Wrath of Khan
Search for Spock
The Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country

16 hours ago, Spider-Man said:

Side Note:

If anyone wants to do a seven story or day whatever marathon of the original cast then I’d suggest something like the following and in the listed order. This is also the list and order I now tell people when they chat to me about wanting to try out “this Star Trek thing”.

The Original Series (TOS)

City on the Edge of Forever (S1E28)
Journey to Babel (S2E10)
Space Seed (S1E22)

The Films

The Wrath of Khan
Search for Spock
The Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country

All good picks!  Those are among my favorite episodes.  Whenever I rewatch the TOS movies, I watch all of them, but those four movies work as a saga.  You don't need to watch The Final Frontier as it is the weakest of the 6 films.  That said, compared to STD and Picard, TFF is way better.  

In addition to those episodes, I would recommend to someone who has never seen TOS to watch these additional episodes:

Where No Man Has Gone Before S1,E3

The Menagerie Parts 1&2 S1, E 11/12

Balance of Terror  S1, E 14

Amok Time S2,E1

Who Mourns for Adonais S2, E2

The Changeling S2, E3

Mirror,Mirror S2, E 4

Doomsday Machine S2,E6

The Ultimate Computer S2, E 24

The Enterprise Incident S3, E2

The Tholian Web S3, E 9

The Empath S3, E 12

7 hours ago, Gamevet said:

I don't mind the original movie, sure it's a bit long and some can't relate to the story, but there's a lot to like about it.

I agree!  TMP seems to get hate, but it really is peak Star Trek.  It captures what Star Trek is supposed to be.  The cinematography is just nothing short of amazing, and I think that the FX mostly still hold up.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.