A/S/L?

Odine

4 hours ago, Odine said:

Is it primarily the climate and darkness of winter that people don't like about Alaska? Cause I went to Tromsø in the very north of Norway, which is in the Arctic circle and during winter there is only about 2 hours of civil twilight and the rest is darkness. But people are super happy and love the winter months, fully embracing the reality that the environment brings. The coziness of being inside but also the extremity of the environment outside. Skiing, ice fishing, skating, climbing all that stuff. Do people in Alaska not have a similar attitude to surviving the winters there? 

Alot of the people that live there are transplants, and if you didn't grow up there, (or somewhere like it), it can be quite a shock from a climate and cultural perspective.

Being from Texas, I didn't have much exposure to cold weather activities, so I didn't have any of the gear or know-how to do a lot of that stuff. 

I mostly just drank a lot. I could afford that hobby, and the learning curve wasn't too steep.

Alaskans feel as complex as like say anyone... like say the timeline of insert any franchise. You will find people that hate Alaska so much, but are “trapped” here financially. You’ll find people that love it more than their own kin. You’ll find it all in between.

I’m originally a military kid transplant, born and raised until 6yo in England (became a US citizen as a teen), then lived in Maryland Virginia US for a duty period and then up to Alaska when I was 10yo. I’m 42 yo now, turning 43 in weeks. I’ve camped in sub zero temps, I’ve fished, I have skied, hiked, all that wilderness stuff except for hunted with either a bow or firearm. Generally I both love and hate Alaska, which is probably barely different than how most people feel about wherever they live (not including horrific, abusive, jailed or whatever conditions someone could live in of course). That said, if I could afford it I’d move yesterday and never return... even tho I know I’m more an Alaskan than anything.

Side Note: Geeky characters I often feel like I understand a bunch because of this location hopping childhood (and too many other things that I don’t care to reiterate) are Worf and Spock. I only feel home with my family. I don’t feel home in a location.

I'm a man, baby!

Pendleton, IN (just about 10 minutes north of Indianapolis) 

Pendleton is a small town.  Mostly rednecks.  Geist and Fishers are one small town over, closer to Indy.  Rich folks.  Fancy homes in fancy suburbs.  I'm not sure who I hate more.  Them or the rednecks. Probably the rich folks.  At least they tip better. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.