A/S/L?

Odine

36 minutes ago, Tank said:

45/M-ish/Los Angeles

I am old. I have posted here since I was 24. I will be 46 next month. 

Male, but anti-bro in every way. 

Los Angeles-- maybe you've heard of it. Moved here for grad school in 1999, and never left. I wanted to work in film and TV, and it only took a decade or so of work to finally break in. Now I am an insufferable douchebag. I can also now afford to live in LA, which is crazy. Looking to buy a new home soon. That means when I'm ready to cash out I can live like a pimp in the woods somewhere.

Anti-bro dude with dreams of being a woodsman and livin' his best life. Got it.

This sounds like it would work pretty well as a sketch comedy prompt. Like, hmmm I don't know... maybe something you'd see on Monty Python. I'm sure they could do something with that.

2 hours ago, Metropolis said:

I wanted to hate Columbus but the people there were so nice to us for the Miami-Ohio State game back in 2010. 

I’m glad to hear it. 

Columbus legitimately is a combination of all the good things about small town life combined with city life. We’re basically a bunch of small towns wearing a trench coat.

7 hours ago, Tank said:

You guys are missing it— if I retire to the woods it’s not going to be to rough it. The modern world has reached the country.

Of course. No one wants to rough it. You just want to soak in the majestic wilderness with your best girl by your side.

You're just pinin' for the woods. Naturally, you'd still have to be near enough to the city for stuff like eating butter scones, midweek shopping trips, and bar hopping.

10 hours ago, Metropolis said:

We also loved that huge outdoor mall. My wife said that place is actually outside of Columbus. She seemingly knows every inch of Ohio whereas I know about half of Florida.

Easton? If that’s the one, and it’s the only one I can think of that isn’t an outlet mall, it’s in Columbus. It is really nice. I used to hang out there a lot when I was younger.

42/m/upstate NY

I live in a small town roughly 65 miles from NYC. In the beautiful Hudson Valley with the Shawangunk Ridge visible in the distance, which is basically the start of the Catskill Mountains. It's your typical nice small town. Perfectly situated close enough for a quick trip to NYC or if you go in the other direction into the real county. Several wineries are close, including the oldest winery in the US. Decent skiing is close too. The Delaware River isn't very far for rafting or kayaking. You can even get to the ocean pretty quick at the Jersey Shore or Long Island. 

I also have a home about an hour northwest of me on a lake in the Catskill Mountains. I love it there. Its a smaller lake but you can use a motor boat on it. Its the kind of place where many of the people there are 2nd or 3rd generation owners. My grandparents bought a home there in 1965 which is now owned by my cousin. My house is 2 houses down but our docks adjoin which basically gives us one large dock, which is great because the parcels along the lake are pretty small on their own. 

8 hours ago, Odine said:

Testy though. Was just making conversation.

The only thing I know about  Alaska is the existence of the dog breed, you got bears, an Ice Hockey team and Sarah Palin.

Ironically, Alaska doesn't have a professional hockey team at the moment. They do have quite a few players from there that play on NHL teams though. For a while, they did have an EHCL (minor league) team, but that eventually got sold and moved to the lower 48 as well due to lagging ticket sales. The market just isn't big enough to support even a semi-pro hockey team up there.

The team (Alaska Aces), were pretty good too. Since the EHCL is a feeder league for the NHL, a lot of folks either played in both, or started on the Aces, and eventually moved full-time to the NHL. Very fun games to watch live. The arena is pretty small, so it has a nice cozy feel to it. 

On 12/2/2020 at 7:21 PM, Tank said:Also-- who is no one going into detail on their gender or age?

Odine didn’t ask for those details!

38. Been here since I was 17.5. Born in 1982 so I’m one of those “X-ennials” that doesn’t really fit into a generation.

And I’m a cis woman with very feminine tendencies and interests, even though I went through an androgynous phase in high school.

There.

6 hours ago, Spider-Man said:

Sarah Palin bailed on Alaska the first chance she got, which less ardently Alaskan folk will admit that they can’t blame her. The type of Alaskans that know how common malamutes are tho probably hold a grudge. lol

I am by no means an authority on this, but I personally got the distinct impression while I lived there that the city dwellers in Alaska were very much a mixed bag.

Some of them were rugged outdoors types, but there were quite a few that through life circumstances found themselves in Anchorage or Fairbanks, and sure: city life in AK isn't like city life in other places, but it isn't so rough that all people with ties there leave and stay gone. My in-laws are a good example of this mixed bag.

My mother-in-law was born and raised in Los Angeles before moving there. She doesn't love AK, but she manages, and looks forward to retiring somewhere warm. She self-admittedly wouldn't have lasted this long anywhere but Anchorage.

My father-in-law on the other hand would have done just fine on Kodiak Island, Nome, or one of the countless small villages only accessible by plane.

Is it primarily the climate and darkness of winter that people don't like about Alaska? Cause I went to Tromsø in the very north of Norway, which is in the Arctic circle and during winter there is only about 2 hours of civil twilight and the rest is darkness. But people are super happy and love the winter months, fully embracing the reality that the environment brings. The coziness of being inside but also the extremity of the environment outside. Skiing, ice fishing, skating, climbing all that stuff. Do people in Alaska not have a similar attitude to surviving the winters there? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.