The Leaf Blower Murders

RUAJedi2

Our next door neighbors love their leaf blowers. They use them every day. For hours at a time. 

They mostly do it in the daytime, mostly. Did I mention it is usually two or three hours of godawful noise? Every day. Rain or shine. Their yard is not that big. Why does it take three hours? Every. Goddamn. Day. 

Sometimes, though, they are out for an hour or two after dark. Blowing a leaf around the yard. 

The leaf blowers are loud. I do not like them. Or the neighbors. I wish they had other hobbies, but they love leaf blowing. It starts around the last week of August and goes right through whenever the last sad, brown leaf falls. Fun fact: some species of oak don't release their leaves until they begin to bud in the spring. Our neighbors are there, waiting, like a pride of lions watching for a zebra to show a sign of weakness. When that last leathery, draggled leaf flutters to the ground, they pounce on it, leaf blowers roaring, merciless in their demonic, leaf-hating fury.

I have never had to live with this until I moved into my crappy apartment. Three guys come every Wednesday, the complex next to us does their blowing on Thursday and a guy across the parking lot from me does his own for at least 3 hours every Thursday evening.

I want to know why these things are legal. They HAVE to be above the legal noise limit. They are an abomination. I would go postal on people doing this for hours every day. POSTAL.

I went over to try and reason with the sole guy once. He pretended he couldn't hear me and wouldn't shut his blower off. I have fantasies of blowing outside his crappy apartment at 5 on weekend morning.

I see how handy they can be but there HAS to be an alternative. The shit they blow blows back in days so why bother?

This must stop

On 11/22/2020 at 5:44 PM, RUAJedi2 said:

Their yard is pretty much bare dirt and patches of moss. I dunno.

IMG_20201122_124519319.jpg

Irony is, if the guy just let the leaves fall and stay on his grass they decompose and make excellent compost, promoting biodiversity and therby improving the health of the soil. His grass would grow better if he didn't blow all the leaves away.

48 minutes ago, Metropolis said:

It's actually the opposite. Decomposing leaves take the grass underneath with it. If the grass is covered with leaves, it blocks or the sunlight and causes those patches to die off. Depending on what type of grass you have it can be a bitch to grow that spot back.

There’s not a whole lot that guy can do to hurt his grass now, since it’s non-existent. He really needs to start over and take care of his dirt, if he wants grass.

One of the 80 year old ladies that lives in my complex had to move out of her condo because the people who live next door to her think it is appropriate to lay tile and run a tile cutting saw at 10 PM at night. They usually stop around midnight but I think some day I am going to have cops blocking my covered parking because a fight broke out with the other neighbors who live above and beside them on the opposite side. 

They also have a broken window in their driver side door that they fixed by doing to pieces of an animal cage together with bread ties and then duct taping them around the window edges to get it stay after kind of pounding the edges to wrap around the metal frame. It works but is bizarroooooooh!

• 3 weeks later...

Look up the noise ordinance regulations for your city. They could be breaking some rule by constantly producing that much noise all day long. Video them in the act, so you'll have proof. Call the cops, they might be able to help. People have a reasonable expectation of peace and quiet in their neighborhood for most of the day.

I don't know why leaf blowers are legal. If you have a normal size yard, there's no reason you can't use a broom or a rake. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.