Cancel culture comes to Nightly

Hobbes

I had been wanting to do this for years...decades.  I wanted the name Hobbes when I registered originally over twenty yeas ago.  I finally pulled the trigger. 

Why now?  First, Card is a kind of a horrible person.  Second, about eleven or so years ago I reread EG when I was the emergency English teacher for the last few months of the school year.  Ender's Game, upon reading it as an adult, kinda sucks.  In fact, other than Speaker and Xenocide, he really isn't that great of a writer.  It lead to me hating the 'chosen one' trope and had some pretty cringy writing and shitting politics.  Finally, I have always identified with Hobbes and that identification is only increasing as I get older (I am also a fan of Thomas Hobbes). 

Is there a character from your youth that you strongly identified with and only over time you grew to resent?

• Hobbes changed the title to Cancel culture comes to Nightly

It might help if you told people who you are.

But, no, I can’t think of any situations like that. There are certainly things from childhood that I wouldn’t enjoy anymore, but that’s because they’re aimed at children. 

Yay Hobbes! 

I was such an OSC fan. Bought so many of his books. Went to an author signing and got a couple of books autographed. Ran into him (literally--bumped him with my cart, oops) at a grocery store and got all fanboy stupid. Then he went off of the deep end with his homophobia and political rants, and I was all "nope". I tried to separate my distaste for him as a person from the love I had for the works he produced, but then his writing just went to shit. I read a couple of the books he wrote in the Ender's Shadow series and just ... ugh.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.