Thanksgiving plans

RUAJedi2

I am cooking this year and my wife is gluten/ dairy free.

I am making a butterball turkey breast, roasted root vegetable medley, cornbread (gluten free mix with rice milk), and cranberry sauce. 

We are still making our way through Halloween candy and they get enough milkshakes and sweets as it is....

Today is weird as hell. No visits (doing the small family thing tomorrow), no rowdy ass kids yelling next door, no visit to the in-laws, didn't watch the Macy's "parade", and all three humans in the house are as physically distant as possible, doing our own thing. 

Although any Thanksgiving on which I don't have to hear "Alice's Restaurant" counts as a win.

We watched the parade, part of the dog show, and then the LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special. Now we’re outside playing with neighbors who are sort of part of our bubble, but even with them we wear masks.

I did a bunch of chopping while the parade and dog show were on, and other prep for food that my wife is making. I also stayed up until almost 1 doing cleanup around the house, but it’s almost impossible to tell. The kitchen was a mess, toys were everywhere in three different rooms, and I had just let it all go because we were doing a Zoom gathering with my family last night. I really should have put all my attention into half-assing one job instead of 1/8 assing several jobs.

My wife also made enough food for at least a dozen adults. Our kids ate almost nothing, but I ate enough for two, so that makes up for some of it. Also my first time carving a turkey, but my first job was as a carver at Boston Market, which included carving whole chickens. Not all that different, even with a lifetime in between that job and now.

I picked up a smoked turkey from Dickey's BBQ. I only had to cook it in the oven for 2 hours. I made deviled eggs, stuffing, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. I heated up a Mrs. Smith Pumpkin pie for desert.

We had planned to drive to Florida, to have festivities with her sister and husband, along with the brother-in-law and a couple of nieces and nephews, but her sister's husband is going through chemo and they were worried about his immune system being weak.

Overcooked the turkey, as usual. Tried to make cranberry sauce on the fly since thr grocery store was out. It didn't cook down in time so we will see tomorrow. Ended up only making the breast and wing, so we have about enough for turkey pot pie. May make the leg and thigh later in the week, but I'm going to advocate for freezing some of it for later instead of eating turkey until we are sick of it.

Zoomsgiving went pretty well. We usually spend Thanksgiving alone, so this was nice. I'm also glad my dad didn't have to spend it alone.

I went up to my friend, Jackie's, because I've been at her house each Friday since I got back from Florida in March. Three of her kids stopped by at different times. We had White Russians and Cougar Gold cheese, salami and crackers. She just got a gazebo and fire pit so we all sat outside. It was all very PacNW. But I miss not having turkey leftovers.

Closest we had was my MIL making comments about everyone's hair. Sorry lady, haircuts aren't on the priority list here. So my husband chopped his hair off today. Honestly, should've done it months ago. I started refusing to help because he's so picky and wigs out if he thinks you made a mistake. Was tempted to pull a Jackass on him and put the clippers on low and give him a reverse Mohawk last time. It'll look good in a few weeks. 

We went to the restaurant supply and got a turkey breast, which we thought would be like a meat form thing but was actually a gigantic turkey breast sans carcass that we did in the Instant Pot and it was really delicious.

Everything turned out perfectly, even the cheese pie I thought for sure I had flubbed badly.

I almost never eat Cougar Gold because $45 a tin so it was a very nice gift for the holiday!

I cut my own bangs this past Summer and I did the worst job EVAR. My hair grows so fast it was no big deal but Jackie told me "pardon me for being so not PC but your look is bordering on Special Needs" and I just kept saying, enthusiastically "I think I look good!" I'll come cut Mr Skywalker's hair next time.

ALSO I GOT NO pecan pie this year, runny or otherwise. I ate my two small apple and pumpkin pieces Thursday night and SO should have saved them for Friday breakfast. I did traffic on our big news station here both Thursday and Friday and that's always a chore-a minute every 10 minutes even if there's no traffic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.