Thanksgiving plans

RUAJedi2

So, what's everyone doing for Turkey Day? We're having my sister and her husband over, and that's it, because COVID. The mom-in-law up and announced that she will not be hosting this year, thank ya very much. There are usually 30+ people at her place, so good on her!

I'm still cooking the following, because gluttony:

Brined roast turkey

Cornbread dressing with sage and onions

Mashed taterses, precious.

Sautéed brussels sprouts with apples and walnuts

Glazed carrots (because sweet potatoes are disgusting. Fight me!)

Rolls

Gravy

Retro cranberry jello salad

4-day coconut cake

My sis is bringing ham and an apple pie. We'll have leftovers until Christmas.

We don't have any family where we live so it will just be the five of us...me, my wife, two boys, and our dog Murray.  We were supposed to drive to Kansas City for a combo Thanksgiving/ grandma's 85th birthday but that was cancelled due to covid---which surprised me because most of my family thinks it is a hoax.  Fortunately my aunt, who does not think it is a hoax, coordinated this. 

I swear I am the only person alive that doesn't like traditional Thanksgiving food.  I am the chef in the family (as in I am the only one that cooks things involving more than 2 ingredients and 2 steps) and do the bulk of the cooking in the house.  I don't have any desire to learn how to cook all that, so we will probably just order a small Thanksgiving meal from a local restaurant or store. 

Since it's almost definitely just the four of us (we might do a joint dinner with some friends who are already in our bubble but I'm guessing not), we're doing it much more low key. We're probably gonna roast a chicken instead of doing turkey since none of us care about turkey that much, plus we have ground turkey pretty regularly instead of beef. Nothing too crazy, just simple sides and veggies I guess. I'm really watching my sugar/carb intake now since I'm on the cusp of diabetes (thanks dad/grandma/that whole side of the family for those genes), so cutting out a few of the usual staples is a bummer, but it'll be fine.

It'll just be the two of us, so I have no desire to make turkey since neither of us cares much about turkey either.  I imagine we will end up with a blend of some traditional thanksgiving food like some sort of veggies, mashed potatoes, and stuffing, which is my favorite part of the meal, and some Chinese traditional foods for special occasions, like dumplings.  Usually, we have had Thanksgiving with local friends, but that's definitely out this year.  I'm looking forward to our Zoom calls with various family members, though.

Just 2 of us here, too.  Though I will make a plate for my Dad, who does not like family dinners, so I will drop off to him later in the day.

Nothing special.  Boneless 5lb turkey breast, green beans, stuffing,  mashed taters (Bob Evan's is my friend), salad and pie.

Just the five of us here. Me, my wife, and three kids. My wife is still planning a feast so we will also have leftovers forever.

Turkey

Whole wheat rolls

Corn casserole

Squash / sweet potatoes/ Brussels sprouts 

Cranberry salad

Stuffing

Dessert - pumpkin cheesecake 

My folks and I usually go to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving, but she's sick this year so we won't be going anywhere. We'll probably just have a quiet meal among the three of us, though I'd like to see if I can go up to the monastery instead. I've been wanting to go for their Thanksgiving dinner for years because I've heard the nuns make a fake turkey out of tuna, and I have breaking the Nativity fast for Thanksgiving, but I have idea idea what they're doing with COVID this year.

My grandmother's 80th birthday was 2 weeks ago, and all she asked for was for "all of us" to be together for Thanksgiving. So we're going to my sister's new lodge in the woods. My BIL built a 22 ft long table specifically so we can start doing big family events up there. So it'll be the 4 of us, my sister, BIL, and niece, my brother and nephew, both grandparents, and dad and stepmom. The boys and I are going to stay up there for about a week to play in the woods and whatnot. My sister and baby niece will probably be with us for most of that time, but the rest of them can barely tolerate family get togethers that they didn't specifically plan, so they won't be staying. 

So far the menu is prime rib, turkey, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, dressing, carrots, mac n cheese, a variety of pies, and maybe a cake. 

My sister has been living with me for a month now. She's doing pretty good. I am just stressing with paperwork for Medicaid because it's been endless stuff with them. She is starting to run out of prescription refills and we need to take her to a doctor to get some of them renewed. It was easier to get the HEB script service than it is to get coverage during open enrollment. But we pay full price for some of her scripts because of no insurance (she takes generic xanax to help with anxiety).

We're going to do an outdoor thanksgiving. I'm making turkey (no salt brine because of diet requirements), stuffing with bread - no cornbread and it has to be without the 'phosphorus' family in the ingredients, celery, onions, raisins and apricots, sausage crumbles and some no salt seasoning, green bean casserole, and salad with some deviled eggs for her. We're going to meet at a friends house and sit outside far apart. 

Tina has dialysis on Turkey Day too. 

Traditional Thanksgiving food, the gathering will be the same as always, minus our Grandma who is 84. Be around 20-25 people. It’ll be at my mom’s this year, instead of Grandma’s.

Grandma lives close to my mom, so the plan is to bring her over a nice little thanksgiving spread and have her eat with us on Zoom. Should be fun. For 84, she’s actually pretty tech savvy. She has her own iPad and we’ll have an iPad set up at the house with zoom for everyone to pass around and talk with her.

Im all for getting together and keeping Thanksgiving as traditional as possible. But pretty much everyone in the family wholeheartedly agrees to keep Grandma home, as much as she isn’t a fan of it and wants to see all of her grand kids. But Grandma understands, she just doesn’t like it.

Just the 4 of us. Luna will be tripping on painkillers because she's getting spayed on Tuesday. She gets some turkey. My husband waited too long to order a turkey so we are getting a 14-16 lb turkey but the market is going to quarter it for us, so half is going into the freezer immediately.

Other than that, I am making a very small stuffing (I guess technically it's dressing because we aren't putting it into the bird, some pumpkin pie, potatoes, and I guess we better figure out a vegetable. And I need some cranberry orange sauce but I'll probably just buy it because I'm really the only one who likes it. I am mostly looking forward to making turkey pot pie with leftovers. And I have a ton of apples so maybe I'll make apple pie this weekend.

On 11/20/2020 at 4:11 PM, David said:

Traditional Thanksgiving food, the gathering will be the same as always, minus our Grandma who is 84. Be around 20-25 people. It’ll be at my mom’s this year, instead of Grandma’s.

Grandma lives close to my mom, so the plan is to bring her over a nice little thanksgiving spread and have her eat with us on Zoom. Should be fun. For 84, she’s actually pretty tech savvy. She has her own iPad and we’ll have an iPad set up at the house with zoom for everyone to pass around and talk with her.

Im all for getting together and keeping Thanksgiving as traditional as possible. But pretty much everyone in the family wholeheartedly agrees to keep Grandma home, as much as she isn’t a fan of it and wants to see all of her grand kids. But Grandma understands, she just doesn’t like it.

Dude...don't you work in grocery stores?  What about everyone else's 84-year-old grandma?

3 hours ago, Hobbes said:

Dude...don't you work in grocery stores?  What about everyone else's 84-year-old grandma?

Don’t guilt trip me. Last week I worked around hundreds of thousands of shoppers in grocery stores who were out buying groceries. My company is in the middle of a pandemic. 30% of our work force is out right now because of covid quarantine. I worked 72 hours last week. Probably gonna work 60+ hours this week. Only gonna have a day off because everything is closed thanksgiving. I am exposed to COVID-19 every fucking day through work and having to work stores like Walmart’s and Sams. Me having one fucking day with family isn’t going to change anything. If ANYTHING, me being with just 15-20 family members for about 3-5 hours who are taking precautions, to me, is a lot safer than me being in 2 Walmart grocery stores slinging chips for 14 hours and being around hundreds of shoppers who give no fucks about personal space and keeping 6ft. And half of them don't even wear a fucking mask right. They wear it like a fucking chin diaper. It infuriates me.

I've been working every single day in this pandemic since it started wreaking havoc in march, exposed to the virus every.single.fucking.day. I'm far more likely to get covid from my job (would not be surprised if i already had it) than a little family gathering for just a few hours. the first family gathering we've had of any kind since covid has hit. Don't come in here with smart ass comments and assume i don't give a shit about other peoples 84 year old grandmas.

1 hour ago, David said:

Don’t guilt trip me. Last week I worked around hundreds of thousands of shoppers in grocery stores who were out buying groceries. My company is in the middle of a pandemic. 30% of our work force is out right now because of covid quarantine. I worked 72 hours last week. Probably gonna work 60+ hours this week. Only gonna have a day off because everything is closed thanksgiving. I am exposed to COVID-19 every fucking day through work and having to work stores like Walmart’s and Sams. Me having one fucking day with family isn’t going to change anything. If ANYTHING, me being with just 15-20 family members for about 3-5 hours who are taking precautions, to me, is a lot safer than me being in 2 Walmart grocery stores slinging chips for 14 hours and being around hundreds of shoppers who give no fucks about personal space and keeping 6ft. And half of them don't even wear a fucking mask right. They wear it like a fucking chin diaper. It infuriates me.

I've been working every single day in this pandemic since it started wreaking havoc in march, exposed to the virus every.single.fucking.day. I'm far more likely to get covid from my job (would not be surprised if i already had it) than a little family gathering for just a few hours. the first family gathering we've had of any kind since covid has hit. Don't come in here with smart ass comments and assume i don't give a shit about other peoples 84 year old grandmas.

I apologize for coming off as snarky and I respect the work you do.  I was a merchandiser for Coke in college and worked in grocery stores through high school.  

I have an 84-year-old grandma...85 on Thanksgiving.  She isn't doing well (non-Covid) and this might be the last opportunity I have to see her.  I haven't seen my family in nearly two years.  I was supposed to go back to KC and visit this summer but we cancelled the party.

We are all under a lot of stress due to all this bullshit and I should have been more understanding of your circumstances before I posted that...especially when you posted something genuine and honest in an area of our lives (nightly) that we consider safe and escape from our lives.

Again, I am sorry...

1 minute ago, Darth Ender said:

I apologize for coming off as snarky and I respect the work you do.  I was a merchandiser for Coke in college and worked in grocery stores through high school.  

I have an 84-year-old grandma...85 on Thanksgiving.  She isn't doing well (non-Covid) and this might be the last opportunity I have to see her.  I haven't seen my family in nearly two years.  I was supposed to go back to KC and visit this summer but we cancelled the party.

We are all under a lot of stress due to all this bullshit and I should have been more understanding of your circumstances before I posted that...especially when you posted something genuine and honest in an area of our lives (nightly) that we consider safe and escape from our lives.

Again, I am sorry...

Goddamnit...

Ah it's cool man. Now i feel like an asshole. I really appreciate the apology and I'm sorry for absolutely going off the deep end with no restraint. It's safe to say that we're all stressed out and ready for this shit to get better soon. I've had to give up so many days with my son these last several weeks because of all the work. Working my days off. And then when i get home i just wanna shower, eat and sleep. I almost want to say i have Covid symptoms and get knocked out of work for 2 weeks, per our company's policy. It would almost be like a vacation.

I completely understand about the Grandma situation. Haven't seen mine at all this year, when i would usually see her about once every 2 months. My Grandma is 84 (on Dec 1st) like i said earlier, and she's lived a hard 84 years. Throat cancer, breast cancer, quadruple bypass heart surgery all within the last 25 years. just had another pacemaker replacement 2 weeks ago. Broke her hip last year and had to have a hip replacement. Our family internally have been saying for the last 2-3 years that this will probably be the last thanksgiving/christmas with her around, but she still manages to defy the odds and is still living on her own, with the help of my mom going over 3-4 times a week to help with things. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.