The Biden Administration

Odine

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

I agree better pay would attract better staff, but considering how expensive nursing homes are now, I can only imagine what they would cost if you paid staff more.  People can barely afford nursing homes as it is, and they would surely pass the cost on to the patient.  Up the price, and only the truly wealthy will be able to afford nursing homes.  It's a vicious cycle. 

Nursing homes are an important part of healthcare and need to be treated as such. Until that happens, you’ll see problems like this.

50 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Nursing homes are an important part of healthcare and need to be treated as such. Until that happens, you’ll see problems like this.

I agree people need to be paid what they are worth, but  you are right.  This line of work needs to be treated by all of society as very important, and not seen as menial labor.  That is the only way things will change. 

My mom was a nurse, and spent the last 5 years in nursing as a shift manager nurse at a few different nursing homes.  The staff, including other nurses, however, didn't take their jobs seriously.  My mom would have to often do things that were above and beyond, including doing other nurses' work.  She also had a lack of respect from doctors, and the patients, and patient families.  It burned her out and got so bad, where she had to finally just retire. 

On 1/23/2021 at 10:19 AM, Zathras said:

I agree people need to be paid what they are worth, but  you are right.  This line of work needs to be treated by all of society as very important, and not seen as menial labor.  That is the only way things will change. 

My mom was a nurse, and spent the last 5 years in nursing as a shift manager nurse at a few different nursing homes.  The staff, including other nurses, however, didn't take their jobs seriously.  My mom would have to often do things that were above and beyond, including doing other nurses' work.  She also had a lack of respect from doctors, and the patients, and patient families.  It burned her out and got so bad, where she had to finally just retire. 

Unfortunately, there are two worlds when it comes to nursing homes: if you have money, you can get into a really nice one. If you're not rich, you're screwed. And since the people setting policy are frequently worse, and people like Bernie are still considered radical fringe by many, the possibility of healthcare improving in the US is slim.

25 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Personally, the Bernie memes have gone way overboard.  But THAT is awesome.

I agree on both points. Plus I felt that I had an obligation to share it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.