Jeep Patriot

Jedigoat

Any car nuts here?   I'm thinking about a new car, well a used car, this weekend.   I like Jeeps but can't afford a Cherokee.  Wranglers are WAY out of my range.  So I'm thinking of a Patriot.  They fit into my budget and have that classic Jeep look, IMO.   

Anyone have any experience with one?

I heard bad things about patriots being underpowered noisy and over all not that great of quality.   Unless they brought them back and  I am out of the know, I think they discontinued them in 2017, and I think the Compass replaced them.  Are you considering because of a specific reason, or are you just looking into an SUV for daily driving?  

We have a Jeep Liberty that my wife drives. When her 2006 Liberty had a recall, we were given a Patriot to drive. It felt really floaty on the road and it just didn't have a lot of oomph when I hit the gas. She now has a fully loaded 2009 Liberty that has been beyond reliable. My only complaint is that the driver's seat needs a bit more leg room. I'm 6'-1" and my knees are nearly bent at a 90 degree angle. It's not uncomfortable, because I can still raise the height of the seat, but if we ever got in a front end collision, my knees would be in trouble.

7 hours ago, Zathras said:

I heard bad things about patriots being underpowered noisy and over all not that great of quality.   Unless they brought them back and  I am out of the know, I think they discontinued them in 2017, and I think the Compass replaced them.  Are you considering because of a specific reason, or are you just looking into an SUV for daily driving?  

The main reason is they're super affordable.  I found a 2017 with 24K miles on  it.  It's a steal but it's been on their lot for 110 days......so something has got to be wrong with these things.  

13 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

The main reason is they're super affordable.  I found a 2017 with 24K miles on  it.  It's a steal but it's been on their lot for 110 days......so something has got to be wrong with these things.  

They are super affordable, because they are pretty much crap. After reading this review, I now know why the thing felt under-powered when I drove it. It has a 4 piston engine that does not provide enough power for the weight is has to carry. Our Liberty has a 3.7 liter V6, that has excellent acceleration, when it is needed and it has an Infinity sound system. It's pretty much a Grand Cherokee, on a smaller frame.

https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/patriot/2017/review/

8 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

If it were me, I would pass on it.  They just don't have a good reputation from what I understand. But if you did buy, make sure you get an extended warranty. 

I drive a truck, and I am considering a crossover SUV, myself.  I've narrowed my preference to Toyota RAV 4, Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue, and (surprisingly) a Hyundai Tuscon.  With the COVID  lock downs having affected car sales, you might be able to find something new for not much more than a used one.  In my area new Tuscons are going for about $20k. 

It's floaty on the road. It also has a horrible sway when changing lanes and turning. It definitely doesn't feel like a Jeep. And this is coming from someone, who's mom drove an old Jeep in the early 70s. She had to pull the choke, pump the gas peddle a couple of time, and hope that she didn't flood the engine on ole' Betsy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.