Jump to content

Recommended Posts

They should. They won’t. They don’t care. As long as someone with an R after their name is in office, it keeps them in power and in money. That’s all that matters. He won’t be in power after January and is being replaced by the other party, so they’re pretending to have a spine now. That’s all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*conceited

They're why he got the nomination, let alone the presidency. He was a buffoon then. They treated him like a buffoon. Then they NEVER STOPPED FUCKING TALKING ABOUT HIM god I'm still mad

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

Yeah, now that he's a lame duck, republicans are finally waking up to the fact Trump is a non-starter for them.  The best thing they can do for themselves, no THE WORLD, is shun the fool, and blame everything wrong on him.  If they were smart, they would take steps to reform their primary process so some other populist like Trump (or Trump himself) doesn't do the same thing as what happened in 2016. 

I just read that a majority of Republicans want Trump to be the public face of the party for the next 4 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I am talking about the party leaders, but that is crazy.

The leaders don’t really have a say. If the voters still support Trump and follow him, they have the same choice as they did during his presidency - get on board or get run over. And now he’s even angrier than before.

Link to post
Share on other sites

But with Trump out of office, he is no longer the leader of the political party.  I think that would be MM, after Jan 20.  If Trump tries to undermine Biden by being unavoidable for comment and nit picking Biden every day, I think it will ultimately backfire on Trump. And the GOP if they don't nip this in the bud. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Zathras said:

But with Trump out of office, he is no longer the leader of the political party.  I think that would be MM, after Jan 20.  If Trump tries to undermine Biden by being unavoidable for comment and nit picking Biden every day, I think it will ultimately backfire on Trump. And the GOP if they don't nip this in the bud. 

It worked for 8 years under Obama. No reason to believe that’ll change.

Trump has full control of a sizable portion of the Republican base. Wrestling that away from him won’t be easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose time will tell when Fox News and pundits like Rush Limbaugh start turning on Trump, and stop supporting him.  You can only go so far to the right (or the left, for that matter) before people just see you as bat shit crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 4:48 PM, Zathras said:

I suppose time will tell when Fox News and pundits like Rush Limbaugh start turning on Trump, and stop supporting him.  You can only go so far to the right (or the left, for that matter) before people just see you as bat shit crazy.

I don't know. Trump is (allegedly) already talking privately with aides about holding a 2024 campaign rally on Biden's inauguration day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I really hope the media stops covering everything he does after he leaves office. They won’t, but I hope they do.

I totally agree with you! Unfortunately, I think most media will continue to cover him in a way like "look what idiotic thing Trump said or did today."  But by keeping his name in the news, will only serve to rile up the Trump true believers, and will help to undermine Biden's presidency.  I don't know if there is a good answer.  I just wish Trump would go away for good, but it's becoming clear to me he won't any time soon.  

I can understand why someone chooses to be a republican (life experience, job profession, etc), but I just simply don't get Trump's appeal. Even now, when it is clear that this year alone demonstrated Trump as an incompetent boob with no leadership skills, and was indifferent to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, not just in the US, but the world.   In fact today, all he was worried about is who gets credit for the pharma companies creating the vaccines.  As you probably guessed, he was blustering about how he is upset the news isn't giving him credit, and is afraid Biden will get credit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

They're why he got the nomination, let alone the presidency. He was a buffoon then. They treated him like a buffoon. Then they NEVER STOPPED FUCKING TALKING ABOUT HIM god I'm still mad

I know its nothing new.  And people here and in my life have tried to explain it to me. I just still don't get it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

For most Trump voters, the answer is obvious: he was the Republican nominee. And he didn’t become the nominee by winning a lot of contests, but because he was able to consistently do okay while other candidates knocked each other out during the primaries.

And for anyone who says that wouldn’t matter to them, how many have voted for a Republican for president? It’s a real issue, because parties do provide general guidelines for types of policies.

Another reason people wanted Trump was because he wasn’t a politician. People constantly complain about politicians and term-limits, and this was finally a guy who wasn’t one of those people.

White victimization is also a big factor. Especially white, conservative Christians believe that they’re victims of the modern world. Someone I know referred to Biden’s win as “our country trampling on God.” They honestly believe that it’s a matter of angels versus demons, and anyone on their side is justified in doing whatever it takes to win. 

Right wing media has also been increasingly hostile over the past several years. Rush was a powerhouse, and so were guys like Hannity and O’Reilly, but now you have those guys, plus this new breed like Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh who exist solely to hate the enemy. They aren’t selling some idea of conservatism, they’re just selling that the other team is evil. 
 

On top of that, you do have a small percentage that really is racist and/or sexist, and right now they fit in better with that party. They’re not voting Democrat period. I know this group exists because I have relatives in it, but it isn’t nearly as large a portion of Trump voters as people think.

The main reason people voted for Trump is because it was a vote against the other side. And, even if we disagree with it, everyone who said “Okay, Biden, I guess” did something similar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Fozzie said:

For most Trump voters, the answer is obvious: he was the Republican nominee. And he didn’t become the nominee by winning a lot of contests, but because he was able to consistently do okay while other candidates knocked each other out during the primaries.

And for anyone who says that wouldn’t matter to them, how many have voted for a Republican for president? It’s a real issue, because parties do provide general guidelines for types of policies.

Another reason people wanted Trump was because he wasn’t a politician. People constantly complain about politicians and term-limits, and this was finally a guy who wasn’t one of those people.

White victimization is also a big factor. Especially white, conservative Christians believe that they’re victims of the modern world. Someone I know referred to Biden’s win as “our country trampling on God.” They honestly believe that it’s a matter of angels versus demons, and anyone on their side is justified in doing whatever it takes to win. 

Right wing media has also been increasingly hostile over the past several years. Rush was a powerhouse, and so were guys like Hannity and O’Reilly, but now you have those guys, plus this new breed like Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh who exist solely to hate the enemy. They aren’t selling some idea of conservatism, they’re just selling that the other team is evil. 
 

On top of that, you do have a small percentage that really is racist and/or sexist, and right now they fit in better with that party. They’re not voting Democrat period. I know this group exists because I have relatives in it, but it isn’t nearly as large a portion of Trump voters as people think.

The main reason people voted for Trump is because it was a vote against the other side. And, even if we disagree with it, everyone who said “Okay, Biden, I guess” did something similar.

Valid observations. I struggled understanding the appeal as well for a while until I began reading a few studies about Moral Foundation Theory. One study in particular really put partisan perceptions into perspective for me. The study sheds light on how, not only do conservatives and liberals just have different moral foundations, they also grossly misjudge other people's intentions and moral foundations. So, what is Moral Foundation Theory?

In its simplest form:

- Conservatives focus primarily on building a more moral world by building a moral community
- Liberals focus primarily on building a more moral world by building more moral individuals

These are different ends, and as a result, require different means to those ends.

Conservative's primary means to their desired ends focus on:
- Loyalty (establishing an in-group of moral people, and recruiting people to it)
- Respect for Authority (ensure adherence to the moral law established by the in-group)
- Purity and Sanctity of the In-Group (establishing purity testing to ensure morality).

Liberal's primary means to their desired ends focus on:
- Do No Harm (Avoiding harm to all individuals, and bolstering those in need)
- Equality and Justice for All (Ensuring institutions provide level playing fields)

The interesting thing though is that even though these two groups have different moral compasses, they still understand the need for the other groups means and ends. That is part of their moral compass too, just to a lesser extent.

The crux of the issue isn't actual differences in morals, its inaccurate perception. Partisans don't believe that the other group is truly out to implement the means to their alleged ends. They assume hidden ulterior motives. Even more incredibly, the study finds that they even misjudge the level of adherence to these means and ends when asked about members of their own group! People (on both sides) have a tendency to perceive conservatives (as a whole) as much more conservative or and liberals (as a whole) as much more liberal than they actually are. This misconception is what feeds demonization and allows misinformation to grow, unchecked. Which in-turn puts additional pressure on people from those in their partisan tribe to disavow their opponents.

The take away for me from this election was that: despite the pressures of loyalty to one's own group, demonization of opponents, and rampant misinformation, at the end of the day: people voted. And when enough people vote, reason prevails and moderation comes to the rescue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...