Ready Player Two

Yeah, I agree on all counts. It was fun, and I am glad that the audiobook is narrated by Wil Wheaton. He elevated the original. Which is funny, because I’m not a Wheaton fanboy, except for Stand By Me.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a movie sequel coming, but I am glad we’re getting a book. The book, while flawed, was better than the movie. I get why things needed to be changed, both for brevity and for licensing, but it just didn’t really hit the right notes for me. And I wasn’t expecting a real solid adaptation of the book, but it didn’t stand up well in its own

On 10/27/2020 at 7:50 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

Same. I enjoyed the book despite its issues, and the movie too. Hoping he adds some more 90s to the 80s nostalgia.

EDIT: lol just put it on hold at the library and already number 51

I’m 251. 

• 4 weeks later...

I got the audiobook and Kindle book. So far, not nearly as many pop culture references. Or, maybe it’s better to say not as many annoying explanations of pop culture references. And the references that do exist aren’t strictly 80s. More 90s and 2000s.  So far, it’s way better than Armada, and Wade has definitely grown up a lot since Ready Player One, and at least has some understanding of how horrible he is.

I finished it. I did the Kindle/Audible combo, but mostly listened. Wheaton elevated the original, and he did a great job with this one too.

Spoiler free:

I almost gave up about 1/3 through the book, but I’m glad I stayed through. There were some other parts where it verged on being too cheesy, but I would say that the first book was nostalgia wrapped in science fiction, this one is more science fiction wrapped in nostalgia. It’s not all an excuse for Wade to brag about how well he knows 80s media.

I enjoyed it. It might be better than RP1, but I’m not sure. I’m interested to discuss once people have had the chance to finish it.

Okay. Just finished. It's rare for me to pickup a book and finish it in a day or two. I usually read it in chunks here and there, sometimes with weeks in between. Not this though. I really enjoyed this one.

*** Spoilers start here ***

I love the subject matter here. There have been a few other things that I have consumed lately that have dealt with immortality, and each one has been slightly different in its focus.

I enjoyed adding this to that list, because it focused alot more on the technical evolution of how we might reach a state of freeing ourselves from the shackles of our body, and focuses less on the ethics of it.

There is definitely a place for those facets of the topic too, but you can tell the author wanted to bypass that as much as possible and just focus on the characters in this installment.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished reading this last night - good sequel.  I agree with Fozzie that it took too long to get going, but once it did, it was more enjoyable.   The quest element was rushed (a natural cause of the main plot), I would have liked a bit more time on those problem solving elements if poss.  

But a very optimistic ending and came away from it happy.  Can't see this being a movie without significant changes, but does it need to be released?

6 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Oh hey yeah I read this. Didn't really like it much.

Ditto. It was ok. Had some fun parts. But overall, it lacked the originality of the first one which, aside from nostalgia, was really what made it worthwhile. 

I listened to the audio read by Wheaton. I don't know if it was the narration or writing but all the main characters sound exactly the same. 

7 hours ago, Cerina said:

Ditto. It was ok. Had some fun parts. But overall, it lacked the originality of the first one which, aside from nostalgia, was really what made it worthwhile. 

I listened to the audio read by Wheaton. I don't know if it was the narration or writing but all the main characters sound exactly the same. 

It’s definitely the writing. Cline forgot how the characters talk between books.

14 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Oh hey yeah I read this. Didn't really like it much.

I don’t think it’s going to be a re-read ever, unless some day I want to see if it’s better than I originally thought. At the same time, it exceeded expectations so I was pleasantly surprised. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.