Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Iceheart

I find Borat to be annoying more than funny, so I'll probably never watch it unless I just skip to that scene. I've heard conflicting opinions from people on both sides of the political aisle, so it doesn't seem to be a super partisan issue: was he tucking in his shirt or was he grabbing Tiny Rudy?

You’ll be dismayed to learn that there’s two of them now, then. Borat is joined by his daughter Tutar, who has her own schtick. 

Tucking in his shirt, that being said the actress who played Tutar said that she was really creeped out by what was going on and was glad it was just a scene and she knew Borat would jump out before anything could go truly south. If she was creeped out in person, something was happening there.

Yeah. On the other hand, she was trapped in a room with a guy who died 20 years ago, so that’s creepy. I didn’t really buy it until I heard it from a couple of people who hate Rudy. So that’s why I asked.

Rudy is a bit inappropriate but I mean she is touching his knee and thigh the whole interview and then she asks him into the bedroom for a drink. The fact she says that she was creeped out doesnt mean much. That scene is being used to hype the movie, shes not gonna say "oh no it was totally fine."

Overall its a funny movie, well worth the time. It's nowhere near what the first movie was though.  I thought alot of the best scenes were just the scenes between Borat and his daughter rather than where they were trying to "get people." The actress who played his daughter is hilarious. 

It has its moments. There are some really funny scenes, but overall not as funny as the first. Because I had heard of so many instances of Cohen being caught trying to dupe people the last couple of years, I was curious if some scenes were staged. There are quite a few that are obvious. 

As for the Rudy scene, I was curious as to what she was doing. Apparently she's trying remove his mic. As awkward as it looks the scene itself isn't as salacious as you would think. 

Going Usual Suspects was odd, but I think they probably didn't have as much material as they probably wanted.

Going back to the same character and trying to trick people was an interesting choice. But mostly he's a one-trick pony who just wants to trick people and make you laugh at how stupid they are.

I don't know if hearing that it's not as funny means I would like it more, since I didn't find the first funny at all, or if I'd like it even less.

I was reticent to watch it. With the original it felt like we, as society, were enjoying people with bad ideals who've been rightfully de-platformed, be tricked into revealing themselves via funny situations. Not unlike how the Daily Show started, along with Cohen doing an absurd character.

This time, the people he's going after are not marginalized weirdos-- they are what turns out to be at least half of our society. I was worried it would just depress me. I intentionally split my attention with housework while it was on to not get too worked up.

All that said-- the girl who plays the daughter is amazing. To be an obscure Bulgarian actress and then asked to keep up with Cohen's schtick and methodology, and to do it as well as him was great to see. I hope her career blows up from this.

Also, why was it so dark? Lighting wise I mean.

What is different about this movie, with a few notable exceptions, is that alot of the people they "get" come across pretty well. You have that counseler who is under the impression Borat got his daughter pregnant behind a dumpster and he really just kinda moves past that and tries to help. You have the babysitter who is great to the girl. The women at the conservative womens meeting who seem pretty acceptin of the girls story. 

There are some exceptions to this obviously. At that rally someone gives a Nazi salute, but overall I didn't get as bad sense of him just making American's look awful as I had in the first movie.

Really alot of the funniest scenes weren't even scenes like, they were the scenes just between Borat and Tuter. 

I really didn’t think the counselor made the right choice if he was trying to help. Hearing that a teenage girl was raped and impregnated by her father and just pushing past that seemed VERY callous on his part. I mean, as far as he knows a girl is sitting there with her rapist, and instead of being like “you need WAY more services than I can offer beginning with CPS,” he just continues on with his pro-life thing. That was shocking to me.

I think with the girls age its hard to know whats going on. We know that in story she is supposedly 15. We don't know if everyone they come across is told she is supposedly 15. She doesn't look 15 and the actress is in fact 24. Obviously a father impregnating his daughter at any age is beyond terrible but we have no way to know if that guy thinks Tuter is 15. He can't call CPS if he thinks the girl is 24 years old. 

I took the scene more like the counseler was thinking "ok this is awful but I can't change what's happened so how can I help them best I know how going forward."

It's similar with the plastic surgeon who said he'd have "sexy time" with her. Watching the movie we know Tuter is supposed to be 15 so watching the movie it seems like some old guy is saying he'd have sex with a 15 year old. But we have no way to know if that doctor knows the characters age. He may be under the impression she is the actresses age (24).  Him saying hed have sex with her is still a bit creepy but nowhere near as creepy and wrong as if he knew she was supposed to be 15. Plus Tuter flat out asks the doctor if he would.

You have to fill out intake paperwork to get into both of those scenarios. Also, there’s no way her dad would be in the room with her at a doctor’s office unless she was a minor. I can’t prove anything, but considering the circumstances and that this was supposed to be 15 year old Tutar Sagdiev and not the actress playing her, and also considering Cohen’s penchant for “gotcha” pranks, I’m 99% sure both men were told she was 15.

And we haven’t even talked about the dad at the debutante ball who valued a fellow father’s daughter at $500 for a bride price. He definitely thought she was a teenager, he was introduced to her as a debutante.

I think the opposite actually. I think he cleverly sets up that the audience knows she is 15 but then didn't tell all the people appearing in the movie. I mean at the end there is no chance Rudy thought she was 15, she is a professional journalist in that scene. But then Borat runs in yelling that she is 15. So if Rudy doesn't know she is supposedly 15 then I see no reason to think other characters were made aware of it. 

And yeah I know they'd have to fill out paperwork to get into some of those scenerios but that doesn't mean they filled out the paperwork saying the girl is 15. And her father could be in that counseling session no matter her age if she simply said she wanted him there and felt more comfortable. 

Without seeing it, how did they manage to secretly record medical professionals in their offices without first letting them know what was going on? Seems like this was staged.

They didn't really get into what the "excuse" really was this time for having cameras everywhere. In the first movie it was that he was a Kazakh journalist making a docmentary. I mean it probably wouldn't be that difficult though considering how many reality type shows there are spread across cable. 

A small thing about Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2020) that kind of blows my mind. Almost always when it is Borat speaking his native tongue Sacha Baron Cohen is saying something in slow but fluent modern Hebrew that's usually roughly approximate to what gets subtitled into English. I assume that Maria Bakalova's fake Kazakhastani is actually Bulgarian or a language spoken in Bulgaria (Turkish???). I don't think either of them understands the other's language, like, I don't think this Bulgarian woman can speak Hebrew and I don't think Sacha Baron Cohen can understand Bulgarian. But they often act together in a way that involves the carrying out of whole conversations. Sometimes with other people around too.

I assume the obvious answer to this mystery is nothing more than preparation and post-production. They plan what they're going to do in advance, try it out, and stitch it together into something usable after the fact. Duh-drr! It's like everything else in the movie. But there are still parts of this movie that are emotional, and affecting, and intended to be taken as quasi-serious amidst all the farce. And those parts are basically two actors hearing what sounds like gibberish to them and saying what sounds like gibberish to the other person and yet each is managing to act in the scene nonetheless.

Also, the bit where they're in the beauty salon and Maria Bakalova reaches over and eats the lipstick followed by Sacha Baron Cohen eating the lipstick too was so immediately funny and so immediately gross that it made me actually physically retch. I coughed just writing that sentence, from the memory of it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.