Best network line-up of the 90's

Darth Ender

I just found the wikipedia has the line-ups of all all the major networks.  Just wondering network's night was your jam....like you don't even think about changing the channel all night. 

For me, the best night ever (and the hardest hits for my nostalgia) for TV was Fox Sunday nights in the mid-late 90s...Married with Children, Simpsons, King of the Hill, and X-Files.  Late 90s lost Married, but you also got Futurama and, although both WAY overrated, That 70s Show and Family Guy weren't too bad. 

Second place would be 92-93 ABC Wednesday...Wonder Years, Doogie Howser, Home Improvement, and Coach.

Everything else is kinda distant as it may be a few shows that were pretty good or one incredible show...but the rest of the night kinda sucked. 

Note...this was when you watched it.  For example, Seinfeld is my favorite show from the 90s, but I didn't watch it until I was an adult so it doesn't really count. 

5 minutes ago, Iceheart said:

You both already covered the best three, so...

That only covers the evening hours... was it Fox that did the Sunday afternoon Xena, Hercules, Beastmaster, etc lineup? That one was pretty epic.

Also, ABC's TGIF ruled the late 80's-early 90's.

Those shows were syndicated, so they may have been on your local Fox affiliate, but didn’t air everywhere on Fox.

50 minutes ago, Iceheart said:

You both already covered the best three, so...

That only covers the evening hours... was it Fox that did the Sunday afternoon Xena, Hercules, Beastmaster, etc lineup? That one was pretty epic.

Also, ABC's TGIF ruled the late 80's-early 90's.

I remember that being like WB or UPN.   I think Hercules was a spin-off. 

I liked some TGIF: Full House, Perfect Strangers, and later Step-by-Step.  But I HATED Family Matters and Dinosaurs and they were always trying to force something else in there that sucked. 

You pretty much nailed the 90s. You can quibble with exactly which iterations to go with with NBC Thursday and Fox Sunday were the best.

If we want to expand it past the 90s I'd have to say the 2 best nightly lineups ever were

1980s NBC Thursday:

8:00-The Cosby Show, 8:30-Family Ties, 9:00-Cheers, 9:30-Night Court, 10:00-Hill Street Blues

Then the best ever would be 1970s CBS Saturday:

8:00-All In The Family, 8:30-MASH, 9:00-The Mary Tyler Moore Show, 9:30-The Bob Newhart Show, 10:00-The Carol Burnett Show

That was the lineup for 1973-74. After that MASH was replaced by The Jeffersons, which isn't exactly falling off in quality. 

Then 1978-79 ABC Tuesday Night:

8:00-Happy Days, 8:30-Laverne and Shirley, 9:00-Three's Company, 9:30-Taxi, 10:00-Starskey and Hutch

I never liked Saved by the Bell....I thought Head of the Class was far superior. 

I am an only child to a single mom that worked late most nights (retail) so I got to watch whatever.  After school for me was The Grind (schwing)/ Real World/ Beavis and Butthead then over to comedy Central for Almost Live (early Bill Nye sketch comedy), Kids in the the Hall, A List and MST3K. 

I looked back to 1947-47 television line-up...a lot of boxing. 

I didn't get to watch a lot of prime time TV in the 1990s because I was younger and/or working weird hours.  So I caught what I could in prime time, but not the whole evening (EG Seinfeld, Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill, Xfiles, Married with Children). What I remember about the 1990s is it was the high water mark for Star Trek.  You had at least 2 Star Trek shows going on between 1993-2000, and a movie every other year.  I also remember seeing Babylon 5 in first run. 

I HATED Hercules the Legendary Journeys.  Fun Fact: I went to high school with the (then) young woman in the pilot episode who played the half woman half snake, who is seen in the opening of the show thereafter (Nikki Tarr is the name). Watched Xena, mostly for the eye candy, and YES Xena and Gabrielle got it on (when the writers found out shippers and the LGBT community were fans and WONDERING if they were, the writers intentionally wrote it in away where if you thought they were getting it on, they were).

I caught a lot of late night stuff because of working 2nd shift.  I remember Highlander, Forever Knight, The Outer Limits reboot, Total Recall 2070, Stargate SG1 before I got cable (it was usually a season or 2 behind Sci Fi channel).  Those were B-TV shows or cult show, but I loved all of that. 

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

I didn't get to watch a lot of prime time TV in the 1990s because I was younger and/or working weird hours.  So I caught what I could in prime time, but not the whole evening (EG Seinfeld, Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill, Xfiles, Married with Children). What I remember about the 1990s is it was the high water mark for Star Trek.  You had at least 2 Star Trek shows going on between 1993-2000, and a movie every other year.  I also remember seeing Babylon 5 in first run. 

I HATED Hercules the Legendary Journeys.  Fun Fact: I went to high school with the (then) young woman in the pilot episode who played the half woman half snake, who is seen in the opening of the show thereafter (Nikki Tarr is the name). Watched Xena, mostly for the eye candy, and YES Xena and Gabrielle got it on (when the writers found out shippers and the LGBT community were fans and WONDERING if they were, the writers intentionally wrote it in away where if you thought they were getting it on, they were).

I caught a lot of late night stuff because of working 2nd shift.  I remember Highlander, Forever Knight, The Outer Limits reboot, Total Recall 2070, Stargate SG1 before I got cable (it was usually a season or 2 behind Sci Fi channel).  Those were B-TV shows or cult show, but I loved all of that. 

Yeah...props to Lucy Lawless for also appearing in two of my top 10 shows of all time....Battlestar Gallatica and Parks and Rec.

OMG...Highlander the tv show was actually better than the movies (sans the first one).  I was a huge TNG fan and loved the originals movies, but never really got into the other shows. 

I agree with you, Ender.  Except for the first film, and maybe Endgame (??? it was better than the other films except H1  at least), all the other Highlander films were complete garbage and unwatchable.  Contrasted with the TV series, Season 1 was OK, but a bit uneven, but Highlander seasons 2-4 were really good. Season 5 started to decline in quality, and 6 it is best not to remember.  Highlander: the Raven was lame, though.

Also, I gotta give a shout out to Forever Knight.  It definitely was cheesy, and borrowed heavily from the Vampire Chronicles, but, it gets cool points for being based in Toronto, and having the main character, a vampire detective who works for the Toronto PD, that drives around town in a big old fucking 1961 Cadillac, with a trunk big enough to hang out in during the day!

17 hours ago, Zathras said:

Probably would have gone over even better in Ender's neck of the woods!

16 minutes ago, Iceheart said:

Oof.

I actually live in Littleton and drive past Columbine every so often.  There is definitely a thing here in Denver...like there are crazy's that feel that coming to Denver and visiting Columbine is like a pilgrimage of sorts. 

Maybe it was because I was in collge, but I remember the whole trenchcoat thing peaking in the mid-90s.  By 99 it was kinda dying out.  That being said, when I get older I want like an old west trenchcoat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.