Jacen Presents Nightly's Movie of the Week, Week 5: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Jacen123

You know, never mind. I don't like my second choice and can't think of another. Just take me out of the line up and choose another person. You all won't like what I choose and it'll just anger Seth.

I've always wanted to discuss Dogville with people who know films. Its set is minimalistic and there's  bit of a mystery to the plot. I got sucked into it hard and 15 minutes in, it might as well have been The Ten Commandments for all the feels. It also, to me, showed the acting in way no other film has. I was curious if others would feel the same or if it's just a gimmick gone bad. I have a copy of a film supposedly made by a film student ages ago called Superstar. It's the story of Karen Carpenter acted out with Barbie dolls. This was done before the world knew she was anorexic. Dogville reminds me of that; a few minutes in I forgot I was watching dolls and felt so sad for Karen. But my copy is on VHS so I doubt it can be found easily anywhere.

Outside of those, I have no wish to make others watch films so maybe I shouldn't have been part of this to begin with.

1 hour ago, monkeygirl said:

You know, never mind. I don't like my second choice and can't think of another. Just take me out of the line up and choose another person. You all won't like what I choose and it'll just anger Seth.

I've always wanted to discuss Dogville with people who know films. Its set is minimalistic and there's  bit of a mystery to the plot. I got sucked into it hard and 15 minutes in, it might as well have been The Ten Commandments for all the feels. It also, to me, showed the acting in way no other film has. I was curious if others would feel the same or if it's just a gimmick gone bad. I have a copy of a film supposedly made by a film student ages ago called Superstar. It's the story of Karen Carpenter acted out with Barbie dolls. This was done before the world knew she was anorexic. Dogville reminds me of that; a few minutes in I forgot I was watching dolls and felt so sad for Karen. But my copy is on VHS so I doubt it can be found easily anywhere.

Outside of those, I have no wish to make others watch films so maybe I shouldn't have been part of this to begin with.

Why am I the bad guy?

Also, Dogville pisses me off sooooooo much. Lars Von Trier is a great technician, ,but he's a bully of a director and possible cinema's biggest edgelord.

I mean, I kinda hate theater, so it makes sense Dogville would annoy me. I kinda appreciate what he was trying to do with it, but at the end of the day it rubbed me the wrong way.

THERE TAMI, HAPPY!?

THAT said.. I freaking LOVE Superstar. It's on youtube currently-- but we'd have to jump on it because Karen Carpenter's estate regularly has it pulled down.

You're not the bad guy at ALL! This is what you DO so I'm being sensitive to you GAWD. I just think my taste in films is out there and the few I love and would suggest aren't readily available. You want to do City of Lost Children? Let's do it!

See, and I appreciate your take on Dogville. It actually makes me feel better we're not all going to watch it-I was unsure but you've confirmed for me it's a gimmick that didn't work well for him. What's an edgelord, please?

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.