Jacen Presents Nightly's Movie of the Week, Week 5: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Jacen123

I wanted to take a break from Halloween fare.  I've only seen Scott Pilgrim one time, back when it first came out on DVD and have been wanting to see it again.  This seems like a good excuse to go back and watch it.  It is on Netflix, but I don't think it is on Amazon.  I don't know about other services.

I adore this movie. I love everything Edgar Wright does ( save for Baby Driver). This is one case where I think the adaption is better than the source material-- I never got the love for the comic book. I never thought it was that great. It works so much better as a movie. It's also cool to see how pretty much everyone in the cast blew up in a major way.

It makes me laugh every time. Sometimes I watch just the opening scene/credits as a mood piece. It's a bummer this movie didn't do better at the B.O. because I think it's genius on multiple levels.

8 hours ago, Jacen123 said:

I wanted to take a break from Halloween fare.  I've only seen Scott Pilgrim one time, back when it first came out on DVD and have been wanting to see it again.  This seems like a good excuse to go back and watch it.  It is on Netflix, but I don't think it is on Amazon.  I don't know about other services.

Same for me.  I rented it when it first came out.  I didn't appreciate it for what it is back  then. Just finished watching it tonight and it's pretty damn good.  Man, I love Edgar Wright. 

Saw it again.

I like all of Edgar Wright's stuff, been a huge fan since Spaced (1999-2001), I feel like The World's End (2013) is the best of the Cornetto trilogy and may actually be his best movie period, good to see A New Leaf (1971) and Deep Cover (1992) and Frailty (2001) make the top 1000 list, but just about every encyclopaedic-level cineaste kind of hates his breathing guts. I'm not a mindreader but I think they find him cutesy, glib, a sort of chameleon who has no substantial aesthetic and just assembles his screenplays with smarmy incessantly repeated half-jokes. (They also might be just be jealous of a guy who so clearly shares their preoccupations and mindset nonetheless being fairly successful at producing work suspiciously close to what they'd be able to manage yet feeling no need whatsoever to ever be serious about it in any way, shape, or form. They'd all like to make a zombie movie! They'd all like to make an action flick! They've all read some piece of creative work they'd love to adapt! My point is he gets to do it and yet he's clearly no cooler than they are. He's a complete drip! They can't look up to him because he's just a huge nerd and they can't look down on him because, again, they're just huge nerds.) I'm looking forward to Last Night In Soho (2021) although that'll probably be the first one in a while of his movies I don't catch in theatre. But. that's. due. to. unavoidable. circumstances!

- I literally laughed out loud @ "Wallace! Amazon.ca! What's the website for that?" Just a perfect joke. I think the first time I can recall hearing it was in The Little Rascals (1994) with "What's the number for 9-1-1?".

- Ramona's line of "You're just another evil ex waiting to happen" is a good'n. It's been a while since I read the volumes of the book that came out subsequent to the movie but I think that's something Scott gets offered, a future of grinding resentment where he joins the League of Evil Exes and gets to haunt Ramona forever rather than moving on like a grown-up. I think there's also something about how Gideon keeps the rest of his exes in crystal stasis diamonds ... ??? ... Great, now I've realized I don't remember how Scott Pilgrim ends. Great.

- If this movie had taken place in January 2020 I don't think the level of hostility and condescension shown to Scott by his bandmates, roommate, friends, and relative over dating a 17-year old girl would have existed. I think they'd have thrown him out of the band, out of his apartment, and out of their lives. I don't think he'd be believed that the two weren't really intimate at all, I don't think that'd actually even matter to them one way or the other, I think they'd call it grooming and he'd be chucked so fast. And if a vaccine ever pops out of the ground and life returns to grudging normalcy then I'm gonna guess this movie'll feel like Manhattan (1979) but if things go on too long as they are now then I'm betting things head the other way and it'll be inexplicable to audiences in the semi-plausible future why they're all so mad at poor Scott and Knives in young chaste love and the alternate ending from the Special Features will probably be semi-canonized to boot.

- oh, and R.I.P. Honest Ed's

We just finally got time to watch it tonight.  Scott is so infuriating at times, but that’s of course such a big part of him and the movie’s point.  The style of the movie is so fun. It is amazing seeing such a great cast in it, too.  My wife really enjoyed it, too, even without knowing many of the various references throughout.

I’m glad to hear that many of you enjoyed it too!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.