dumb questions

Darth Krawlie

• 2 weeks later...

Was Palpatine originally supposed to be an alien?  Before the PT, I just assumed he wasn't human.  His weird forehead I think is what threw me.  It wouldn't quite make sense considering that the rest of the empire appeared to consist of humans, but if Palp was always intended to be human, why did Lucas go out of his way to make him NOT look human in ROTJ?  Was Palp's disfigurement already an established thing despite not being mentioned in the movies?

I think he was supposed to be an alien in the OT. Especially given when at the did in the original version of ESB. That was meant to be a monster, and the ROTJ male was a practical make up job on an actor as the composite effect version wasn’t going to work.

Didn't know where else to put this but has anyone else noticed that Disney+ put the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare back before the PT and OT movies? Pretty cool. I kinda wish theyd add it to the newer movies eventhough it wasn;t there originally. That fanfare is so associated with Star Wars.

19 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Same. I thought he was a fucked up old man. And never saw the point of him BECOMING fucked up in ROTS. No reason for him to have looked that way 20-30 years before ROTJ

I agree. A year before AOTC was released, the Star Wars Insider April 2001 issue featured Palpatine on the cover. In that pic he looked substantially aged from TPM, and it looked a little "unnatural" to use his words. So I thought that's where we were going with his character. His body was slowly transforming over the years which would eventually lead to what he looked like in ROTJ.

But when the film came out, he didn't even look like that. He still looked like Ian McDiarmid all the way through ROTS. The magazine people must've just been playing around with his look to get people's attention (the precursor to click bait). As you said Krawlie, I would've preferred the slow change over him being rapidly deformed during his fight with Mace Windu. But then that would've also brought up the question of, if the dark side was deteriorating him like that, why did the Jedi not see it?

Palpatine cover.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tank said:

I want to come back and re-ask my biggest OT question.

What was Luke’s exact plan going into Jaba’s palace?

To get captured! This is why he set up Lando and the droids beforehand, so they would be onsite already to join in the fighting. Leia wasn't in on this, Luke just wanted to see her in a bikini.

4 hours ago, CoLA said:

To get captured! This is why he set up Lando and the droids beforehand, so they would be onsite already to join in the fighting. Leia wasn't in on this, Luke just wanted to see her in a bikini.

That's what I have always assumed, but it doesn't quite hold up. Let's look at the for sure parameters:

1. Lando goes in undercover.

2. The droids are sent in undercover. 3P0 is not in on the plan, R2 is. R2 smuggles in a lightsaber.

3. Leia goes in undercover, and offers Chewie up as a prisoner.

So with Lando going in-- this makes sense. He's scouting things out, being a man on the inside. This checks out fine. Next, the droids. 3p0 is an idiot, so it makes sense not to clue him in. R2, as we see, is there to get Luke a weapon if he needs it... but here's the first little problem.

Why does Luke need to smuggle in the lightsaber? Everybody is armed at Jabba's. Leia comes in with a blaster and a thermal detonator. Fett is walking around fully armored, ready to fight. Luke is never searched going in, in fact, he rolls in and starts force choking out guards and mind tricking fools. He comes in so aggro, it turns into a fight really quick. 

It seems like at this stage the plan is, Luke is going to show up and ask nicely for Han back because that's the Jedi way... but he's pretty sure Jabba is going to tell him to suck it, so he wants to be ready for a fight with everyone in place.

This alone, which I think is the intended implication, makes sense. But it veers off fast from here.

The problems are-- one, he didn't need to smuggle the lightsaber in. Two, if he wanted to negotiate, why come in fucking up Jabba's staff and forcing a fight? And three, rewinding a bit, here's the things that make NO sense as part of the plan, but seemed inevitable.

4. Chewie is thrown into a cell.

5. R2 is specifically assigned drinks duty on the sail barge.

6. Leia frees Han and gets them both captured.

So if Chewie is incarcerated, how can he help if things turn into a fight? How do they know Jabba won't execute him on the spot? 

The R2 situation is a can of worms. Did they know ahead of time Jabba needed a waiter for the Sail Barge? Cause it sure was handy he was there to deliver a lightsaber.

Leia freeing Han is the biggest confusion of all. When she unthaws him, she says "let's get the eff out of here" (paraphrasing). So if THIS was part of the plan, and they are ready to escape now in the middle of the night-- what about Chewie in his cell? Where's Lando? For that matter, this is BEFORE Luke shows up, so what's his role at this moment?

The way Luke so confidently says "I'm taking care of everything" to Han on the way to the desert carnivore butthole implies everything is going according to plan.

That is insane. That means Luke's plan was this--

Get Lando in place. Get Chewie captured, not killed, and thrown into a cell specifically so he can fill Han in on the plan after Leia frees him and they intentionally get caught-- again, knowing Jabba won't kill them on the spot. Get R2 a job on the Sail Barge to get Luke his lightsaber at the exact moment he needs it, which, will happen after Luke is already fed to one pet monster and kills it, ensuring Jabba will be so mad he'll THEN decide they all have to die via desert carnivore butthole. He even knows that the skiffs have magnet cranes to rescue the droids after they jump overboard.

If Luke was so strong in the force he could see into a future THAT detailed, he'd have never gone to Endor in the first place.

Hahaha-- I mean, it wouldn't nightly without ruining the Star Wars we all love. But yeah, I agree with you. ROTJ is the one I recall best from childhood. I very clearly remember going to the theater to see it. My memories of the other two are just watching them on VHS over and over.

I think my first cynical SW thoughts came in the early 90s when I started to think about movie writing and structure and realized how much of a shit show ROTJ was.

To me the whole thing comes across like there are two different plans going on. Lando, Leia and Chewie are doing their thing. Luke has his own with the droids. Almost like if one doesn’t work the other may succeed. But even though that’s the feeling I get when I watch it I still think that makes no sense. Why would they not work together to free Han? 

For real. Lando does jackshit, which is dumb. He absolutely got shafted in ROTJ. Even though he gets the credit for destroying the Death Star, he got absolutely no character scenes at all. Sure, the movie was focused (as it should be) on Luke and Vader, but he got sacrificed pretty hard, especially considering how impactful to the story he was in ESB.

honestly all he needed was a reconciliation scene with Han. They did have two scenes together, which were good, but the first was plot development (Lando becoming a general) and the other was about Han and the Falcon. Just a brief moment of Lando apologizing and Han rejecting it because they’re bros,  in some form or another, would’ve been enough. There was a deleted scene about this, right? Sounds familiar as I type it out

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.