dumb questions

Darth Krawlie

On 9/29/2021 at 5:35 PM, Lord Darth Hunter said:

When did Yoda know Anakin had turned to the dark side? When he and Obi Wan are in the temple after Order 66, Yoda seems to already know.

Didn’t they see footage of Anakin doing evil stuff in the archives? Or was that a cut scene? 

I'm probably overthinking this but here goes. Yes Yoda and Obi Wan saw the video. But before that when they examine the dead, Yoda points out to Obi Wan that some of the dead have lightsaber wounds. Was he just confirming that the clones didn't act alone and were led by some force user, possibly the Sith Lord they had been looking for all along, or was he trying to hint to Obi Wan that one of their own had betrayed the Jedi? Then when Obi Wan wants to watch the footage, Yoda warns him it'll be painful. Again, was he saying it's not a good idea to watch because he'll see his Jedi brethren being slaughtered, or because he knows it'll show one of their own doing it? 

I think that it’s a stretch to go from those statements knowing it was Anakin. It’s possible that Yoda knew. It’s possible this was a possible future that Yoda had seen, or that he sensed Anakin going evil (but didn’t seem Dooku going evil?) but I think the simplest explanation is that Yoda was just pointing out that someone with a lightsaber was involved and that watching video of friends and children being slaughtered is going to be hard. 

I don't think it's a stretch. I think Yoda's comment is direct.  He knows and he makes the comment to OBI-WAN to try to protect him or to prepare him for the shock.

If that wasn't the intention, I don't think Lucas would have written the dialogue that way.  

9 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

I don't think it's a stretch. I think Yoda's comment is direct.  He knows and he makes the comment to OBI-WAN to try to protect him or to prepare him for the shock.

If that wasn't the intention, I don't think Lucas would have written the dialogue that way.  

Dude, you're putting logic into the way Lucas writes dialogue? My three year old does better dialogue when playing with her Barbies.

Yoda sucks. I've never really been a big fan of his character. He's the type who always knows everything, doesn't tell anybody anything, and does little, if anything, to actually help. And when he DOES help, he does it kicking and screaming and complaining about it all along the way.

Yes, there are counter examples to all of this. But for the most part, he's just a backwards talking pain in the ass. Obi-Wan was a much better mentor figure and it's not even close.

Just now, Darth Krawlie said:

Yoda sucks. I've never really been a big fan of his character. He's the type who always knows everything, doesn't tell anybody anything, and does little, if anything, to actually help. And when he DOES help, he does it kicking and screaming and complaining about it all along the way.

Yes, there are counter examples to all of this. But for the most part, he's just a backwards talking pain in the ass. Obi-Wan was a much better mentor figure and it's not even close.

Yoda was intentionally being a jerk to Luke, and both Obi-Wan and Yoda were lying to him throughout the OT. 

But, yeah, Yoda after the OT kinda sucks.

29 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

...or that he sensed Anakin going evil (but didn’t seem Dooku going evil?)... 

The way I see this is Dooku went to the dark side but in the shadows. He kept it to himself and those close to him. So the Jedi couldn't be sure until he finally sprung it on them. Anakin on the other hand, just went full blitz Sith, attacking the temple and killing everyone in sight, then going on a rampage in Mustafar without a care in the world of who was watching or feeling it through the Force.  

And Darth Krawlie, you bring up an excellent point. Why is Yoda like that in ESB? In the 20 years he was on Dagobah learning to be immortal from Qui Gon, did he just say, screw it, I'm going to live forever, who cares what happens to these people now anyway. I don't need to train Luke. 

I see it a lot in fiction. "I'm mad at you for not knowing a thing you don't have any way of knowing, and I won't tell you what it is because you're so dumb." The worst part is how the student ends up appreciating and thanking the teacher for it after the fact. I hate that shit. You're making the life of the student and a greater than zero number of other people's lives harder for no reason other than arrogance.

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Dude, you're putting logic into the way Lucas writes dialogue? My three year old does better dialogue when playing with her Barbies.

I'm not talking about the quality, I'm just talking about his style.  

Well.....quality too.  But in the opposite way you joke about.  George's plain and robotic dialogue actually backs up my point.  Lol

9 hours ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

I'm probably overthinking this but here goes. Yes Yoda and Obi Wan saw the video. But before that when they examine the dead, Yoda points out to Obi Wan that some of the dead have lightsaber wounds. Was he just confirming that the clones didn't act alone and were led by some force user, possibly the Sith Lord they had been looking for all along, or was he trying to hint to Obi Wan that one of their own had betrayed the Jedi? Then when Obi Wan wants to watch the footage, Yoda warns him it'll be painful. Again, was he saying it's not a good idea to watch because he'll see his Jedi brethren being slaughtered, or because he knows it'll show one of their own doing it? 

I think Yoda KNEW it was going to be Anakin on the videos killing jedi and younglings. I believe either when it happened Yoda either sensed it, or may have even had some force insight that told him it was Anakin after the fact.  Yoda was almost 900 at that time, so he had developed powers Obi Wan didn't have.  So when Obi Wan was like "let's review the holovids," Yoda was like " you might not like what you see."

The reason Yoda may have sensed Anakin's fall, is you have to remember Anakin was talking to Yoda about his "Friend" with a problem with attachment. Yoda isn't dumb.  I think he saw through Anakin's thin attempt at asking a question anonymously.  Plus, having been trained by Yoda, there was some connection between the two.  There was one scene in AOTC when Anakin was killing Tusken Raiders, with Yoda hearing Qui Gon shouting no Anakin. It makes sense that Yoda could sense the trouble Anakin was getting into because when he faced off with Dooku, he sensed the darkness in him, when they were in person. 

Perhaps because Anakin was the Chosen One (I know, I don't like that concept either, but it is there), and the fact maybe Yoda had a closer bond with Anakin, he was able to sense things about him more easily, and didn't need to be in person to sense Anakin's fall the same way he had to be in person to sense Dooku fell. 

In short, I would also suggest that when you are a chosen one, if you fall to the dark side, it causes ripples in the force that powerful beings like Yoda can sense across space and time.

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

Why did they have a cephalopod creature in the Death Star Trash Compactor, and how did it keep from getting squished? 

I'd always wondered that and figured it got there on accident.  It got on the ship somehow and ended up hiding down in the garbage. 

17 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

I'd always wondered that and figured it got there on accident.  It got on the ship somehow and ended up hiding down in the garbage. 

So, a Stormtrooper kept a baby trash compactor monster as a pet, and when he got tired of it, he flushed it down the toilet, where it ended up in the trash compactor?

On 10/1/2021 at 12:40 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

I see it a lot in fiction. "I'm mad at you for not knowing a thing you don't have any way of knowing, and I won't tell you what it is because you're so dumb." The worst part is how the student ends up appreciating and thanking the teacher for it after the fact. I hate that shit. You're making the life of the student and a greater than zero number of other people's lives harder for no reason other than arrogance.

Gandalf was like that too, much more so in the books than in the movies.  Every time the hobbits asked him anything, he would get all grumpy and acted like it was a big inconvenience to answer them, and often wouldn't.  He even told Bilbo not to ask so many stupid questions if he could help it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever considered that we may be on the wrong side?…What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we’ve been fighting to destroy?”

Where was Padme going with this? Naturally she didn’t really mean she wanted to join up with Nute Gunray. What if Anakin had agreed with her instead of jumping on her case for losing faith in her government?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.