dumb questions

Darth Krawlie

26 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

WELL ACTUALLY THE CARBONITE SYSTEM FES HKM CINSTANTLU TO MAKE SURE HE STAYED ALIVE IT MAKES AENSE JABBA WOULD BE MAD IF HE DIED IF IBLY YOU READ 71 obscure BOOKS ITS OJ WOOOOOKKIEPEDIEa

U don no

I gave Solo a shot and it was guilty of the worst crime for a movie - I was bored. It’s the only Star Wars movie that has ever completely bored me.

25 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I gave Solo a shot and it was guilty of the worst crime for a movie - I was bored. It’s the only Star Wars movie that has ever completely bored me.

Even when Chewie and Han showered together?

For me, the problem with Solo was the fan service. They did need to hit every single beat of his back story in one movie.

Taking all the winks and nods to the lore, made it compete with the story. So he deserts from the Empire, meets Chewie, meets Lando, makes the Kessel run, and wins the Falcon within the span of a few days.

It made it feel like he was literally about to go do his run for Jabba right ahead of ANH even though there was still a decade to go.

I liked the basic heist story, thought there were some really cool moments, I even liked the new characters, but it basically all felt like it was just to establish a character we already knew. I’ve watched it a few times, and enjoy it, but it doesn’t really add anything to the method so it ends up feeling a little pointless.

If they had made the same movie, but made it Lando’s backstory it would have worked better.

I don’t want to ruin this thread by turning it into being all about my opinions. This is a group discussion, not a Solo one. 

Solo was a decent popcorn flick.  I expected worse, and was pleasantly surprised I didn't hate it.   Not perfect by a long shot, and wholly unnecessary, but it did keep my interest for 2 hours, and left me wanting to see a Lando movie follow up.   I think it is better than TROS, TLJ, and TPM, and is basically the third best of the Disney Star Wars movies, after Rogue One and TFA.     

4 hours ago, Tank said:

For me, the problem with Solo was the fan service. They did need to hit every single beat of his back story in one movie.

Taking all the winks and nods to the lore, made it compete with the story. So he deserts from the Empire, meets Chewie, meets Lando, makes the Kessel run, and wins the Falcon within the span of a few days.

It made it feel like he was literally about to go do his run for Jabba right ahead of ANH even though there was still a decade to go.

I liked the basic heist story, thought there were some really cool moments, I even liked the new characters, but it basically all felt like it was just to establish a character we already knew. I’ve watched it a few times, and enjoy it, but it doesn’t really add anything to the method so it ends up feeling a little pointless.

If they had made the same movie, but made it Lando’s backstory it would have worked better.

Yeah, its not perfect. This is probably gonna draw some flack but I'd put it right around the same level as Mandalorian. In fact I'm more much looking forward to the Lando series than any of the Mando adjacent stuff. 

The nice thing about what Disney is doing is that there’s something for everyone. I didn’t love Mando as much as everyone else - I didn’t even watch season 2 until months later, and only when my entire family watched it. Solo seemed like a generic sci-fi movie with a Star Wars skin slapped on it. I enjoyed Rogue One until the last few minutes, and then I hated the Vader stuff. So my opinions are obviously very different than a lot of people here.

I'm not going to disagree with anyone's complaints except for the 'it isn't necessary' goofiness.  None of this is necessary.  Additionally, I have been craving Solo stories since I've been watching SW.  When I discovered the Han Solo trilogy books, which was probably around 1989 in a used book store, I lost my freaking mind.  Bring em on!

13 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

I'm not going to disagree with anyone's complaints except for the 'it isn't necessary' goofiness.  None of this is necessary.  Additionally, I have been craving Solo stories since I've been watching SW.  When I discovered the Han Solo trilogy books, which was probably around 1989 in a used book store, I lost my freaking mind.  Bring em on!

A time traveler from a dark future timeline told me that the prequels were absolutely necessary. Without them, George Lucas would have ended up committing genocide on a level never seen in human history. Thankfully he got to live vicariously through his creation.

My biggest regret in life came last night after watching a goddamn YouTube video of some SW fan page nerd.  It's no wonder so much of fandom is up in arms when they're being fed this random fan opinion served up as fact.   Kill me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.