dumb questions

Darth Krawlie

It is actually not EU: it's all on the same level of canonicity with the films (though there is an obvious disconnect between the people making the films and the people making the other materials. The former does not seem to care about the latter, despite initial claims to the contrary). I know that lack of a term encompassing everything aside from the movies makes conversation frustrating, and I'm perfectly fine with people using made-up terms like "new EU," to your point, it is not EU. The EU, by technical definition, was the old canon, now rebranded "Legends."

What I was referring to specifically was the pilfering of EU stories, events, and characters and altering them into something else to fit into the new canon. They did this not only with the "new EU," but with the movies themselves.

Not arguing with you Zerimar but I think you should try look at it from a different perspective. In a way, the Legends EU has had more respect than it ever had under Disney/new Lucasfilm. They don't pretend it doesn't exist - they still pay homage to it and they have people actively incorporating (and yeah changing, otherwise what's the point) characters and stories into the new canon and movies from Legends because they like it. 

As Goat said, the EU was going to have the slate wiped if Disney bought Lucasfilm or not. At least they're not trying to wipe it from existence or rule anything out.

You don't have to like it - but don't need to be angry about it either is what I'm trying to say I guess. 

39 minutes ago, The Choc said:

"Levels of canonicity". Jesus. Who the hell cares. None of it ever happened. It doesn't matter. 

Dude, you’ve been posting on a Star Wars message board so long your account can almost vote. Don’t pretend like you have any type of high ground when it comes to geekdom. 

I don't think I do. I have my own geekiness or whatever you want to call it. But I still can call out and mock things I find stupid about fandom while realizing there are probably elements of my own fandom which could deservedly be mocked by others. 

But really in the end as it pertains to this instance my point is really who cares. Zerimar likes the old EU, thats totally cool. Go to your shelf and read those books then. Thats awesome. Don't worry about what elements of it are or aren't be incorportated into the new stuff. Who cares how those elements are incorporated. Go with the stories you love, thats basically all Im saying. 

2 hours ago, Dark Wader said:

Not arguing with you Zerimar but I think you should try look at it from a different perspective. In a way, the Legends EU has had more respect than it ever had under Disney/new Lucasfilm. They don't pretend it doesn't exist - they still pay homage to it and they have people actively incorporating (and yeah changing, otherwise what's the point) characters and stories into the new canon and movies from Legends because they like it. 

As Goat said, the EU was going to have the slate wiped if Disney bought Lucasfilm or not. At least they're not trying to wipe it from existence or rule anything out.

You don't have to like it - but don't need to be angry about it either is what I'm trying to say I guess. 

I still don't buy the theory that LucasFilm was going to wipe the slate clean. George Lucas was pretty adamant about his saga ending with Episode VI and there never being any further episodes. He only wrote his story treatments to help sell the franchise.

I hear what you're saying, but I can't get on board with that. I actually want to hurl every time I see a fan on Facebook getting giddy about LucasFilm making his favorite story or character canon again by including it in their canon. To me, this is a weak position, and these fans remind me of fetishists who like to be spit on, stepped on, slapped in the face, and called filthy little whores while begging for more. I just want to say, "You weak, pathetic, emasculated cuck! Stop using the dictates of the company that destroyed your favorite universe to validate the existence of those things you enjoy. Ignore the dictates and decide what is and isn't canon for yourself!"

Now, people can do what they want. I get that. I love my fellow EUers, I don't mind the new canonists, and I don't mind the people who enjoy both canons or want to mix canons. It's the ones I described above who metaphorically crawl on their hands and knees begging LucasFilm to justify their favorite stories and characters by bringing them into the new canon, those are the only ones who really get under my skin. It is for this reason that I view the porting of exclusively old canon characters into the new canon as an insult rather than an olive branch. It feels like they're hearing but not listening.

5 hours ago, Zerimar Nyliram said:

I hear what you're saying, but I can't get on board with that. 

Fair enough. Personally I'd find it easier to just let it go and role with the changes, but that it is me and no one can say you haven't been consistent in this stance for years so respect to you there. 

Only thing I'd clarify is that when I say the slate was going to be wiped no matter what happened, is that if Disney didn't buy it and someone else did, it still would have happened. I also don't think Lucas had the respect for the EU as much as you think he did but again, just my viewpoint. 

On 11/29/2020 at 12:57 AM, Zerimar Nyliram said:

I am unaware of any Star Wars/DC crossover plans, but even if there were, they would have fallen under the "Infinities" category, which was basically just a category that was set outside EU continuity where authors could color outside the lines and have fun. One such example includes the infamous comic short "Skippy the Jedi Droid."

I'm ignoring the dictates and making it canon for myself.  

9 minutes ago, Zathras said:

It used to be.  Now its nothing, except Kryptonite.

When a planet blows up, do they build a memorial that floats in space and follows it's former orbit, one that is "stationary" (i.e. sits in the same place relative to the planet's star/stars wherever the detonation occurred), or do they just not bother and build a memorial on another planet close by?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.