Guys, I could use a signal boost

Cerina

As most of you know, we're like crazy involved in scouts and our homeschooling community. I'm the chartered organization representative (one of the top Key 3 positions) for all 4 of our homeschool association's scouting units. 

This year our Cub Scouts are barely hanging on. During a typical year, we do our 2 council fundraisers (coupon books and popcorn) and pretty much count on the Cubs to sell based on cuteness. It works really well. You take a 6-10 year old and put them in a uniform in front of a grocery store and people practically throw money at them. This year though...BOTH fundraisers were cancelled due to the pandemic AND national raised the fees again, for the 2nd time this year. Our pack, unlike the other 3 units, is 100% homeschooled kids. So we're talking a lot of single-income families. This year, we've had several people say they can't afford to continue with the new fees, but the pack's scholarship fund is non-existent this year because it's funded by the fundraisers. 

Anyway, all this to say, I offered them a Virtual Book Fair fundraiser through my Usborne Books & More business. It's not as much as a typical fundraiser, so I'm also donating all of my commission to them to try to make up for it. But it's not doing that well either. :( 

So could I get a signal boost from you guys? Could you share it to your own social media circles? Or hey, buy some books if you have kids to buy Christmas presents for. 

You can share the FB post from our pack page: 

Or here's the link to the sale: https://h9294.myubam.com/1814158

Lol, no. All of our books are secular except for a few Easter and Christmas stories. The World History Encyclopedia is actually a combined volume of several out-of-print books - Prehistoric Life, The Ancient World, The Medieval World, etc., so they just kept the parts about dinosaurs in there. But it specifically talks about evolution and the earth being millions of years old. Despite the fact that several homeschool curriculum publishers use that exact book, most of them are Christian publishers and every year people complain online because their Christian curriculum sold them a book that includes evolution! The horror!! And every year people have to explain "yes, but those pages aren't assigned, so just skip them" and "not all Christians believe in a young Earth" or "we use this as an opportunity to explain different beliefs". 

And, no. We get the same for all of them. We do actually have a fundraiser that gives the organization a higher percentage of the sales. It's for boxes of greeting cards, but the way they have it set up right now all the boxes have to be shipped to the organization. We needed to be able to market things online and not have to deal with shipping after the fact. They're changing that soon(ish) with some of the website upgrades they've been making this year, but it hasn't happened yet. So a virtual book fair with cash rewards was the best I could do. (We also do book fairs, in-person and virtual, that give organizations 50% back in free books. They're great for schools and preschools and such, but the pack needs money not books.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.