Watching AOTC for family movie night

Wasn’t it the first big name release shot entirely digital? If not the first then certainly one of them. 

That in conjunction with nearly all of it being CGI, not surprised it looks trashy. Even the DVD looked flat when it came out, can only imagine how much worse it is in 4K

Watching it with the kids made me realize that it’s both not nearly as bad as I remembered and way worse.

It really is low quality in a way that’s acceptable for a kids movie, only it isn’t one. It’s at least half an hour too long, the romance works even worse for kids than adults, and it’s needlessly convoluted. BUT, the acting is on par with lesser kids movies, so that doesn’t bother me as much.

• 1 month later...

Its the only Star Wars movie I saw twice in the theater, I made a promise to two friends who couldn't make it in the same viewing so I saw it twice two days apart. The romance subplot is contrived but you got to get Luke and Leia's parents together somehow, so I plowed right through it as something that had to be there. I think Lucas tried the detective mystery genre with this one but if so it failed horrendously. Sure we get the Tyrannus question answered when Dooku and Sidious meet but who and why of Sifo-Dyas are left to Expanded Universe to explain.

But man that last scene with the Imperial March and the warships lifting, awesome.

Yeah at the time, I remember AOTC being billed by Lucas as partly a love story.  But it was also a mystery movie (who put the hit on Padme, who sent the order in for the clone army, who are the Sith, etc).  Then there was the bad comedy.  It really felt like they were trying to do too much in one movie, and didn't know what direction GL wanted to go.  I really wish it was a film that just focused on Anakin, already an established Jedi Knight, already married to Padme but in secret, turning to the dark side (Palpatine corrupting him and poisoning his mind agains the jedi), with the clone wars already in progress.  In short, a more adult and more abbreviated version of what we more or less got out of Anakin's story arc in TCW.

After starting TPM so early in the timeline I don't think that was possible. You probably couldn't start Episode II being like "remember the 9 year old and the 14 year old from the last movie, they are married now." Like alot of people it should have gone like this:

Episode I: Same basic plot outline as TPM but Anakin and Padme are the same age. They fall in love during the movie and the final battle is the first battle of the Clone Wars

Episode II: The 2 are married, Clone Wars rage.  Anakin shows some bad signs, gets corrupted by Palpatine. Clone Wars end but Palpatine has tightened his grip on Republic. Movie ends with reveal Padme is pregnant however she has been estranged from Anakin due to the events of the movie.

Episode III: Some time has passed, twins are born. A sort of last ditch effort to save the Republic and turn Anakin back. Both of which fail.

The PT has some inherent flaws that probably can't be fixed as long as Lucas was basically gonna do all the work himself. But starting TPM so early in the timeline with a part of the story that essentially no one had ever really wanted to see makes the movies feel like they are playing catch up to get to everything they need to. Basically we don't get enough at all of Anakin as the great person whose falling to darkness is so tragic. The plusses of showing Anakin so young in TPM, and Im not saying there are none, just flat out don't outweigh the negatives it has on showing us the rest of the story.

I think that is why I hate TPM the most out of the PT. I wish we had an adult Anakin the whole time.  I like those ideas there.  I think conventional wisdom is that Lucas is a great big picture guy, but when he did the PT, he micromanaged it and didn't have anyone who had any authority to reign his ideas in, because he was the boss. 

Tracks cut and pasted from TPM (not reused themes, not rescored, literally cut and pasted from the previous soundtrack; this also happened in ROTS but to a less egregious degree) and tracks with atrocious cutting and editing, is the gist of it. There's a lot of great original music scored for that film, but too much of it ended up cut because of Lucas' last minute constant editing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 9:52 AM, Darth Ender said:

I always felt the whole PT was the first draft.  Lucas had a definite idea for 3, some idea for 1, and a bunch of stuff happens in 2. 

Just think about Padme's assignation: Palps sends Dooku who sends Jango who sends Zam who sends a droid who sends bugs.  

Whole-heartedly agree with this. It felt to me like the whole thing was built around the Duel of the Fates in TPM, (the results of which killed Anakin's one shot at a true non-Palpatine father figure), and then all the stuff in ROTS that had to happen to tie up loose ends so that the original trilogy still made sense. Everything else seemed very improvised.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.