Neighbors again

monkeygirl

My upstairs and next door neighbors are annoying me again but it's not huge. long-term noise. But it's been going on for a couple months now. I'm womdering how to address them-if at all-if it's even worth it.

Next door, they have small kids-ages 5 to 7-ish and they have friends in the building. They race between apartments, thundering down the stairs and hall which are about 10 feet from my living space and they slam the apartment doors. This happens daily now between 10am and 7pm. This is during the time it's okay to make some noise in my building and I know they're only kids and not doing it on purpose but it's getting nuts. Jesus about killed me last night as he dug his claws into my thighs and launched across the room on a door slam. I've tried to ask these kids nicely to stop but they're kids-they do not GAF.

Upstairs, they have older kids and they keep their trash and recyclables on their deck. The kids are responsible for taking it out and clearly hate doing so. They make as much noise as possible. This goes from 7am to 11pm daily-as many as 26 times a DAY. My studio is about 15 feet from this and my living space is closer.

IF I talk to anyone, is it the neighbors or the building manager? If the neighbors, how do I frame this or do I even have the right to ask them to not be dicks any more?

I have to move. I can't live in dormitory style living any longer

Sadly, kids like that are also the kids who have asshole parents that will look at you sideways, like YOU are the one with the problem, if you dare to ask them to tell their kids to be quiet.   You can try to ask them, but don't be surprised  if you get some 'tude.  Asshole parents produce asshole kids.  

Building managers don't give an eff because it's not their problem, and they don't want to get in the middle of it.  

Sorry, I think you are screwed.

It doesn't sound like the kids are being a-holes, they're just being kids. Kids have no clue how loud they are. I'm constantly telling my kids to be quiet in the house, by which I mean for them to stop yelling and running at full speed. It just doesn't compute that they're doing it. And grumbling older kids are also not aware of their noise being negative, they are just trying to express themselves and don't know how. Heck, most adults don't know how to express their feelings in a healthy way without either going silent or making stupid noises.

I think that the best move is to approach your neighbors in a nice, non-confrontational manner. But, I would also say that if there's anything you can do to help yourself, do it. You're in a building with kids and it's going to be hard for kids to stay quiet. There's a reason why our families used to just shuffle us outside to go play in the neighborhood - they couldn't stand us being home.

For the record, I was being tongue in cheek about the kids. But, I also find that more often than not, whenever you approach parents about their noisy kids, the parents usually are ***holes and will say you are the one with the problem, no matter how polite and reasonable you are. 

It definitely depends on the circumstances. And, no, there are definitely kids who are a-holes. There are plenty of kids I don’t want my kids playing with, and you can tell pretty quickly. And it is tied to parents.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm in a no-win situation here but want to be sure before I do anything. I don't think any of these people are asses-my old upstairs neighbors were but they're gone. I do count my blessings that this is 'normal noise'. I'm not winding myself up over it. It's just SO constant now that everyone is home all day every day. I agree the littler kids don't have a clue-I didn't at that age. Are there devices like they put on drawers that slow the slamming of doors? I'd like to buy them one. This is the worst of it-I jump out of my skin a few times a day because our doors make some noise when they slam. I don't know how and why the parents put up with it. The upstairs stuff is more annoying but doesn't kill me. If I shut all my windows and doors, which I hate doing, it's not too bad and for recording purposes, I just wait a few seconds. Thank gawd I'm not live. I keep waiting for their slider door to get stuck with as many times a day as it gets shoved open and closed.

But that all being reasonably said, I wish they'd all just die. I was so worried about moving in here after having lived in houses all my life. I'm the quietest person here.

cost of living is obscene out here. You have to have bought in when the market was low to afford anything, and then you might be able to upgrade because your dump is worth $750k now.

Tami, have you considered a mobile home? There is one in my neck of the woods that actually looks pretty cute and you could get to 405 or 5 relatively easily. That way you wouldn't have people banging all over the place and you could have a little yard for gardening.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bothell/2200-196th-St-SE-98012/unit-91/home/2875080

• 2 weeks later...

I posted elsewhere about the new people above me. I'm in hell. But it all made sense today.

What I hear:

- music at all hours (they have gotten 6 complaints via the manager this month alone)

- somebody is always home. I hear muffled voices, and constant heavy-footed bro walking all day, even when the guy who is the supposed sole occupant is out (his parking spot is near mine so I know when he's not home)

- somebody is always awake. ANY time of day or night, if you wait 5-10 minutes, you will hear somebody tromping from one room to another. Wake up to pee at 3AM-- you hear it. Literally, 24 hours a day

- both above my office and above my bedroom, multiple times I day you can hear very heavy draws being opened and slammed shut

- Very heavy things are always being dropped to the floor, 2-3 times a day

- women being asked for their phone numbers as the pass by a dude on the balcony above mine

What I have seen:

- several very large dudes smoking outside my bedroom window

- booze bottles left int he parking garage

- groups of 2-5 people who look fresh from a club coming in and out of the building, again, all hours of the day and night.

And today it all suddenly made sense. I had my slider open for air and I hear a woman calling out "Hey! I'm here!" My slider faces the street, but there is landscaping between it and the sidewalk in built up beds, so you can't actually got to my slider from the sidewalk, I am just level with it. I look out just in time to see somebody from above toss an envelope down to her from their balcony, then she gets in her G-Wagon and drives off.

People coming and going at all hours, people awake at all hours, somebody at home, in the place 24/7, envelopes being tossed down. This is obviously a drug dealing operation, right?

And this is a nice building in a nice neighborhood, so this is not just a street hustler. This is likely a higher end deal, which makes me feel very not safe.

Gawd I don't miss apartment living.  I am convinced if there is a Hell, and I am sent there, I will be banished for all eternity to my apartment I lived in for 6 years, when I was going to college. A more hideous fate I cannot imagine. I had all of the above and then some! 

Deffo sounds like either a dealers place or the place of a heavy user who has people over all the time. 

High end dealers are usually smarter than to make it so obvious (like using the same location all the time is epic stupid) so it could just be a low end small time dealer who happens to be of middle-upper class. Like a professional of some sort who has a massive coke habit and deals on the side to help finance the lifestyle. Not on anyone's radar but busy enough to be an annoyance to any immediate neighbours.  

Do they look like gangbangers, hard-men, or just shady normal looking people? 

Worst case scenario would be if they are cooking up there cause noxious fumes and that.. but you'd be able to smell it. 

Either way, sucks to be in your situation unless you were young and looking for a convenient hook up. 

14 hours ago, Tank said:

I posted elsewhere about the new people above me. I'm in hell. But it all made sense today.

What I hear:

- music at all hours (they have gotten 6 complaints via the manager this month alone)

- somebody is always home. I hear muffled voices, and constant heavy-footed bro walking all day, even when the guy who is the supposed sole occupant is out (his parking spot is near mine so I know when he's not home)

- somebody is always awake. ANY time of day or night, if you wait 5-10 minutes, you will hear somebody tromping from one room to another. Wake up to pee at 3AM-- you hear it. Literally, 24 hours a day

- both above my office and above my bedroom, multiple times I day you can hear very heavy draws being opened and slammed shut

- Very heavy things are always being dropped to the floor, 2-3 times a day

- women being asked for their phone numbers as the pass by a dude on the balcony above mine

What I have seen:

- several very large dudes smoking outside my bedroom window

- booze bottles left int he parking garage

- groups of 2-5 people who look fresh from a club coming in and out of the building, again, all hours of the day and night.

And today it all suddenly made sense. I had my slider open for air and I hear a woman calling out "Hey! I'm here!" My slider faces the street, but there is landscaping between it and the sidewalk in built up beds, so you can't actually got to my slider from the sidewalk, I am just level with it. I look out just in time to see somebody from above toss an envelope down to her from their balcony, then she gets in her G-Wagon and drives off.

People coming and going at all hours, people awake at all hours, somebody at home, in the place 24/7, envelopes being tossed down. This is obviously a drug dealing operation, right?

And this is a nice building in a nice neighborhood, so this is not just a street hustler. This is likely a higher end deal, which makes me feel very not safe.

Narc the fuck out of them.  

I hope not-- to be honest, if this is true-- he's not dealing crack or meth. He drives a Bently, and his place rents for $4k a month. Everyone I've seen coming in or out is dressed very upscale. The people I've seen make pick-ups are driving Mercedes and BMWs.  This is not street drugs, this is high end stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.