fuckIn' fuckEr fuckItTy fuck-fuck

Well, since the last update, it seems the decades-old censor is lifted and F-bomb floodgate has been opened (though I remember seeing a few people get around it somehow prior to the update). It looks like the ban on "shit" was lifted a while back as well. I kind of liked that one, though, because every time someone tried to say, "The EU is ****," I'd say in return, "I'm glad you agree it's four stars!"

Anyway, I really wanted to discuss your feelings toward profanity in general. Now, despite my squeaky clean image to those who know me from church and other similar circles, I think those people would be scandalized to discover just how potty-mouthed I am. That being the case, I still recoil sometimes when I hear profanity where it just doesn't belong. With TV becoming more liberal, it really doesn't bother me in most situations, depending upon what's on; but the F-bomb does not belong in Star Trek, which makes it so jarring and out of place when I hear it on a show like Picard.

The same applies with music: it depends on the vibe of the song. Do you remember that song "You're Beautiful" by one-hit wonder James Blunt in the mid-2000s? Well, when I downloaded it on Limewire (in the days before YouTube), I was shocked to learn that the one lyric heard on the radio, "She could see from my face that I was flying high" was actually "She could see from my face that I was fucking high." I'm not a prude, but it just doesn't belong in such an otherwise innocent song! When the profanity is there for sheer shock value rather than following the vibe of that song, it just seems completely out of place. To a lesser extend, even in that song "Bodies" by Tov-Lo, "We fuck for life" seems just a bit too deliberate versus the edited version, "We love for life," which I feel flows much better with the general feel of the song.

You feel me?

[Edit] Hey, why are capital letters edited out of thread titles now? I don't like that. It upsets the grammarian in me.

It’s funny that I’m the one that messed with the censor, since my language is mostly squeaky clean. A few months ago we were having issues with our refrigerator water filter and water just started pouring out. My wife heard me say shit and immediately came running because she knew things were horrible. If I drop an f-bomb, it’s pretty much the end of the world. Only I would probably shout “YES!” if the world was ending.

And that word change really changes the meaning of the song. Flying high can just mean happy, effing high is drugs.

I mean, I come from New Zealand where swearing is super casual. It's not good, but I drop f bombs all over the shop. And in New Zealand and Australia "cunt" can be used as a term of endearment. Like, I could say "..Paul? Yeah he's a good cunt" and that would be considered high praise of Paul. Then you can also insult someone and complement them at the same time by saying "mate, you're a cunt but you're a good cunt". Which basically translates to "you can be a bit of an arsehole sometimes but you're a really good person, I think the world of you". 

When I am in a casual setting like with friends,  I'll swear sometimes, but not every word.  I like to say fuck shit or damn.  Sometimes that comes out when I'm angry, or hurt myself like dropping something on my foot, or whatever.  I generally don't swear around elders, like my dad or  people significantly older than me, that I respect (in fact I respect elders in general).  I absolutely do not swear at work or any professional, educational, or formal setting.  When I write stuff here, and a swear word (****-ed out or not), it's either to express enthusiasm or something I'm passionate about, or occasionally in jest.

However, I think there are people, usually Gen Z, that swear way to much just for shock value, or they don't know any better.  When one swears excessively, especially in environments where it is not appropriate (EG around kids, formal or professional settings), one comes off as less intelligent.  For example, I sometimes see this in public where some young adult, or group of young adults, swear like sailors at a restaurant or wear the stupid tee shirts we all have seen with vulgarity printed on them, where there are young kids or people that are just older and more mature than them who don't want to hear that garbage.  Especially when it is clearly a case where said young adults are basically "Oh, look at me! I'm so grown up because I say fuck, and I don't care who hears it!"

Oh man, there is nothing worse than someone with profanity on a t-shirt. 

And yeah, I don't swear around kids or elders or people that I would think would actually be offended those kinds of words. Generally if I swear it's because I assume people aren't offended by those words. 

Yeah, I mean I am by no means a prude or anything.  I was in the military so I've heard, maybe even said it all. But you have to know when and where it's safe to let loose.  Profanity for profanity's sake is just lame. 

I mean it's one thing to let something slip, or maybe you had one too many to drink, but I do my level best not to swear around kids and elder people, just out of respect for those around me.

6 hours ago, Zerimar Nyliram said:

Well, since the last update, it seems the decades-old censor is lifted and F-bomb floodgate has been opened (though I remember seeing a few people get around it somehow prior to the update). It looks like the ban on "shit" was lifted a while back as well. I kind of liked that one, though, because every time someone tried to say, "The EU is ****," I'd say in return, "I'm glad you agree it's four stars!"

Anyway, I really wanted to discuss your feelings toward profanity in general. Now, despite my squeaky clean image to those who know me from church and other similar circles, I think those people would be scandalized to discover just how potty-mouthed I am. That being the case, I still recoil sometimes when I hear profanity where it just doesn't belong. With TV becoming more liberal, it really doesn't bother me in most situations, depending upon what's on; but the F-bomb does not belong in Star Trek, which makes it so jarring and out of place when I hear it on a show like Picard.

The same applies with music: it depends on the vibe of the song. Do you remember that song "You're Beautiful" by one-hit wonder James Blunt in the mid-2000s? Well, when I downloaded it on Limewire (in the days before YouTube), I was shocked to learn that the one lyric heard on the radio, "She could see from my face that I was flying high" was actually "She could see from my face that I was fucking high." I'm not a prude, but it just doesn't belong in such an otherwise innocent song! When the profanity is there for sheer shock value rather than following the vibe of that song, it just seems completely out of place. To a lesser extend, even in that song "Bodies" by Tov-Lo, "We fuck for life" seems just a bit too deliberate versus the edited version, "We love for life," which I feel flows much better with the general feel of the song.

You feel me?

[Edit] Hey, why are capital letters edited out of thread titles now? I don't like that. It upsets the grammarian in me.

No. It's up to the songwriter what belongs in his song, IMO

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

When I am in a casual setting like with friends,  I'll swear sometimes, but not every word.  I like to say fuck shit or damn.  Sometimes that comes out when I'm angry, or hurt myself like dropping something on my foot, or whatever.  I generally don't swear around elders, like my dad or  people significantly older than me, that I respect (in fact I respect elders in general).  I absolutely do not swear at work or any professional, educational, or formal setting.  When I write stuff here, and a swear word (****-ed out or not), it's either to express enthusiasm or something I'm passionate about, or occasionally in jest.

However, I think there are people, usually Gen Z, that swear way to much just for shock value, or they don't know any better.  When one swears excessively, especially in environments where it is not appropriate (EG around kids, formal or professional settings), one comes off as less intelligent.  For example, I sometimes see this in public where some young adult, or group of young adults, swear like sailors at a restaurant or wear the stupid tee shirts we all have seen with vulgarity printed on them, where there are young kids or people that are just older and more mature than them who don't want to hear that garbage.  Especially when it is clearly a case where said young adults are basically "Oh, look at me! I'm so grown up because I say fuck, and I don't care who hears it!"

Exactly this. I'll lose respect for you if you swear like every other word. 

• Darth Krawlie changed the title to fuckIn' fuckEr fuckItTy fuck-fuck

I curse via Roger Rabbit rules, generally speaking. (Although, even while I was typing this my ancient laptop froze up for a moment and I let out a 'fuuuuuuuuuuuuu-' followed immediately by me saying 'Excuse my language.' Who am I asking to do that? God, I guess.)

On 10/3/2020 at 2:34 PM, Fozzie said:

refrigerator

This word in conjunction with the topic at hand reminded me of my favourite story anyone's ever told here @ Nightly.net. About how their toddler would pronounce the word 'fudgsicle' as '****sickle' and that ever since they started correcting them on it anytime THEY would say the word 'fudgsicle' the kid would reply with 'NO NO. BAD WORD.' I think about this story all the time, any time I have a fudgsicle or popsicle or ice cream of any kind, pretty much any time I use a freezer or a refrigerator, I'm pretty sure this isn't even the first time I've mentioned how much of an impact this story has on my daily life before.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:25 PM, Zerimar Nyliram said:

Well, yeah, that goes without saying. I wouldn't presume to tell an artist what he or she can or can't do with his work. I'm speaking from a consumer's standpoint. To me, it sounds out of place.

It's like saying the TV dialog edits of R movies are better.  

You really think flying high is a better lyric?   I guess my situation was reversed.  Whenever I heard the radio version it pissed me off.  It changed the entire meaning of the lyric.  He should have just silenced the word for the radio version.  Would have been better. 

When you hear something over and over, it’s hard to find another version of it to be acceptable. Especially something that’s just an ear worm. It’d be like suddenly learning Britney Spears’ hit song was really “Shit Me Baby, One More Time.”

2 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

It's like saying the TV dialog edits of R movies are better.  

You really think flying high is a better lyric?   I guess my situation was reversed.  Whenever I heard the radio version it pissed me off.  It changed the entire meaning of the lyric.  He should have just silenced the word for the radio version.  Would have been better. 

It isn't like that at all, not even close.

I'll give you a better example: If I were to watch a movie like Friday, I will not be at all surprised or uncomfortable when I hear Chris Tucker, "You got knocked the fuck out!" However, when I watch The Sixth Day, a fairly tame PG-13 movie, when the camera dramatically zooms in on Arnold Schwarzenegger and the music builds up until he dramatically says, "So you can go fuck yourself," that is an example of dropping an F-bomb just for the sheer shock value and it feels tacky and out of place. The same is true of certain songs: either it fits or it doesn't. If that's the flow of the song, sure, work it in, but don't drop an F-bomb just to be unexpectedly edgy.

I guess part of it, for me, is because swearing really isn't a big deal in most other films or songs. So when a relatively tame song or movie tries to have an edgy or shocking moment by dropping an F-bomb it's like, "Come on, really?"

It's exactly like that!!   Lmao.   The original lyric meaning is different!!   Just like in TV edits.   Not just close, it's the exact same crime.  

You're talking about thinking something is odd, I'm talking about something being changed and the impact and meaning is removed.  

"Fuck" doesn't belong in Star Trek because the stories take place way, way, way in the future, and what are the chances that people will be using the same cuss words then that we are now? They should have gone the normal route and invented some cuss words. Red Dwarf used "smeg" in place of shit and fuck all the time. 

As for cussing in general, I usually don't mind it, maybe because I hear it so much. I do find it annoying when someone drops the F-bomb every third word in a sentence. 

8 hours ago, Chalcedony said:

"Fuck" doesn't belong in Star Trek because the stories take place way, way, way in the future, and what are the chances that people will be using the same cuss words then that we are now? They should have gone the normal route and invented some cuss words. Red Dwarf used "smeg" in place of shit and fuck all the time.  

I've never liked this concept. Sure, the story takes place in the future (or in the case of a lot of books I read, a fantasy world), but it's being accessed by people here and now. Making up words and changing the language because "it would be different in this time/place" makes it more difficult to access now, unnecessarily. I actively dislike made up swear words. I don't care that in medieval times they didn't use the word fuck. I'm reading/watching it now, and I use fuck, and it makes more sense to me now to hear it.

I just read a book where they changed so much like this. Alcohol became alka, tobacco was bacca, etc etc. Took me way longer to read than normal because I had to stop and figuring out what the fuck they were talking about, when normal language would've made it much more enjoyable.

I don't want to get into a long, drawn out debate about Star Trek, but I do not like the word fuck in Star Trek, either.  Traditionally, Star Trek has been action oriented, but also balanced out  with intellectual stories and morality tales that explore the human condition.  When you have a message like that, you don't need the word fuck.  In fact, the word fuck dilutes that message. Modern Star Trek, IMHO is trying to change Star Trek into something it isn't, which is why you don't get the same kind of INTELLIGENT writing.  Modern Star Trek, instead, compensates by having a lot of explosions and occasional but explicit swearing.  I should also point out that modern Star Trek is also far inferior as a result, IMHO.   Modern Star Trek literally has no real message behind it  like classic Roddenberry/Berman era  Star Trek did, when it was at its best.

Now, other sci fi franchises, I am fine with the eff word, like Alien, Terminator, or Predator.  But it definitely doesn't belong in Trek. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.