Choose your own topic thread: Anyone watching Raised by Wolves OR movies/ shows that are cool ideas, but lazy writing kinda ruins

Darth Ender

I just finished episode 3.  I truly love this concept...but there is some lazy writing.  For example:  If plastic surgery is so easy, why aren't there more protocols in place to test people's identity?

Maybe I am just being biased because I am atheist, but I hate, "the atheists".  I am hoping there is a bit more depth, but I listened to a podcast with the writer and he said scientists (so I guess this means atheists) and religious folks are the same because both groups think they know but really don't so they are the same thing.  That is such a superficial understanding of both I have hope for very little future depth in the story. 

I will still finish it, but I have a feeling that there will be not much depth (not to be confused with more plot) by the end of the series. 

Most times I see it, it's from reviews or crits from an amateur who can't vocalize their problem with a movie or show. They don';t know why it's off, and can't be eloquent about it, so they just say the writing was lazy or weak.

You cited examples, so I am not accusing you of that. I was just triggered is all...

20 hours ago, Tank said:

Most times I see it, it's from reviews or crits from an amateur who can't vocalize their problem with a movie or show. They don';t know why it's off, and can't be eloquent about it, so they just say the writing was lazy or weak.

You cited examples, so I am not accusing you of that. I was just triggered is all...

I guess I have been guilty of that, at times.  And from your POV, I am sure it is frustrating.

But,  I think we can agree there are some pretty lazy writers out there.  Some may or may not have made a Star Trek or Star Wars movie, or 2.

Halfway through at episode 5.  There are some interesting things I am still doubting will have any sort of pay-out. 

The biggest problem, is there really isn't a character I am pulling for...maybe father.  I am interested to know more about his backstory.  Maybe he is more powerful than anyone and we haven't found that out yet. 

Haven't seen the show yet. I hear it's real good!

'Lazy' is one of those negative adjectives where half the time I just have to guess what the person means. Others include : 'weird', 'creepy', 'ugly', 'toxic'.

I don't think a lot of stuff that gets described as 'lazy writing' is really that. Certainly for any kind of collaborative medium involving full-time pay it's almost always an imprecise way to describe what went wrong in the process. Everyone involved worked really hard for an end product that failed to sufficiently entertain, inform, and inspire. No laziness whatsoever!

I think sometimes stuff gets tagged as 'lazy writing' that's nothing more than the unthinking and automatic acceptance of certain kinds of stock plots or sets of understandable expectations of an assumed audience. That's not laziness. That's narrative conventions. It's no lazier than starting your joke with the words 'Knock, knock'. Like, come on, Shakespeare. Prince Hamlet's dad comes back from the dead as a ghost but no one else does. Where's the explanation for why Polonius, Ophelia, both Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Queen Gertrude, Laertes, King Claudius etcetera don't all become ghosts? Why doesn't everyone who dies in Denmark (or the world in general) come back as a ghost? What's stopping them? Are we to assume King Hamlet had a magic amulet that resurrected his spirit? Why is this magical amulet never mentioned in Hamlet? Pretty lazy writing, Shakespeare!

And a lot of stuff that gets bonked as 'lazy writing' in serialized mediums is just stuff that's unaddressed as of yet, or even stuff that's entirely orthogonal to the concerns of the work. So sometimes complaints or criticisms about lazy writing are just this :

o9zRTEZ.jpg

Or this :

gegXXkh.gif

Conclusion : It's not laziness for a work of ongoing drama to not deal with some things or to not deal with some things at that precise moment. And it's not laziness for a work of ongoing drama to deal with things in a way that other works of drama already dealt with 'em.

Addendum : And I kind of think that any good writer or artist in general should eventually get to the point where they need to put less and less of a particular kind of effort into their work. Practice should make perfect, no? So a lot of stuff that's called 'lazy writing' isn't laziness and a lot of stuff that's really good is probably done out of quote unquote laziness. Is it lazy for Clint Eastwood to use a fake doll as a baby for his movie? I don't quite think so. Would it be fair to describe a ninety year old man who is still directing and starring in movies as lazy? Nope! Is it fair to describe Rob Liefeld as lazy because he can't or won't draw feet? No, because he seemed to go through a lot of trouble getting the little ammo pockets on the belts just quite right and crosshatching all those improbable muscles. It's lazier to call these people (or what they do) lazy than it is to find some other way to get at what you're trying to get at.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.