Fozzie Presents Nightly's Movie of the Week, Week Three - And Then There Were None

Since nobody else is taking the lead, I will. The movie is the 1945 version of And Then There Were None, the Agatha Christie classic.

This version is based on the play written by Christie rather than the book, so if you’re familiar with the book, expect some changes.

It’s available streaming through Amazon Prime.

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Well, that hasn't happened so far.

But whatever. Apparently it's a big deal, so just ignore this thread.

We can play spin the bottle for all I care.  I just was saying that was my understanding.  Not complaining at all.

Sorry, I'm having a bad day.  I knew you weren't complaining, Icy.

The best way to do it is to have a list of people who want to participate, and then you select someone from that list. And when we get through everyone, we can cycle back through.  Otherwise, we don't really know who's interested, and it's harder to track.

It was only Wednesday, but it had been a week and a half since the last “movie of the week” thread. I mean, if we want to do movie of two weeks, that’s cool, but let’s call it that.

30 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

8 days, man.  You're rounding WAY up.  Which I do all the time when talking about certain things so I'll accept it. 

Dang, you’re right. I’m going to blame the stuff that’s going on in my brain for my inability to do basic math.

I've never read the book or the play or seen this before. I was pretty sure the cat was the murderer at one point. Didn't recognize nobody from it, neither, so either my memory's failing me or my moderate-to-severe prosopagnosia is worsening. Maybe both!

Best bits :

* First line of dialogue comes, like, five minutes into it w/"What a quiet place.' Classic!

* "Don't you believe in medicine, Doctor?" "Do you believe in justice, Judge?"

* Keyhole shots! Binocular shots!

* Look, a movie where someone says the word 'murder' and then immediately afterwards lightning strikes and thunder rolls is a real movie!

* "Shove it ... under the door, sir."

* "No sane person would think of using seaweed as a pattern for a shawl" strikes me as kind of an early ancestor for a gag like "No human being would stack books like this" from Ghostbusters (1984).

Bad bits :

* None! I approached the film w/an uncritical eye and was entirely glad that I did. It's a serio-comic masterpiece! And, besides, the presence of a monocle in a film removes and resolves any and all blemishes or flaws.

I grew up watching Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, and countless less famous slasher and horror films. Like, from an age where it was probably a form of abuse or neglect to show them to me. But because of that, I don't get scared by movies. This was the first movie to ever actually frighten me.  

The mood is so great, even the outside shots feel claustrophobic. And the actors really inhabit the roles. 

The book is the masterpiece of the mystery genre. And it's influenced so many others. 

One noteworthy thing is that the book was originally Ten Little (N-Word)s, but the American version was And Then There Were None. Later publications changed it to Ten Little Indians and, more recently, Ten Little Soldiers. It's an interesting change since we typically don't see books getting updated, but since the racism was casual and not integral to the plot, and given the massive success of the book up through current day, it makes sense to change it with society.

I watched it last night. Took me 5 hours. I got some nice hash.

I'm going to give my opinions before I read anybody else's and there will be spoilers. I took notes. Because hash.

I LOL ed at the opening credits; a bad drawring of the cool house with someone throwig small buckets of water at it to replicate high surf! AAAHAHAHAHA!

Look it's Topper!-William Henry Blore. LOVE that name, BLORE

Dr. Armstrong reminds me of Lieutenant Columbo-he has that Peter Falk squint

The scene in which the men are watching each other in a circle was brilliant! And I very much liked all the suspicion foreshadowing.

Mr. Rogers cracked my ASS! He is the love child of Agador Spartacus and the Tootsie Pop commercial's Mr. Owl. "don't be silly, Rogers!" 'Don't be silly yourself, sir!' and the scene in which the men take the key to the shed in which he's staying where he tells them to "SHOVE IT!...under the door"?!

ALSO: I like a movie that features a KITTY so prominently (I thought for the first 2 murders, the cat had done it) yet admonish them for not crediting said kitty.

The funniest moment when Dr. Armstrong first mentions the possibility of "MURDER!" and the thunder claps just after, very much a Frau Blucher moment.

I did not like the end but I rarely like how 40s movies end and at least it was intellectually honest.

The ending of the book is much better, and darker. 

Since it’s 80 years old, I don’t think spoilers are necessary. In the book, everyone is guilty and dies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.