I’m so fucking tired guys

Darth Krawlie

HAHAHA. I work behind a lady who slams her fist each time she gets a caller she doesn't like and won't budge on credits or free rush shipping. I'm like, it's not my money. Can you just chill? Because I take her sup calls and I hate it. I'm going to give them what they want in the end. Why do you have to fight it and say these things, Gigi?

I Karen-ed today.

Our school district announced the previous week that they would be bringing back self-contained classroom SpEd students 11/2. However, they left out one key group: the program my son is in. I was furious. Then, when I looked further into the plan, he wasn't even in the 2nd group with gen ed K-1, but he wouldn't come back until 2-5 grades return. I lost my shit and emailed the regional director for SpEd and asked why on earth they were delaying bringing back any group of self-contained SpEd students, and his response was they decided more planning was needed. My son's teacher didn't even know that they weren't going to be included in the first group, let alone the second group. So tonight they announced they had to delay that first group 2 weeks because it was a lot more work than they anticipated, and then they announced that K-1 wouldn't be back any sooner than January 11. So tonight I emailed the district director and now he's on some secret list they have for students who really need in-person and need to come back sooner. And she CCed the same useless guy I emailed a week and a half ago and told him to add my son to the list. Turns out he is the director for my son's program as well as the central part of the district.

So, great, squeaky wheel gets the grease, but WHAT THE HELL. So these kids have autism and/or ADHD and yes, may be a bigger challenge to teach in-person, but they need it. Muting a kid on Zoom doesn't teach them impulse control. My son and his classmates are struggling in this environment, for a multitude of reasons. His teacher has stated that she would much rather be back in the classroom with them. She is doing an awesome job but she is so limited in this environment.

It is really hard to draw the line between advocacy and being a pain in the ass. No one listens to you if you ask nicely.

My schedules are working but I may die soon. I think I average 4 hours of sleep a night. But Tina is thriving. So I do it for LOVE. 

On another note, you should fight the system Destiny. Your (Probably exorbitant taxes pay for promised education of your child) child is priority for you and if you don't make waves they get kinda complacent and not always working in the right direction in a bureaucracy. 

13 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I Karen-ed today.

Our school district announced the previous week that they would be bringing back self-contained classroom SpEd students 11/2. However, they left out one key group: the program my son is in. I was furious. Then, when I looked further into the plan, he wasn't even in the 2nd group with gen ed K-1, but he wouldn't come back until 2-5 grades return. I lost my shit and emailed the regional director for SpEd and asked why on earth they were delaying bringing back any group of self-contained SpEd students, and his response was they decided more planning was needed. My son's teacher didn't even know that they weren't going to be included in the first group, let alone the second group. So tonight they announced they had to delay that first group 2 weeks because it was a lot more work than they anticipated, and then they announced that K-1 wouldn't be back any sooner than January 11. So tonight I emailed the district director and now he's on some secret list they have for students who really need in-person and need to come back sooner. And she CCed the same useless guy I emailed a week and a half ago and told him to add my son to the list. Turns out he is the director for my son's program as well as the central part of the district.

So, great, squeaky wheel gets the grease, but WHAT THE HELL. So these kids have autism and/or ADHD and yes, may be a bigger challenge to teach in-person, but they need it. Muting a kid on Zoom doesn't teach them impulse control. My son and his classmates are struggling in this environment, for a multitude of reasons. His teacher has stated that she would much rather be back in the classroom with them. She is doing an awesome job but she is so limited in this environment.

It is really hard to draw the line between advocacy and being a pain in the ass. No one listens to you if you ask nicely.

We prepped for weeks to bring back our self-contained autism program.  We literally had to shut it down on day 1 due to parents sending their kids with covid-like symptoms. 

That doesn't surprise me whatsoever. We had a family at my daughter's school, which is open, wait a week to get their kid tested while they sent the siblings to school. Of course the siblings came down with it, so then they had to quarantine those classrooms. On the bright side, it appears that wearing masks and having good ventilation works, because no one else has come down with it.

Unfortunately, our district is underfunded and overcrowded because the general populace is a bunch of cheap ***holes who vote down everything. We have a couple of very loud activists who have an axe to grind with the district and have very effective misinformation campaigns any time something related to schools is on the ballot. So my taxes are literally half of what I would pay elsewhere. I really think we need to move if my son can't get out of SpEd or into my daughter's school. Other districts would not have him in a self-contained classroom. I love his teacher but he is held back by the classroom structure and the work is below grade-level, I think to avoid frustrating the kids and to focus on SEL.

My parents let me go my whole childhood with an undiagnosed and untreated severe anxiety disorder because “you don’t want that.”

My mom tried to stop me pursuing a diagnosis for my fibro for the same reason.

Turns out you can still be sick even if you “don’t want that”! And doing the ostrich about it won’t make it go away. Just makes it worse.

So I’m glad you’re taking Eli’s problems seriously and looking for a diagnosis - and treatment.

We're actually pretty positive he doesn't have it. It was a bit reactionary on our part. He's doing the exact same shit Lyra did at the same age, and we took her in for it, and she wasn't anywhere close to it. We're just exhausted and grasping at straws. We need to change our reactions to him/strategies with him.

14 hours ago, Cerina said:

There are worse things than an autism diagnosis. Like not knowing and thinking your kid is just a little shit. A formal diagnosis opens doorways to therapies and services. I hope you guys get some answers. 

This.

Even without a disgnosis, a lot of the strategies of self-regulation and such are beneficial to all children.

For example, children with autism frequently require visual reminders...but hell...visual reminders are great in general. 

The school really pushed autism for Louis, but it’s ADHD. And, yeah, some of the stuff that helps with autism and ADHD is also good for everyone.

Due to covid, we haven't had a doctor or teacher suggest autism for Luke in like 9 months. We still haven't had a formal evaluation, just a lot of "let's keep an eye on all these red flags". The kid still has several autistic traits and tendencies, but it's done wonders for us to view them as such and not as behavioral issues. By "us", I mean Noah, my sister, and I. Trevor and the rest of the family are still coming around. 

It's a huge mind-shift to go from "he's being a problem" to "he's having a problem", but it's literally life-changing. 

24 minutes ago, Cerina said:

Due to covid, we haven't had a doctor or teacher suggest autism for Luke in like 9 months. We still haven't had a formal evaluation, just a lot of "let's keep an eye on all these red flags". The kid still has several autistic traits and tendencies, but it's done wonders for us to view them as such and not as behavioral issues. By "us", I mean Noah, my sister, and I. Trevor and the rest of the family are still coming around. 

It's a huge mind-shift to go from "he's being a problem" to "he's having a problem", but it's literally life-changing. 

This should be the default view with everyone, especially children.

• 3 weeks later...

Lately I've just been wasting my evenings. Instead of reading a book or even playing a video game after I'm done with work, I'll sit at my computer and peruse my social media platforms and YouTube. Been doing that for about a week and a half straight. No energy to do much else.

But I've also been a tad sick this week.

I just want the weather to fucking pick a lane and stay there. Since the beginning of October, I wake up around pain level 2-3 and go to bed around a 5-6 (7 is my limit, that's when I call into work and call my doctor). And I still have to go to work and live my life and all that. I wake up exhausted and it just gets worse from there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.