Icy Presents Nightly's Movie of the Week, Week Two - Seth Gets Paid

Iceheart

So I know most of us probably have seen Hellfest at this point.  I happened to see it for the first time in the theater.  I liked that it was a throwback to 1970s/1980s horror (definitely felt like the original Halloween films and Funhouse, in particular), with a little modern horror feel (a bit like Saw and Scream).  It definitely was more of a Halloween season movie, than the horrible Halloween movie that came out around the same time.  I definitely enjoyed it, and have seen Hellfest a couple times since at home.  

Two things I want to ask Tank is this:  was Tony Todd cast AFTER, or was his role written for him.  Tony Todd has a unique ability to take any movie and make it better. Also, is there a sequel planned?  The ending  hints that there will be. 

3 hours ago, Zathras said:

So I know most of us probably have seen Hellfest at this point.  I happened to see it for the first time in the theater.  I liked that it was a throwback to 1970s/1980s horror (definitely felt like the original Halloween films and Funhouse, in particular), with a little modern horror feel (a bit like Saw and Scream).  It definitely was more of a Halloween season movie, than the horrible Halloween movie that came out around the same time.  I definitely enjoyed it, and have seen Hellfest a couple times since at home.  

Two things I want to ask Tank is this:  was Tony Todd cast AFTER, or was his role written for him.  Tony Todd has a unique ability to take any movie and make it better. Also, is there a sequel planned?  The ending  hints that there will be. 

Todd was cast after it was written-- which is why the part wasn't bigger. He crushed it-- he was hired just weeks before shooting. Had we known sooner, the part would have def been expanded. In the very early days we were thinking of Marilyn Manson for the part. I'm glad it ended up being Tony Todd.

2 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

My kids want to see this pretty bad.  They love horror.  We're going to try to watch it over the weekend. 

How old are they? What's their gore level?

Todd was cast after it was written-- which is why the part wasn't bigger. He crushed it-- he was hired just weeks before shooting. Had we known sooner, the part would have def been expanded. In the very early days we were thinking of Marilyn Manson for the part. I'm glad it ended up being Tony Todd.

I am glad they cast Tony Todd, too.  Marilyn Manson would have been, well, way different.  Maybe he would have been good, but he's no Tony Todd.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

How old are they? What's their gore level?

21, 19, and 17.  

My 19 year old, he loves Hereditary, the Shining.  They also love Halloween, Insidious, Conjuring.  They watch pretty much any scary movie.  They hate the SAW movies though. Lol

Just watched.  I'm glad a movie like this got made and that's it's someone I know.  I've been thinking about a serial killer at a haunted house ever since college and someone finally made one.  Maybe it's been done before but none that I know of. 

Anyway, two of my boys watched it. Thought it was cool.  I enjoyed it. A lot of horror standards but the setting and the mood created from being in this setting, it really sets this film apart from the others.  Plus, it was a good touch having the cops show up, find nothing.  And that final shot....makes the movie.  Loved it. 

I'm surprised that the killer stabbed the last two victims in front of everyone.  Seemed a bit out of character plus he could have easily been jumped by a few people and been pinned down.  I don't think he would have risked that but that's a very minor grumble. 

Oh and the short haired girl could have dialed back her rebellious party chic vibe a few notches.  Thr other characters, especially the lead, were great.  

5 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

Have you seen the Walmart packaging for this?  They slapped the word 'Heck on the front cover. 

I have NOT seen this, and NEED TO!

3 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

I'm surprised that the killer stabbed the last two victims in front of everyone.  Seemed a bit out of character plus he could have easily been jumped by a few people and been pinned down.  I don't think he would have risked that but that's a very minor grumble.

This IS a bummer. Here's what was supposed to happen...

Taylor was supposed to run into a parade as she fled. She tries to cross it, but security stops her. The Other reaches her and guts her in the crowd. She's begging for help, but everyone thinks it is part the show until it gets really messy. People freak and run,  Quinn catches up and gets trampled by the crowd and ultimately run over by a float.

Late in pre-production the parade proved way too expensive, so it was simplified down to what we saw. No one was happy. Greg, the director, says it's his one big regret. It's a de-escalation to go from what has happened up until then to go back to being stabby.

That's too bad, Tank.  Where were the security guards.  They were only a few feet away from the stage!   Everyone in the crowd freaks out and runs which is understandable.  But someone, maybe a couple of security guards, could have taken him down if he exposes himself like he did.  

I know.  I'm just being nitpicky.  

I also forgot to mention I really liked the opening credit sequence.  Sets the movie up great.  

It's nice that they got to Hell Fest right away.  No long setup, waiting to get there, just a quick 10 to minute character intro, and BOOM.  HELL FEST. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.