Icy Presents Nightly's Movie of the Week, Week Two - Seth Gets Paid

Iceheart

• Iceheart changed the title to Icy Presents Nightly's Movie of the Week, Week Two - Seth Gets Paid
1 hour ago, R.CAllen said:

Can't wait to watch this movie whose premise seems at first glance (I've just seen the poster and read the one-sentence ImdB logline) like it was ripped off from one of R.L. Stine's Goosebumps books.

I did not rip off a Goosebumps book.

I gotta confess that when I saw this movie's title in a topic on this here board some years ago I just assumed Cantankerous Jedi was programming a film festival or something like that. But it's a real movie! Real things happening! Was it worth pushing pause on the crime-stopping adventures of Michael Emerson and Jim Caviezel for ninety minutes? Yeah!

Best bits:

* The lighting! Who lit this movie - Wario Bava?

* I guess on some level we're w/the characters because just like them a savvy audience is torn between going w/the flow and being scared AND trying to suss out what's coming next. So it works! The conceit of the movie is solid!

* The scene on the ride (Night Bumps?) where it breaks down, Tony Todd made his little safety announcement, it got me! I thought we were sufficiently early in the film that the whole thing was going to swerve and be all about the kitty-eared girl from then on! I thought the main girl was a goner! I'm a rube, I'm a mark! It was a well executed piece of business!

* The guy getting the knife to the eye had the desired effect. I had my hands up over my face, had to pause the movie right after, the whole nine yards. The horror was horrifying! The classics - they work!

* yes, I liked recognizing the masks at the v. end.

* Oh, wait! 1/6th of the writing was amazing! Just the best writing ever! Mwah mwah mwah!

Bad bits:

* Okay so twenty-five minutes into the movie they're all playing carnie games and the dude running the ringtoss says, 'This is painful, bro.' because the main love interest can't win and the main girl is all like, 'Sometimes you just gotta accept that this is not for you.' Indeed! This is about where I'd shut off the movie under normal circumstances! Nothing interesting is happening! I only know three of the six main characters' names ('Grade School', Gavin, Brooke)! I dislike the nursery rhyme motif! There's just some pretty lights, that's all! That's what the movie has got going for it at this point - lights!

* I do not buy that that particular kind of guy has seen David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986), sorry! Obliquely referencing better films, good! Ripping off better films wholesale, good! Openly and unambiguously referencing better films in a hamfisted manner just makes me wonder why I'm not rewatching them instead, bad! (Okay, maaaaybe if that guy was the guy who bought the VIP tickets in the first place.)

* wrong doll at the very end! It's not the doll that the guy made a big deal of choosing out for the main girl! It's just a regular old tiger doll one of the other guys won! Gotta have it be the main doll!

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I did not rip off a Goosebumps book.

Good to know! If you'd have let me known sooner I could've put off watching the flick 'til tomorrow! As it is, I couldn't wait to count up all the resemblances to 1994's One Day At Horrorland and sat down to watch the film tout suite!

Tank, make Hell Fest real. I want to go, even if there’s a 1% chance of dying.

There could have been more Tony Todd, but at least we got to hear his voice everywhere.

And I couldn’t help but yell KILL HIM! KICK HIM IN THE HEAD! at the end when the killer gets shanked which is exactly what my dad yells every time the MC gravely wounds but does not obviously kill a bad guy. But you were angling for a sequel, so.

All in all, solid and enjoyable flick. 

The eye shot stuck with me for awhile after watching it after buying the blu-ray.  I don't remember a lot of the other kill scenes right now, so I don't recall how much gore there was, but this scene is the biggest reason I hesitate trying to get my wife to watch the movie with me.  I'm looking forward to watching the movie again in a few days (probably not until Saturday).

1 hour ago, R.CAllen said:

* Oh, wait! 1/6th of the writing was amazing! Just the best writing ever! Mwah mwah mwah!

Credit distribution is not created equal. It's more 85-90% me. Nothing the "story by" credit dudes wrote was even produced.

I still need to rewatch, but I love slasher films and this is possibly my favorite slasher film from the past decade.  I enjoyed it way more than the new Halloween, and it's a bummer that it didn't do as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.