Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Ms. Spam

The problem with term limits is that you have a lot of people with no experience or knowledge, surrounded by people who are more knowledgeable and throwing money at them (lobbyists). Term limits are almost guaranteed to increase the power of the lobbyists even more.

But I am down with getting rid of lifetime appointments. It should be long enough to be meaningful and protect people from all-out politics, but either term limits or age limits would be great. I think 75 is a fine age limit for any federal office.

Some federal jobs have mandatory retirement already, in some cases at 65 (EG military, law enforcement).  They also have minimum health standards, and that should include mental capacity.  I don't think RBG was fit either by age, or physical and mental capacities for at least 15 years. 

2 minutes ago, Zathras said:

Some federal jobs have mandatory retirement already, in some cases at 65 (EG military, law enforcement).  They also have minimum health standards, and that should include mental capacity.  I don't think RBG was fit either by age, or physical and mental capacities for at least 15 years. 

I haven’t seen any signs of cognitive decline from her, but her physical health at times made it more difficult to do her job.

Agree to disagree.  The emotional toll fighting cancer for most people is tremendous.  I am sure it affected her in some way.  Point is though, she should have stepped down a long time ago.  It was a selfish act to stay on that long.  Had she stepped down during the Obama term, the dems would not be in this mess in the first place.

On 9/19/2020 at 7:19 PM, Fozzie said:

The problem with term limits is that you have a lot of people with no experience or knowledge, surrounded by people who are more knowledgeable and throwing money at them (lobbyists). Term limits are almost guaranteed to increase the power of the lobbyists even more.

But I am down with getting rid of lifetime appointments. It should be long enough to be meaningful and protect people from all-out politics, but either term limits or age limits would be great. I think 75 is a fine age limit for any federal office.

I was thinking about that. I don't know what we can do but this is frustratingly weird what's happening now with the nominee. I feel like a teenager with no power and struggling to express myself in saying WHAT THE HELL SENATE? HOW CAN YOU SAY ONE THING AND DO ANOTHER FOUR YEARS LATER? YOU SUCK. I WANT TO RUNAWAY. Ruth probably would have retired already if we had a different situation. She stuck it out because she felt a sense of obligation and service longer than normal. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.