Well, fuck.

Iceheart

Since it looks like I'm going back to my old company and a lot of my old job duties - including social media coordination - and I have an Etsy shop to promote - and I'm getting more involved with my alumni association, who hubs on Facebook... I made a fresh business account. You really want to friend me there, I'm under Katrina Peshka.

Ugh.

Oof.

Gah.

Unfollow everyone that you don’t absolutely have to follow. Do it immediately, as soon as you’re friends with them. Then they can’t sneak into your consciousness.

I’ve deleted several social media accounts in various places. You have to do what is best for your mental health, even while supporting your business.

Fozzie makes a good point, unfollowing people is a healthy choice. You can then set a schedule to look at other people’s walls, if you so want. I try to do that at least twice a month.

Another good tip is just not being afraid of unfriending people, or even not accepting invites you really don’t want. It’s your account, not theirs, run it how you wish. I personally struggle with this very much.

Side Note: I have issues, collective duh, my Deviantart account was suddenly bombarded with thousands of likes and comments over silly iphone wallpapers I had made. One of the commenters was like I found your stuff on Pinterest! I don’t even have a pinterest. The wallpapers were also copied to other sites, tho my wife said it was cool they still had the credit. It freaked me out tho, so I deleted the Deviantart account. LOL Maybe I have more than issues, more than a subscription, maybe I have like complete access to the back issue catalog.

Anyway, if your business page needs likes and stuff I will totally hook it up. I did that for Tank, and Cerina’s husband too.

10 hours ago, Spider-Man said:

I’ve deleted several social media accounts in various places. You have to do what is best for your mental health, even while supporting your business.

That’s why I’m not just going back to my old account, I quit it after a nervous breakdown two years ago. I don’t want to go back, but it’s time to with all the things going on in my life that rely on Facebook.

So, yeah, I did post this as a “hey, friend me’!” I need friends I won’t want to shoot into the sun.

I agree with the unfollowing suggestion.  There aren't that many people on Facebook that I have done this to because I am very fortunate that my friends on there, just as in my daily life, are pretty much all sane people who don't spread nonsense or cause drama, but it has definitely made an impact on my feed by getting rid of a few people who are hateful, ignorant, and/or annoying.  The one option I wish they had still was just choosing to see less from a person.  There are definitely people that I like seeing updates from, but who also post way too much stuff, who swamp out everyone else form my feed.  I don't want to unfollow them or hide them for 30 days, though.  It would just be nice to thin their posts out some.

After a long chat with my wife, spurred by this thread, I’ve found the courage? No. Gumption? Yeah, works. Anyway I have found the gumption to start trimming away my Facebook friends list. With a few doubles dropped, one or two people in jail (apparently) dropped, and the rest being Trumpets which got dropped, I trimmed down to 70 friends. I never had much more than that, but now I have to figure out which single Trumpet family member to drop so I can giggle every time I see my friends list number.

Trimming Friends lists opened up a whole new world of things for me. I just spent a lazy hour and a half scrolling through my Facebook wall all the way to January 2015, it was so cool to see silly old photos and silly stories about my kids. As I did this I cleansed my wall of President He Who Shall Not Be Named. ;-) Surprisingly it was only about 40+ posts. Man, it’s probably a good thing that I can’t time travel.

2 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I mostly just use it for collector's groups these days, but even those I need to use less because they convince me to spend money. Most of the people who regularly post on Facebook, even close friends and people I like a lot, post really irritating shit.

Not my fb page.  It's different, you'd like it.  I do this really cool thing on there where when I go out to eat, I take a picture of my food.  I even do it when I cook at home, too.  Super cool.  When I'm at the pool, I like to take a picture of my legs, with the pool in the background.   Oh then when I want to be extra thoughtful, I do this thing where I post about paying it forward, making a difference because I paid for the frappuccino in the car behind me at Starbucks.  

I did it. As I sat having to delete family and friends for their insane conspiracy fueled positions, I just decided to go all the way. I deleted my Facebook. However I didn’t realize that Messenger no longer allows you to have an account without a Facebook. You used to be able to sign up with an email or phone number and not have Facebook at all. Apparently Facebook removed that option in Dec 2019.

I have an etsy account tho obvi, since I bought from Icy. So I will favorite your store and leave a positive review once I check the mail today. I was just notified the order arrived, you’re faster than mega corps and all ebayers I have ever dealt with Icy!

1 hour ago, Spider-Man said:

I did it. As I sat having to delete family and friends for their insane conspiracy fueled positions, I just decided to go all the way. I deleted my Facebook. However I didn’t realize that Messenger no longer allows you to have an account without a Facebook. You used to be able to sign up with an email or phone number and not have Facebook at all. Apparently Facebook removed that option in Dec 2019.

I have an etsy account tho obvi, since I bought from Icy. So I will favorite your store and leave a positive review once I check the mail today. I was just notified the order arrived, you’re faster than mega corps and all ebayers I have ever dealt with Icy!

Whooo! I have this thing where I CAN NOT REST until something is done, so I get my orders out as fast as I possibly can.

That’s why I didn’t delete my old account, just let it go dormant. I wanted to be somewhat available without giving my number to absolutely everybody, so I kept messenger on my phone. And Spotify won’t let you switch an existing account from a Facebook login to an email, which is lame, but I didn’t want to lose years of playlists and favorites. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.