Best Cover Songs

Metropolis

I knew disturbed would come up. Ugh.  Lol

Blinded By The Light by Mannfred Mann  comes to mind. 

Mercy Me by The Strokes, featuring Eddie Vedder

Huey Lewis & The News released an entire album of 60's R&B tunes,  Four Chords And Several Years Ago.  That whole album is impressive.  

I Love Rock and Roll: Joan Jett's version

China Girl:  Bowie's version

Hall of Mirrors: Siouxsie and the Banshees version

Dead Souls: NIN version

You Really Got Me: Van Halen version

California Girls: David Lee Roth version

It's My Life: No Doubt version

Black Magic Woman: Santana version

Covers I like more than the original version:

The Slits "heard it through the grapevine".  

Nirvana "the man who sold the world" 

Nirvana "love buzz"

Hendrix's "... watchtower"

Moon Duo "planet caravan" 

Johnny Cash "hurt" 

Sid Vicious "My Way" 

Ty Segall "every 1s a winner"

Blue Cheer "summertime blues" 

Steve Earle "Colorado girl" 

The Jesus and Mary Chain do a version of "surfing USA" which is pretty sweet but I don't think it beats the Beach Boys though.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:17 AM, Fozzie said:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley. A cover that has far surpassed the original.

I mean, yeah Buckley's version is pretty amazing but I still like Leonard Cohens version more. Mostly just cause I don't like Jeff Buckley though, not because I think his version is inferior or anything.

2 hours ago, Odine said:

I mean, yeah Buckley's version is pretty amazing but I still like Leonard Cohens version more. Mostly just cause I don't like Jeff Buckley though, not because I think his version is inferior or anything.

There’s definitely an argument. I also prefer Cohen’s version, but Buckley’s is way more popular. Even the countless covers are covering Buckley.

Pretty much anything and everything that Postmodern Jukebox has covered. Love it all. But especially Creep and Zombie. Not that the originals aren't stellar in their own right, but PMJ evokes a completely different set of emotions and I can't make my brain explain how that's possible with such pointed lyrics. 

Some other good ones:

In the air tonight by Genesis covered by Non-Point.

I fought the law by the Crickets covered by The Clash. This song is covered by many, but the Clash cover will always be the best.

Let’s go crazy by Prince covered by Incubus.

Turn the page by Bob Seger covered by Metallica

You'll laugh but The Pointer Sisters' album Energy is a whole album of remakes and it's my fave. They did Stephen Stills' "As I Come of Age" with perfection and did a solid turn on Steely Dan's "Dirty Work", though I'd not call that one better.

CSNY/ Woodstock. I recognize her talent but have never embraced Joni Mitchell's singing style.

Clapton/Cocaine; he made it generic but the original was downright anemic

Robert Palmer/Bad Case of Lovin' You-I like Moon Martin but Bob put teeth into this.

Nirvana/Man Who Sold The World-not many could outdo Bowie, IMHO but Nirvana put an edge on this I just love

Talking Heads/Take Me To The River-LOVE me some Motown but they changed this beat for the better

Joe Cocker/With a Little Help From My Friends-this was in my face long before Wonder Years used it and it took me a while to get used to it, but WOW

Bruce/Because the Night

Urge Overkill/Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.