Moving, mortgages, and renovations

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1st house from this weekend did not go pending, which was a shock. We're going to go look at it again tomorrow. I'm more willing to consider knocking out walls and doing upgrades if I don't have to en

What a difference some time makes. I got a full-time job working from home 99% of the time. It's going super-well so far. We worked out a solution where I still plan and execute Noah's classes since N

We are pending! Got my magic number and no contingencies, but with a 32-day close because of the weekend. A little obnoxious because they sent it at 1 AM and the offer expired at 1 PM, so clearly they

Posted Images

My parents accepted an offer that weekend they listed their house. Like it was done in 30 days for them. They were so tired out from just moving and selling and prepping to leave in thirty days and yet they still wanted to help me move if we bought this summer. I couldn't do that to them. They had that same amount of showings and were floored. This market is INSANE.

Our realtor did say that she's already had some interest on putting in a early offer to avoid a bidding war. In my experience, that just starts the bidding war earlier. Our offer review deadline is Tuesday at noon because we would like to make a decision that night. But if someone puts in an offer this weekend, we've given our realtor our magic number and other details (no contingencies, close in 30 days or less, etc). But then she will turn around and call anyone who has shown interest and tell them we have an offer on the table and that they better put something together if they want to play.

Up to 13 showings scheduled for today. Found out from my neighbors that someone tried to climb our gate yesterday during a showing because they couldn't figure out how to unlatch the gate from the front. (Hint: its difficult for a reason.) Just go through the freaking house, stupid. Also found my back slider door unlocked at 9pm last night when I went back to check on the house. But no mud tracked in on new carpets, no turds left floating in the toilet. We have some interesting clientele in this area from different ethnic backgrounds, and they do not necessarily follow common American cultural norms and rules. They think their time is their time and can appear to be inconsiderate and pushy. And I hate saying that "out loud" but I know who is trying to buy my house. There is a major religious gathering place not far from where we live, so this area has many people who follow that religion and they enjoy the proximity. My first Girl Scout troop in the neighborhood was more ethnically diverse and it was a bit of a culture shock for me. Parents thought I was free babysitting for them and expected a lot, and gave nothing in return. I had to be firm on my boundaries.

We are pending! Got my magic number and no contingencies, but with a 32-day close because of the weekend. A little obnoxious because they sent it at 1 AM and the offer expired at 1 PM, so clearly they were trying to avoid any other offers coming in. We also had an open house from 11-1 today so they were trying to get that canceled or avoid bidding against anyone who went to that. In the end, the other offers said they had planned on offering $50k less than my magic number so we decided let's take a sure thing. I feel good, and I don't think we left money on the table because even though there was tons of interest, they weren't willing to match or beat this other offer.

The realtor who ran the open house said he showed up 15 minutes early and there were people waiting already. It was a zoo.

When we bought 8 years ago, it was a buyer's market, for sure. I remember there being so many houses available so we could afford to be picky, until all of a sudden things picked up and ours went pending and we lost 3 houses in a week and had to scramble for the one we ended up in. We had to sacrifice on a few things, like we wanted a 3 car garage and had to settle for 2 (and then it turned out that you couldn't actually fit 2 cars in it at the same time), and the yard was smaller than we really wanted but at least it was double our old yard. I really liked the house and Floorplan itself, though.

I got about half the boxes out of the garage and at least partially unpacked. I'm super frustrated with storage space, however. The old house has fabulous storage. Lots of big closets, and we added more storage because I like everything to have its place. Right now I'm struggling with stupid things like the fact that our master suite has 2 pocket doors, which means I can't use my hooks for the hat organizer or hanging the robes over the door. I think the hats are going to have to go in the linen closet because it has an actual door (as opposed to folding doors at our old house), and I will have to buy hooks to sink into the wall in the bathroom. I'm just having a hard time putting things away because some of our former storage solutions aren't working here because of things like doors and wall space.

Pictures: 2 views of my laundry room, without the washer and dryer. We installed all of that last year and took down the wire rack shelving that had been in there. I need something like this again.

genMbmob.1846622_30_0.jpg

genMbmob.1846622_31_0.jpg

I'm so frustrated with this kitchen. I need to use the pot rack to free up some storage space, but there is a skylight right where the pot rack should go. I might have to put it over the sink, which just looks kind of stupid.

I got a pot pull out drawer from the Container Store because I too have limited storage. It's been handy. It's got stuff to keep them upright and I put in a lid one too. It freed up some space for me. I also had to edit some of the nonsense I only use once a year or less from my kitchen. HA.

Pull out storage is going to be a necessity. Our new pantry is useless because it is super deep instead of wide. So thats the first one that we need to upgrade. Also going to get rid of a few pots that get infrequent use. I kept one stock pot because it came with an insert that was great for clams but I can buy another insert for the stock pot that we use more often for soup. It's our last Teflon pot so I should've gotten rid of it long ago.

I also appear to have misplaced a box of winter clothes for my daughter, and it's frustrating the heck out of me. Its getting colder and she needs some warmer shirts.

Found the box of winter clothes, finally.

Latest usage idea: formal living room becomes the family room, move the TV and couches in there. Keep bookshelves and have them frame the TV, which is what we did in the old old house from our newlywed years. Family room gets a pool table, and we install a bar in the space where there is currently an awkward railing. Lots of storage in the bar for kitchen items. Big wine fridge where the kitchen desk currently is. Tear out the kitchen island because its a little too big for the space, and we will have the bar. Portable chef cart to go into formal dining room where the wine currently is.

Debating doing the wall bed in the bonus room. A sleeper sofa would be a better use for the space. I'm hoping we can find a comfortable one. Reclining would make my husband even happier. We currently have a loveseat recliner in there that was not very expensive and is getting worn already. That would also free up wall space for storage. The kids need access to their toys and games, and I don't think the storage closet under the stairs will fit everything in a manner that is easy to access. Most of the kids stuff was in a small walk-in closet before, plus some of that cubby storage. I would like to get rid of a dresser in my son's room so he can have a bookshelf instead.

I also spent some time today putting lesser used linens into space saver bags, like our guest comforter and pillows, and the summer quilts. It did free up a lot of space in the linen closets. Got the master closet organized as well so now I can see where else I can fit lesser used items.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some Rev-A-Shelf installed in the pantry. Already a million times better.

Also made an executive decision to order some storage. I almost got exactly what we had before, but decided to start small and not do wall mounted. I'm getting frustrated by not being able to unpack because there's simply no place to put stuff. And the kids need access to their toys. So unfortunately it will take about a week to get here but better than nothing. For this weekend, we are going to unpack the office so that I know how much more storage I have in there, and move the family room stuff into the formal living so that we can make sure its actually going to fit before we order a pool table.

20211023_175238.jpg

Screenshot_20211023-183743_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20211023-183808_Amazon Shopping.jpg