New Mutants?

Ms. Spam

Black Panther was weak and super derivative. Avengers = too much cheese, too many quips.

Actually, those complaints apply to every Disney MCU film.

Theyd actually apply to all of the MCU films. Disney have been pretty hands off MCU considering the sh*t ton of money its bad. There was literally no real change in the output when Disney took over, if anything they improved things but giving Feige more control.

I don't mean Disney directly. I hate that shit. I'm just using them as the time the shift occurred. Not blaming them.

Yeah that’s fair - just I didn’t think there was much of a shift, they’ve seemed fairly consistent the whole time. As Choc said, most are all pretty average.

Though I guess the MCU do look a lot better considering just how badly DC dropped the quality post Nolan.

The earlier Marvel films come across to me like the director has a lot more control and artistic freedom. That can get a film series in trouble, we all know, but watching a director's vision independently realized is far more satisfying than watching a 'boardroom of directors' movie, greenlighting the same origin story film every time for every character introduced.

Feel like the following is the obvious joke about a film that's been delayed for three years based on a concept that's nearly thirty eight years old in a film franchise that is itself two decades out from the start but nevertheless —

Old Mutants! They should've called the movie Old Mutants!

(Also : they apparently managed to leap the hurdle of correctly spelling 'Sienkiewicz' in the closing credits but somehow goofed on 'McLeod'.)

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

New Mutants was good. It's smaller scaled and more intimate than the typical superhero blockbuster. I was a huge fan of the comic in the 80s and I really don't have much complaints about it. They did a pretty good job of adapting the Demon Bear storyline. From what I read Josh Boone had a trilogy plan which I'm sad he won't get to complete. Warlock, Karma, Cypher and the Inferno storyline were all on deck to be used.

The MCU is great and all but I did like the different feel to the X-Men Fox movies. I'm probably one of the few that did.

I finally watched it too. I thought the directing was terrible. Coverage was the most basic thing ever and it really suffered from a lack of style, and to be honest, the plot was very by the numbers. Which is really too bad because the casting and performances were spot on and Stellar. Maisie Williams as Rahne and a pre-famous Anna Taylor Joy as Illyana were so perfect in those roles I could watch them in a whole series of terrible movies (just like I dud for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart).

In my opinion, it had a very low bar so it exceeded everything. But I didn’t love any of the X-films, so it exceeded my expectations and was good enough. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.