Jedigoat Presents: Nightly's Movie Of The Week! Week One: THE NICE GUYS

Jedigoat

I kinda feel like by 2016 Crowe was well on his way towards his decline and Gosling was into his ascendance. I see the movie as a story about a widowed down on his luck PI with a daughter to raise, it's the origin story of him meeting his violent but generally even-tempered partner, it's kind of a movie about a TV show that never happened — one in which the Ryan Gosling guy is sort of the main guy, the Russell Crowe guy is that guy's older partner / mentor figure. Yes, I know what the title of this movie is! I still think that's the deal. (I understand this probably makes no difference and the decision about whose name goes first in the credits is primarily a business one and was made long before the movie existed in its final form.)

3 hours ago, Zathras said:

Don't feel bad.  I couldn't get into it, either. I turned it off after 20 minutes.  

Wha???!!!

I think I said in one of the earlier posts, I was a little bored with it the first time through.  Somehow I ended up watching it a second time and thought it was amazing. 

3 hours ago, Zathras said:

Don't feel bad.  I couldn't get into it, either. I turned it off after 20 minutes.  

I thought about it, but decided to leave it on as background noise while I exercised, so I turned it off with 20 minutes to go.

I’ve never been into buddy cop movies, anyway.

You’re never going to pick a movie that’s universally loved unless you pick ANH, and that’s against the rules, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

... tho if I get picked before Halloween I’m picking Seth’s slasher movie, so that’ll probably be universally loved, now that I think about it.

4 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

Wha???!!!

I think I said in one of the earlier posts, I was a little bored with it the first time through.  Somehow I ended up watching it a second time and thought it was amazing. 

I am currently trying again, after having 4 IPAs maybe it will be better. I'll let you know when I am done but so far, 30 minutes in I am still bored off my ass.

26 minutes ago, Zathras said:

I am currently trying again, after having 4 IPAs maybe it will be better. I'll let you know when I am done but so far, 30 minutes in I am still bored off my ass.

No way. Maybe you're watching the wrong movie?  You're probably accidentally watching Mr. Nice Guy with Jackie Chan. 

Sorry guys, this has to go into the movie about a stereotypical absentee parent, who is a habitual fuck up buffoon with a heart of gold,  that wins the day by pure luck, who has a pissed off teen child who knows all story column.   I won't say it is horrible, just a film trying to ape the Coen Brothers way too hard with predictable tropes. 

47 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

His wife died, and that's when I think he started being a deadbeat.  At least it gives a reason and excuse for it.  Especially since it's his fault. 

True.  But it just had too many slow points.  It had its moments, I'll say that. But this probably is more about my sense of humor than anything else.  I'd give it a C+.

i often find that how I react to movies like this, and to some extent comedies in general, depends on my mood.  With all sorts of shit going on, I was absolutely in the right frame of mind for this type of movie right now.  I don't like to rate things in general; I grade too much as it is for work. ;)  I can say that the movie didn't really stick with me after the first time I watched it and that most things didn't super stick with me this time either.  It was an enjoyable watch for me both times, though.

Yeah, that is one of the things I am most looking forward to with this.  I have so many movies on dvd/blu-ray and access to so many more through all of the various streaming platforms that I often can't decide what to watch and watch nothing at all or just settle in on rewatching movies that I love.

This movie does what Shane Black does best-- fun action, two men bonding via a mutual dislike that turns into respect, and the idea that we can make our own untraditional families.

I feel like Black likes to make movies that challenge masculinity, but are often so full of tropes that overplay masculinity that the thing he tries to critique is sensationalized.

I saw this when it came out and enjoyed it, but I never felt compelled  to watch it again as Lethal Weapon and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang play with the same tropes with characters I find more interesting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.