Jedigoat Presents: Nightly's Movie Of The Week! Week One: THE NICE GUYS

Jedigoat

I'm in.

Request that nominations be available through the major streamers, please.

Speaking of, how do we know who chooses the movie each week?

Icy, are you, and everyone else ok with renting through the streamers or just the stuff that's included in membership?

I'm going to post the movie but realized folks may frown on the 3.99 rental fee or whatever the amount is. It's on HBO max though.

Is it possible to include a single episode of a TV or web series? Especially if it is a 2-parter about the same length as a movie?

I suppose so.

Zathras already nixed the idea anyway, but if we do decide to do it, I would say pilot episodes only. If we've never watched the show, and the episode(s) are like from season 5, that's not fun for everyone.

I'm in.

Request that nominations be available through the major streamers, please.

Speaking of, how do we know who chooses the movie each week?

Icy, are you, and everyone else ok with renting through the streamers or just the stuff that's included in membership?

I'm going to post the movie but realized folks may frown on the 3.99 rental fee or whatever the amount is. It's on HBO max though.

I'd prefer to stick with what's available through membership, I have very little disposable cash right now, so a rental each week would be too much. But a one-time deal would be fine, and I can use a free trial on my Roku, too.

Ok. When I first saw this film, I actually thought it was rather boring. But now, I wish this film would just keep going and going. I want to be a part of this world. Box office numbers were low, so any possibility of a sequel is gone. There was talk of a TV show, but that's doubtful as well.

The opening title sets the tone well, you get location and the opening tune sets the tone. The car crashing through the house is a great wtf moment to grab the audience. I still wonder why the parents didn't get up and weren't shown. Did the car crash kill them? Obviously they're left out to keep the pace and mood of the scene in place, but still. Lol

Saw it again yesterday. Not to be grim but the smog alert and pollution business and stuff ("don't say and stuff!") feels especially timely with what's going down nowadays. Stay stafe, uh, entire Pacific Northwest!!!!

It's a 'Dudes Rock' movie, yeah. Surprised they haven't re-teamed since; not necessarily a sequel or anything but another period piece detective flick would be welcome. This isn't my favourite Shane Black, nope, not by a long shot, but seeing as it doesn't feel like he's ever gonna recapture the old magic I'd sure rather watch him do this kind of self-pastiche than Iron Man 3 or whatever. Also, inadequately distributed voiceover is the sort of thing that usually irks me but both times w/this movie it was smooth sailing.

Best bits:

* Russell Crowe doing the biggest wettest sloppiest spit take.

* Ryan Gosling doing the thing from Abbott & Costello meet the Universal Horror Monsters.

* The dream sequence followed by Ryan Gosling's high-pitched scream as the car crashes.

* Gosling throwing his own gun out the window.

Bad bits:

* Russell Crowe gets top billing? Whah? I mean, we meet Healy first, sure, but that character does feel like way more of a second half to Ryan Gosling's character than the other way 'round.

* The Tarantino trunk shot when Gosling's daughter tries to sneak along w/them to the party. No salt in my sugar bowl, Shane! Get that outta here!

* The 'You will never be happy :)' thing is cookie cutter dumb dumb screenwriting. I hated it the first go around and I hated it watching it again this time.

We watched it on Saturday night.  It was nice that I really didn't remember much of it, other than the fact that they went to a big party.  I love so much about the movie.  The chemistry between Gosling and Crowe is great and the actress who played Gosling's daughter was awesome, too.  My wife wasn't laughing as much as me, but she also got a kick out of it.

I like the 'you will never be happy bit.  It's cliche but I wouldn't say it's bad.  Let's not be jaded.  And it makes sense for Crowe to get top bill, regardless of screen time.  He was the bigger, better established star at that time. I think their roles are fairly equal though.  

Favorite scene, either when Gosling is in the stall with his gun, magazine, cigarette, pants down.  Or the entire scene at the party is all pretty great. 

Honorable mention to when they ride the elevator up at the hotel, peek down the hall, then get back in; when they visit the burned up house with Chet and the kid on the bike; when Crowe and Gosling meet for the first time. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.