2 minutes ago, Jacen123 said:

I feel very conflicted about this statement.

Conflicted over whether it’s true or super true? How many preschoolers have you seen that aren’t half-naked with a cigarette in their mouth?

6 hours ago, Tank said:

Is he smoking? Also, why does no one in your wear a shirt?

That's actually popcorn, and because it's 6000 degrees down here all the time. 

6 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

that's clearly a vulcan child

IT'S GROWING OUT!!!

4 hours ago, monkeygirl said:

The Execution of Lady Jane Grey is my favorite oil painting. I want to take an oil class just to reproduce this.

Lol. I know you're being glib, and it's your love of the painting that makes you say this..but since this is what I do I'm gonna bite and give an explanation .

For a novice to get to the skill level to reproduce that painting accurately you're looking at 3-4 years  (or a few more depending on the level of natural affinity for drawing) of drawing/painting classes. And by classes I mean drawing/painting from life, and casts, for 6-8 hours a day every day in an atelier based system of either the Italian or Russian tradition.  If I could do it again, I would've gone through a more Russian academic drawing school cause I think their technique and attitude lends to an aesthetic which I prefer. But they only had Ateliers based on the Italian training method in London, which is where I trained. Point is it takes a fuck load of time and practice to get the technical ability to paint like that. Not saying it can't be done at all, in fact most people with a half good eye can learn to paint and draw to a very high standard.. IF they had the dedication to make it their thing and put the hours of training in. I could do a master copy of that painting to a fairly accurate reproduction, in oils, but it would take several months (depending on the size) of 8 hour days chipping away at it till it was complete. I am far from what I would consider a master but I think given the time I could do it.

I don't mean to lecture, but I sometimes get triggered  when people have the expectation (even in joking) that a few oil painting classes will have them painting like a master. When, like anything, it's a craft that can take an entire lifetime of constant work to achieve a high level of skill. And it's because I was an instructor at an academy like these that also had part time workshops that were marketed to the hobby artist. So when I ran some of those workshops I would frequently encounter people who's expectation around what they hoped to achieve was waaaaaay off base with the amount of time/money they were willing or able to dedicate to it.

Since I triggered myself and started taking things seriously here are some of my favourite paintings from some old and contemporary artists. The first is by an American/Russian guy I think called Alex Kanevsky. The second painting is by my teacher and mentor Luca Indraccolo, and the last is a famous painting by Solomon J Solomon called Ajax and Cassandramujer-sentada-AK.jpeg.935ee6bca2de8faec0f5a9eab13a454c.jpeg

9f5848df5340bd5b04ee5ffc510b3836_hd-719x1024.thumb.jpg.9c1536316d011fc62815c90f4a26d1ca.jpg

ajax-and-cassandra-solomon-j.-solomon.thumb.jpg.4e045c690b94c93e3e05cabc57b65d2f.jpg

Also really love the paintings of Phil Hale. He's done a lot of stuff for comic books as well as more traditional stuff, but this one in particular you nerds might like if you're unaware of him.

6e8c82a38e9615db07b6864820b1c90a.thumb.jpg.fe5bb7b86730f6b83ea54eed92f27eb8.jpg

3 minutes ago, Odine said:

Those are quite cool. I like the psychedelic nature to them. I want to bring more psychedelic and abstract elements to my own stuff 

Would it be OK to ask you to post some of your art?

Yeah man although Its weird to post it right after some of the artists I really look up to.. and my work doesn't have that many similarities to the more interesting guys. 

1603137607049_Towards-AlgizWEB.thumb.jpg.08100963b7b340a7c7f9aacf1c84372b.jpg

This painting I made a couple of years ago of my wife. 

And this is a little sketch from a while back of a MIG fighter pilot I made on aluminium board. 

625609452_Sergei(125)18x12_5cm.thumb.jpg.0852f5aa13dd294e4f4c7c84f08f4c64.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing more of my stuff, the easiest would be just to check my Instagram @arvidantonsen if you use it. My profile is on private at the minute because having a son and then the outbreak of covid has limited my painting time so I haven't been updating it very frequently. But it's got quite a bit of work on there if anyone is interested.

19 minutes ago, Odine said:

Yeah man although Its weird to post it right after some of the artists I really look up to.. and my work doesn't have that many similarities to the more interesting guys. 

1603137607049_Towards-AlgizWEB.thumb.jpg.08100963b7b340a7c7f9aacf1c84372b.jpg

This painting I made a couple of years ago of my wife. 

And this is a little sketch from a while back of a MIG fighter pilot I made on aluminium board. 

625609452_Sergei(125)18x12_5cm.thumb.jpg.0852f5aa13dd294e4f4c7c84f08f4c64.jpg

Odine, I can't see those for some reason.  But yeah, it is NOT weird to post your pics of your art.  I am very curious to see them! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.