Art.

Ms. Spam

2 minutes ago, Jacen123 said:

I feel very conflicted about this statement.

Conflicted over whether it’s true or super true? How many preschoolers have you seen that aren’t half-naked with a cigarette in their mouth?

4 hours ago, monkeygirl said:

The Execution of Lady Jane Grey is my favorite oil painting. I want to take an oil class just to reproduce this.

Lol. I know you're being glib, and it's your love of the painting that makes you say this..but since this is what I do I'm gonna bite and give an explanation .

For a novice to get to the skill level to reproduce that painting accurately you're looking at 3-4 years  (or a few more depending on the level of natural affinity for drawing) of drawing/painting classes. And by classes I mean drawing/painting from life, and casts, for 6-8 hours a day every day in an atelier based system of either the Italian or Russian tradition.  If I could do it again, I would've gone through a more Russian academic drawing school cause I think their technique and attitude lends to an aesthetic which I prefer. But they only had Ateliers based on the Italian training method in London, which is where I trained. Point is it takes a fuck load of time and practice to get the technical ability to paint like that. Not saying it can't be done at all, in fact most people with a half good eye can learn to paint and draw to a very high standard.. IF they had the dedication to make it their thing and put the hours of training in. I could do a master copy of that painting to a fairly accurate reproduction, in oils, but it would take several months (depending on the size) of 8 hour days chipping away at it till it was complete. I am far from what I would consider a master but I think given the time I could do it.

I don't mean to lecture, but I sometimes get triggered  when people have the expectation (even in joking) that a few oil painting classes will have them painting like a master. When, like anything, it's a craft that can take an entire lifetime of constant work to achieve a high level of skill. And it's because I was an instructor at an academy like these that also had part time workshops that were marketed to the hobby artist. So when I ran some of those workshops I would frequently encounter people who's expectation around what they hoped to achieve was waaaaaay off base with the amount of time/money they were willing or able to dedicate to it.

Since I triggered myself and started taking things seriously here are some of my favourite paintings from some old and contemporary artists. The first is by an American/Russian guy I think called Alex Kanevsky. The second painting is by my teacher and mentor Luca Indraccolo, and the last is a famous painting by Solomon J Solomon called Ajax and Cassandramujer-sentada-AK.jpeg.935ee6bca2de8faec0f5a9eab13a454c.jpeg

9f5848df5340bd5b04ee5ffc510b3836_hd-719x1024.thumb.jpg.9c1536316d011fc62815c90f4a26d1ca.jpg

ajax-and-cassandra-solomon-j.-solomon.thumb.jpg.4e045c690b94c93e3e05cabc57b65d2f.jpg

Yeah man although Its weird to post it right after some of the artists I really look up to.. and my work doesn't have that many similarities to the more interesting guys. 

1603137607049_Towards-AlgizWEB.thumb.jpg.08100963b7b340a7c7f9aacf1c84372b.jpg

This painting I made a couple of years ago of my wife. 

And this is a little sketch from a while back of a MIG fighter pilot I made on aluminium board. 

625609452_Sergei(125)18x12_5cm.thumb.jpg.0852f5aa13dd294e4f4c7c84f08f4c64.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing more of my stuff, the easiest would be just to check my Instagram @arvidantonsen if you use it. My profile is on private at the minute because having a son and then the outbreak of covid has limited my painting time so I haven't been updating it very frequently. But it's got quite a bit of work on there if anyone is interested.

19 minutes ago, Odine said:

Yeah man although Its weird to post it right after some of the artists I really look up to.. and my work doesn't have that many similarities to the more interesting guys. 

1603137607049_Towards-AlgizWEB.thumb.jpg.08100963b7b340a7c7f9aacf1c84372b.jpg

This painting I made a couple of years ago of my wife. 

And this is a little sketch from a while back of a MIG fighter pilot I made on aluminium board. 

625609452_Sergei(125)18x12_5cm.thumb.jpg.0852f5aa13dd294e4f4c7c84f08f4c64.jpg

Odine, I can't see those for some reason.  But yeah, it is NOT weird to post your pics of your art.  I am very curious to see them! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.