I've been amusing myself in the Archives...

Chalcedony

...and not a single topic is worth saving.

post-3342-0-51963400-1598763943_thumb.jpg

Palpy, what are you doing in my thread?? Get out of here, I was only kidding! Jeezaloo, what a weirdo.

Anyway, some stuff is pretty funny, especially nearly anything Thunderdroid and The Maker ever wrote. (What ever happened to them, anyway?) There are threads and posts there that I made that I have NO memory of writing! So many years have gone by, so much has happened, and the people who were kids then have kids of their own now. It's like rummaging around in a virtual attic in there. A few things, IMO, are worth hanging onto. Other stuff...yeah, not so much.

I have always disliked the archives, but youre right about how great Thunderdroid and The Maker are. The Maker has a Facebook, but that info is probably not enticing because Facebook. There used to be threads in the archives started by me, but I made sure to delete most of them before I stepped down from being Cantina mod like nineteen years ago. lol Holy shit.

Well over 90% of it wasnt saved, and the stuff that was saved wasnt saved by popular acclaim, but because someone asked for it. Chances are someone who left the board decades ago.

More recently, I moved a bunch of crap into the archives just because I didnt want people to go crazy about some stupid thread from 2013 being forgotten.

There are maybe a dozen threads worth keeping.

My suggestion is that we go about it in the opposite direction: figure out what people want to keep, move it back into the active board, and then nuke the rest.

I don't think and have never thought that everything that has ever been posted to Nightly was saved in the archives. I do think that everything that was saved has been saved in the Archives ... (???) ... I feel like I kind of understand how and what the Archives are.

I don't think deleting everything but a dozen threads and ones people here actively would want to continue posting in is a great solution!

I think that one of the times I spoke up about this in the past I mentioned password protecting them or hiding them or making them inaccessible to all but administrators. I understand that by talking about this again and again the best possible outcome I'm likely to receive is something like : "The Archives have been sent away to live on a farm upstate. There's lots of room for them to run around, plenty of fresh air, they're happy, they're not in pain anymore. No, you can't go and visit." I get it! Oh well!

I dont think theyre likely to get deleted, but my point wasnt that not everything was saved, but that the shit that was saved was because people who havent been around in 15+ years thought their crap was so funny and clever that it needed to last. And it wasnt either of those things, and it still managed to outlast the people who needed to have it saved.

Ya know which archives I actually enjoy from time to time? The Time Capsule ones we used to do at the beginning of every year. And the few "life update" ones where we all talked about what was going on in our lives. Those were generally free of in-jokes and other shit that aged horribly, but also full of real life highs and lows and it's kinda nice to see how much we've changed and grown.

I tried to do the time capsule this past year but nobody bit. And this is the year that would have been the best to see where people were in January versus December.

Thats why it wouldve been great. Although my main thing wouldve been to stay alive, and I found out that I am one of the unlucky portion of the population to have not effing developed Covid antibodies so I could still be wrong.

I tried to do the time capsule this past year but nobody bit. And this is the year that would have been the best to see where people were in January versus December.

I feel like I have been inside a personal time capsule since January.

Ive been kicked down by life so many times that my very hopeful posts started to depress me pretty hard at the end of the year, and the public follow up was too hard to stomach, so I just stopped participating in general.

Hi! I know what the Archives are! I know they're stupid! I assume pretty much everyone else here @ Nightly.net understands those two salient facts as well! I still don't want the Archives to be deleted. Thank you!

V. optimistic to assume even one person among all of us will still be alive come December!

At least half that **** doesn't even make sense anymore. A decade plus out of context makes a lot of things meaningless. Especially with broken links, aliases, pictures that don't appear, etc.

I was thinking the same thing. Almost no images show up anymore, none of the links work, in-jokes that made sense 10+ years ago are kind of lame now, political humor is outdated. Still some good stuff in there, but definitely not every topic deserves to be saved forever, IMO. If people really want to preserve something, they can do screen shots or copy-paste into a Word document or something. Then we'll all have a little something to remind us of Nightly, when we're sitting around in the Happy Acres Home for the Permanently Baffled.

One of the things I struggle with is the idea of these types of mediums just hanging around forever, figuratively. How something said seventeen years ago comes back to haunt a grown, matured person who is just out there in a vibe with their world all chill and then boom. As a culture it feels as though we are shackling ourselves with digital restraints, electronic ghosts, skeletons made of ones and zeroes. Some people might just have what was supposed to be humorous rants dangling about, others what could be more serious things, most things probably out there with no context what so ever, and yet we voluntarily keep the noose around our necks just waiting for someone to pull it taut.

Other generations got to laugh, lark about thru their youth. They have their memories of the good and the bad, their successes and their mistakes. They might even have an odd time capsule somewhere or a silly home video fragment. Our generation however and all that follow will seemingly never be able to out live their youth. Maybe this is ironic, this situation created by the generation that used to happily sing that they dont wanna grow up. In a way, in this way, maybe we never have grown up or even can. Time capsule or time travel? With this medium my grown son can almost interact with myself from a day when I was younger than he is now. Is that good? I have no answer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.