Pondering: What is your question of the universe?

Zathras

So here's my question, perhaps no answer can be found. If a person had an infinite life span, and was able to know all that there is to know from a human perspective living on our Earth from its inception to present day, of absolute political ideology, an absolute understanding of how government acts and reacts and governments' motives for doing so, the motives of human mentality, what balance is the right balance between individuality and collectivism, and was free the trappings of passion and warfare, had struck the perfect balance of emotion and logic,had a command of both human intellect as well as human heart and emotive capability, has a complete understanding of the absolute ethics of how business is conducted, an understanding of climate and Earth's environment and its causes and the impact of human activity on said environment, an understanding of cosmology and how relative to the Cosmos and its indifference to our suffering really is, an understanding of history from multiple sides throughout all of humanity, an understanding of how cultures have progressed and an historical perspective as to each cultures' world view and how it came to be, would such a judgement of such a being find that humanity as a whole is worthy to continue to exist, or would it find we must be exterminated for the greater good of the universe?

I am not sure I would want to know the answer, because it quite possibly would be that we are not worthy to continue.

What would you ask the universe?

I thought I was the king of run on sentences. I bequeath my crown to you, good sir.

Your proposal appears to create what is akin to a god. That god then is tasked with deciding the fate of humanity. I believe that us answering what that gods conclusion would be is impossible given our perspective is limited in relation to that god.

I can answer what my personal instinct is, which is just to leave it all alone. Im not going to kick someones sand castle just because I think it looks stupid.

I think those are a bunch of very human-specific questions, and any being with that level of consciousness and knowledge of the universe as a whole would be so outside the scope of humanity that those questions woudn't even be of interest.

I think those are a bunch of very human-specific questions, and any being with that level of consciousness and knowledge of the universe as a whole would be so outside the scope of humanity that those questions woudn't even be of interest.

Intentional on my part, as my way of knowing is limited to being a human. For example, religion likes to state that humanity is created in the image of God. Why is that an absolute truth for religion? How do we know that hermit crabs or insects for that matter, aren't equally created in the image of God?

Religions that make that claim generally have a religious text that states that explicitly humans are created in God's image and NOT other creatures. So that's where that comes from. It's a bit of a circular explanation when you get into it.

What are the winning lottery numbers for the next drawing?

If I am king of run on sentences, then you are the king of cutting the Gordian Knot!

I know my priorities.

This reminds me of the problem of evil. People sometimes argue that a good god wouldn't allow such and such to happen in the world, but in doing so those individuals are presupposing that they they know what an infinitely good, infinitely intelligent being would do. Once we start talking about a being possessing infinite amounts of those qualities, we're talking about something that lies outside the realm of what is testable and measurable.

Sorry! This question was already resolved to my satisfaction over a 2½ year period roughly ~1850 years ago. It would have been better for man to have never been created! Hope this helps!

What would you ask the universe?

I have no questions for the universe in and of itself. It's too big to offer any kind of answer in its totality. I mostly address my questions to just the little bits & pieces of it that are embodied as 'Google' or 'books' or 'people' or 'that doggie in the window'. How much is that doggie in the window? I do hope that doggie is for sale!

I would ask the universe what the real time travel rules are. We've seen all sorts of different rules in sci-fi, but what would really be the result of me going into the past and changing something? Would I create an alternate timeline that exist independently from my own? And if so, what would happen when traveled back to my own time? Will I return to the timeline that I knew or the alternate one? Or maybe I'll discover that I can't change history at all, because my actions were already part of history? Maybe my actions only bring about the past as I already knew it. I really want to know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.