What movie could have ended in 10 minutes if the main character was smarter?

Final Destination 3 was one of the better ones. Is that on the DVD? I think I might have that one.

Yes thats right - an extra feature on the dvd. Well worth having a go! Kind of works like that Black Mirror episode with the on screen prompts (2 choices) at various key stages of the film, but really is just a creative way of utilising the unused footage / deleted scenes.

They are good fun - easy watching! Think there were 4 or 5 films in total.

I enjoyed all of the Final Destinations, too. I think I saw the first one before 3 came out on DVD, but I loved being able to alter the flow of the movie with the choices. I loved the choose your own adventure books growing up, so it was really cool getting that in a movie. Strangely, though, I haven't watched the Black Mirror movie even though I love the style and have enjoyed most episodes of Black Mirror.

With you there Jacen! Loved those books when I was a lad. I actually repurchased one recently on Amazon to have a little fun in lockdown!

I would recommend that Black Mirror episode (Bandersnatch its called) - I think you will enjoy based on what you said above. I think they filmed something like 5 hours of material for a programme that would normally run for 45 mins. Again loads of variations on run time of your chosen version of the story.

The Godfather: The Don takes Sollozzo's deal.

But Vito didn't take it because he didn't want to get into the drug trade (even gangsters have a code!) or compromise his government and judicial resources by wasting them on drug cases. Vito sent Brassi to find out what Sollozzo was up to, presumably to decide to hit him or not, but the plan failed. It was either that, or concede, which would have been weakness on Vito's part, and he wasn't going to do that, either.

The tragedy is of all of Vito's sons, Michael was the only one who was able to succeed Vito. Sonny was too much of a hot head, Tom Hagan was a peace time consulari and not Italian, and of course Fredo was too dumb.

To be fair, a lot of these, including mine, dont actually involve the main character being stupid. Just different decisions they could have made.

But Ill still say that if someone offers me a pill that will show me reality, I am saying no.

True. Also, blue pill me all the way! Especially after 2020. LOL

And not a criticism on my part at all, Choc. :)

I am just saying in that particular case, I am not sure Vito had any other choice than the one he made. That is, unless he threw his scruples (or at least as much as a gangster would have) out the window.

If you want to go for The Godfather with the main character, Michael wanted to go straight so his stupid decision was to go back to his family to begin with.

The Godfather: The Don takes Sollozzo's deal.

But Vito didn't take it because he didn't want to get into the drug trade (even gangsters have a code!) or compromise his government and judicial resources by wasting them on drug cases. Vito sent Brassi to find out what Sollozzo was up to, presumably to decide to hit him or not, but the plan failed. It was either that, or concede, which would have been weakness on Vito's part, and he wasn't going to do that, either.

The tragedy is of all of Vito's sons, Michael was the only one who was able to succeed Vito. Sonny was too much of a hot head, Tom Hagan was a peace time consulari and not Italian, and of course Fredo was too dumb.

If Sollozzo hadn't attempted to kill Vito then Michael would never have joined the family business. It wasn't until after his father's near death and visiting him in the hospital, where he prevented another attempt, did Michael make the decision to join the family business.

As for whether the decision was right on Vito's part. Even Hagen knew it was the right call to take the deal. The Don had slipped, as Sollozzo pointed out. Sending Luca to try to infiltrate Sollozzo's operation is evidence he had slipped. It was too obvious a ploy which was seen through immediately.

Vito may have lost some of his political clout in the short term had he agreed to Sollozzo's deal but in the end money talks and he would have had a whole lot more of it to grease some palms to quell people's objections to the drug trade. In the end his decision lead to him nearly being killed, his oldest son being killed, his youngest son joining the family (which Vito didn't want), his son in law betraying him and being killed, one of his top lieutenants turning on his family.

If Sollozzo hadn't attempted to kill Vito then Michael would never have joined the family business. It wasn't until after his father's near death and visiting him in the hospital, where he prevented another attempt, did Michael make the decision to join the family business.

As for whether the decision was right on Vito's part. Even Hagen knew it was the right call to take the deal. The Don had slipped, as Sollozzo pointed out. Sending Luca to try to infiltrate Sollozzo's operation is evidence he had slipped. It was too obvious a ploy which was seen through immediately.

Vito may have lost some of his political clout in the short term had he agreed to Sollozzo's deal but in the end money talks and he would have had a whole lot more of it to grease some palms to quell people's objections to the drug trade. In the end his decision lead to him nearly being killed, his oldest son being killed, his youngest son joining the family (which Vito didn't want), his son in law betraying him and being killed, one of his top lieutenants turning on his family.

Sollozo did push Michael in that direction, but I always felt Michael had darkness in him, at least by the time of the beginning of the first movie. Each event just made him darker. But I get your point there.

Sure, I agree, had Vito accepted Sollozo's offer and shared his connections, in the short term, it may have avoided the events of GF1. But, Sollozo was a snake and everything he was doing was to box Vito into a corner. Even if Vito took the offer, I think (based on Sollozo's character as presented), he would have eventually found a way to outmaneuver Vito, to dethrone him, maybe even kill him.

In short, I think Vito was in a no win scenario. I guess you could say Vito's fatal flaw was being old fashioned and sentimental, and not wanting to accept the gangster world was very different from when he started.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.