Your 4-legged family

Chalcedony

I know that Tami is surrounded by 15 or 20 cats by now, but what about the rest of you? What pets do you share your homes and hearts with?

Until recently, I had these two lovely cats. That's Elvira on the left and Stormy on the right, waiting for second breakfast. Sadly, though, Stormy lost his battle with lymphatic cancer, and on July 26, I had to make the painful decision to send him to the Rainbow Bridge. I had him cremated, and he now resides in a little wooden box. It's hard to believe that my beautiful boy, once so plump and full of life, could be reduced to a few ounces of gray ash. I suppose there is some kind of commentary on life and destiny in there somewhere.

All I know is that I miss my boy, and hope to get another kitten soon. This apartment doesn't feel the same without him. Elvira is bored, and constantly demands attention from me. She will be 11 years old on Halloween, but still plays like a kitten, herself, so I think a new companion will be good for both of us.

post-3342-0-58218700-1598394329_thumb.jpg

Right now, three cats - a 16yo, a 12yo, and a 8yo.

We were supposed to take 3 feral kittens in at 5pm tonight, but they escaped their carrier and refused to go to the vet this morning, so we're trying again tomorrow. They were born in May, and they're getting fixed, so they're not tiny kittens so much as like cat kids.

My sister and her boyfriend live in my basement and they have an American Pit Bull. He's afraid of the cats, so he really doesn't like hanging out upstairs, so it's not like *I* have a dog.

I have 3 cats, one tortie, one semi-feral tabbie, and a long-hair chonker who loves to whinge and try and play with the other two but they hate him and will hiss and attack when he tries to play. Poor bastard.

I have a cat called Bootsy. She's nuts. She's an Essex road cat, so I imagine she has a thick cockney chav accent to other cats.

As someone from South London, nah bruv. Essex ain't Cockney. Do one. Or, as they say norf of the border, git tae fook.

I have 3 cats, one tortie, one semi-feral tabbie, and a long-hair chonker who loves to whinge and try and play with the other two but they hate him and will hiss and attack when he tries to play. Poor bastard.

I have a cat called Bootsy. She's nuts. She's an Essex road cat, so I imagine she has a thick cockney chav accent to other cats.

As someone from South London, nah bruv. Essex ain't Cockney. Do one. Or, as they say norf of the border, git tae fook.

I hear you, but there are plenty of people swaggering around Essex Rd (Highbury/Islington) with real and effected cockney accents. I imagine my cat would like to think she's a geez.

And if we really want to get into it, to be true Cockney you gotta be able to hear the Bow bells toll, innit.

We had a dog for years, that we inherited when my father-in-law died, and we were in the best position to help him. Then, when our third kid was born my mother-in-law decided it would be better for him to go live with her, because she could give him more attention. Its hard to take care of a dog and three kids 5 and under. Especially because he was half-Australian shepherd, which means hes a good sized dog.

Well, he was getting up there (13ish) and started having really bad breathing problems, so my mother-in-law had to put him down recently. The kids were pretty sad that they didnt get to say goodbye, and they want us to get a pet, but we just dont have it in us to care for an animal right now, and the kids arent old enough to be trustworthy taking care of one.

Maybe well eventually get a hamster.

Icy: Sam and Bob are so pretty! I love their fluffy tails!

Brando: If you get any kind of rodent for a pet, be aware that they love to burrow, and are mostly nocturnal. This means that they will be awake all night, scratching and digging and moving things around and chewing constantly. Gerbils, especially, seem to love making ALL the noise. I had a pet rat for awhile, years ago, and she wasn't as noisy at night. The gerbils I had as a kid kept me awake with their constant attempts at digging a hole through the aquarium.

Captainbleh: I see that Izzy has perfected the art of sleeping on things with maximum cuteness.

Soooo, Sam and Bob are three month old ferals. Bob was the first to try to get out the window at about 2am, freak out when he realized he couldnt, and find a place to hide. Sam did the same a couple of hours later, but hes a talker, so he did it alternating yelling at me and crying. Now theyre both hiding under my dresser.

This is not an adoption so much as a project.

I wish I could get all five of mine in a pic together. UNPOSSIBLE. So here are the boys.

84396176_4113281555364004_95958708653549

The black one is Pootapotamus. He's best boy and a gift. He was mauled by a dog and still loves unconditionally. He has a scar and a hole in his left ear and is missing a fang and one is broken. He was part of the TNR colony I feed and just moved in like it was nothing.

The yellow boy on the right is Schmutz. He was living in the house for 2 weeks before I realized my yellow boy population had increased. I was putting down a food bowl for the house cats to eat and realized I was seeing double. I had to touch them to be sure. Schmutz is also part of the outdoor colony I had fed and was super shy but always ready for pets and treats but hissy. He followed me around for weeks when he was a kitten but wouldn't let me get close until I brought treats. Then he was gone for two weeks until I realized he was living secretly in the house and had slipped in maybe one day while the door was opened. He's still slightly feral and doesn't like to be picked up.

Bob was found on the side of a busy highway as a kitten. He screamed at me from under the Queen Ann chair in the living room for days after I brought him home as a baby kitten. His belly was full of worms and it took forever to rid him of the worms but now he's my sweet lover boy who bites the schnicklefritz out of you. He loves sinks. He loves running water. He loves tumping water bowls over. He likes peeing on electric sockets. He lives to sleep in the sun spot on the bed. I tell his story about how I got him all the time. How I was getting off work at 12:30 AM in the morning and just happened to see this little thing step down off a curb and then back up. I then parked my car in the middle of a street with my hazards on while I waved my arms around trying to scare him back to the grassy median of a five lane highway to catch him. He climbed up on my shoulders and screamed all the way home, he screamed while he ate kibble. He screamed while he hid under a chair. He screamed at the vet the next day. He has the quietest purr and he is not the talker any more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.