How many states have you been to? And which ones?

Odine

I've only been to California and New York. I liked them both for different reasons but could only see myself living in New York. Not that it would be a possibility anyhow.

What would be your favourite and least favourite state and why?

Has anyone been to Nebraska, and is it weird cause it's the the central most one? Or is the south weirder?

Discuss

I'm only at 10/50 and it sucks. Haven't had a new one since 2011.

Favorite is definitely California, which is why I live here. Least has to be Texas.

In order:

1. California

2. Arizona

3. Nevada

4. Illinois

5. Wisconsin

6. New York

7. Connecitcut

8. Texas

9. Georgia

10. Florida

EDIT: since people have started adding countries, Ive been to Mexico, Canada, and Argentina.

Alla the southern ones. California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah but only a tiny tip, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Floriduh, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Indiana and Illinois.

I will count the ones I have lived in, visited, stayed overnight in, etc, but not ones I have just changed planes or drove through without stopping to do more than fill up gas, eat, or use the restroom in.

1. Massachusetts
  2. New York
  3. New Jersey
  4. Pennsylvania
  5. Delaware
  6. Maryland
  7. Virginia
  8. West Virginia
  9. North Carolina
  10. Florida
  11. Ohio
  12. Illinois
  13. Arkansas
  14. Louisiana
  15. Texas
  16. Colorado
  17. New Mexico
  18. Utah
  19. California
  20. Washington
  21. Alaska
  22. Hawaii
  23. (Bonus) Washington, DC
  24. (Bonus) Puerto Rico

If I included states I have driven through or changed planes in, I would add the rest of the south east and Oklahoma.

Lived in:

Washington

Oregon

California

Stayed in:

New York

Massachusetts

Minnesota

Iowa

Nevada

New Mexico

Illinois

Florida

Hawaii

Arizona

Travelled through:

Mississippi

Missouri

Wisconsin

New Jersey

Do airport layovers count? If so:

Texas

Lousiana

Bonus places:

Jamaica

Belize

The UK

France

Spain

Not many:

Indiana

Ohio (well, I drove the length of it, and stopped at a few bathrooms and coffee shops)

Illinois

Pennsylvania

Massachusetts (I just spelled that correctly first go, yay me!)

Texas

Louisiana

And I kind of waved at upstate New York from the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, but I don't think that counts...

If we add in countries, I've been to Canada and Greece. That looks like Canada Geese.

I've only been to California and New York. I liked them both for different reasons but could only see myself living in New York. Not that it would be a possibility anyhow.

What would be your favourite and least favourite state and why?

Has anyone been to Nebraska, and is it weird cause it's the the central most one? Or is the south weirder?

Discuss

I have yet to find a state I would prefer over Michigan (not like I've been to so many), but my favorite city is New Orleans, for sure.

My sister served in Americorp in Wyoming, Arizona, and Mississippi, and she said the people in Wyoming were WAY weirder than anywhere else. But as a midwesterner myself, I can tell you that midwesterners in general are very nice, hospitable people, although the nice doesn't always go down all the way. Southern people are also very nice, hospitable people, but, like, in a different way. Midwesterners are more reserved and stripped-down about it, southerners live by their rules and manners.

You want weird, go to Alaska. Torch excluded, of course. But there are some very, very independent people up there.

1. Arizona

2. New Mexico

3. California

4. Nevada

5. Utah

6. Colorado

7. Texas

8. Oklahoma

9. Arkansas

10. Georgia

12. Washington DC

13. Maryland

14. Virginia

15. New Jersey

16. New York

17. Pennsylvania

18. Alaska

19. Hawaii

One day, I would like to visit the rest of the states at least once in my life. I've been talking about doing an Amtrack trip for years, , but haven't yet.

Other countries I have been too are not many.

1. Mexico

2. South Korea

3. Japan (lay over at Yakota Air Base)

I want to travel to Japan for a real visit, then England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, even if it is just a couple guided tours. I'd also love to see Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand, and maybe even top tier cities in China. If I ever get an opportunity to travel to some other country I haven't thought of , I think that would also be awesome.

That is one regret I have is not travelling overseas as much as I could have. But when you work a state job and have family to help take care of, that happens I suppose.

1-Massachussetts

2-Rhode Island

3-Connecticut

4-New York

5-New Jersey

6-Pennsylvania

7-Delaware

8-Maryland

9-Virginia

10-North Carolina

11-South Carolina

12-Georgia

13-Florida

14-Ohio

15-Indiana

16-Illinois

17-Wisconsin

18-Michigan

19-Alabama

20-Mississippi

21-Louisiana

22-West Virginia

23-Kentucky

24-Tennessee

25-Missourri

26-Arkansas

27-California

28-Nevada

Foreign countries

Canada (Ontario and Quebec)

Mexico

Jamaica

Grand Cayman

Honduras

Aruba

Wow some of you have seen lots of states!!

Since people are adding countries so will I.

UK (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales)

France

Germany

Norway

Denmark

Austria

Switzerland

Spain

USA

Canada

New Zealand

Australia

Fiji

Samoa

Indonesia

Singapore

Still really really want to see Japan. But think my days of traveling may be limited.

You are well-traveled, Odine. I'm almost jealous :)

Europe is (or was) pretty cheap to get to from the UK. Return flights to most places can be under a couple hundred quid. When I went to Spain I got a deal where the ticket was only £1 but still had to pay departure tax so it was like £30 return. Ridiculous.

Getting to the Pacific Islands and south east Asia from New Zealand (where I was living at the time) are the most affordable travel destinations (except for going to Australia).

But yeah, I'm very lucky *privileged* to have been to the places I have.

States actually visited for a significant amount of time:

Texas

Louisiana

Mississippi

Alabama

Florida

Georgia

New Mexico

Colorado

California

Washington

Massachusetts

States "been to" for brief periods of time (like layovers):

Rhode Island

Illinois

Arizona

Countries visited:

Mexico

Jamaica

Grand Cayman

To make it easier, the states I've NOT been to:

Alaska

Washington

Oregon

Idaho

Delaware

Rhode Island

New Jersey

New Hampshire

Vermont

Maine

Favorite place is probably California. Spent five months out there waaaaaaay back in '99.

Least favorite is probably Florida. You all know why.

States I have lived in...ranked:

1. Colorado -I am in Denver but my goal is to get into a mountain town after this school year.

2. Florida--a lot of people **** on Florida for legitimate reasons, but there are some really awesome spots on the coasts

3. Missouri--Kansas City is extraordinarily underrated.

4. Oklahoma- Tulsa It's better than you think.

5. Texas (Spring, Texas..a suburb of Houston). It was fine.

6. Kansas can die in a ****ing fire.

I have been to almost all of the lower 48. Most overrated...Napa Valley. Most underrated: San Fran---everyone talks about how dirty it is and all that...but I loved it.

Most overrated...Napa Valley.

I'm assuming you frequented the wineries. I was not impressed with Napa Valley. Good wine, but the attitude was ponderous and tiresome. Bunch of cork sniffing snobs worried about status. I liked Paso Robles 100000 times better. People were more down to Earth, and wine is just as good.

I'm assuming you frequented the wineries. I was not impressed with Napa Valley. Good wine, but the attitude was ponderous and tiresome. Bunch of cork sniffing snobs worried about status. I liked Paso Robles 100000 times better. People were more down to Earth, and wine is just as good.

I am not a wine guy...most any cheap, domestic light beer is my favorite. I honestly didn't even think it was that pretentious.

I disliked it because the town shut down at like 6PM. I love going out and staying up drinking and meeting a variety of people on trips. This actually is my favorite part of vacations!

The other part is that we signed up for a few tastings and some places were so stingey with the wine. For example, we went to Cakebread and it was like $75/ each and we tasted like 4 wines and each one had maybe 2 sips. That being said, one place stood out. Frog's Leap was the same price but got me wasted and had a meat and cheese trays and had an awesome tour. Guess which winery we ended up buying a ****load of wine from?

I am not a wine guy...most any cheap, domestic light beer is my favorite. I honestly didn't even think it was that pretentious.

I disliked it because the town shut down at like 6PM. I love going out and staying up drinking and meeting a variety of people on trips. This actually is my favorite part of vacations!

The other part is that we signed up for a few tastings and some places were so stingey with the wine. For example, we went to Cakebread and it was like $75/ each and we tasted like 4 wines and each one had maybe 2 sips. That being said, one place stood out. Frog's Leap was the same price but got me wasted and had a meat and cheese trays and had an awesome tour. Guess which winery we ended up buying a ****load of wine from?

Ha! I wish wineries would figure this out. When you aren't stingy and wine and dine, people will spend a ton of money. We paid $25 each for a "premium" tasting at one and wished we had done the $5 tasting that they were mocking.

Lived:

Illinois

Florida

Washington

Visited:

Nebraska (a lot)

Iowa

Indiana

Michigan

Wisconsin

Ohio

Georgia

North Carolina

South Carolina

Alabama

Texas

Colorado

Oregon

California

Nevada

Arizona

Utah (this barely counts because it was one night in a hotel)

Hawaii

Missouri

Driven through, may have stopped for gas or a bathroom break:

Kentucky

Tennessee

Idaho

Kansas

Airport connection:

New Jersey

Minnesota

Washington D.C. (probably isn't even in DC)

Louisiana

I'm no wine connoisseur either, but I enjoy wine and wineries/tasting rooms from time to time. I usually go to the ones in my state, which are not considered all that high brow compared to Napa Valley, but you know I have a great time, anyway. I don't like pretentious people, snobs, or braggarts, and that is all I found in Napa. But I will take a brew pub with a good IPA over all that, any day.

Y'all know breweries and distilleries host tours and tastings too, right?

I mean, my parents took me regularly to a local winery for tastings when I was in middle and high school - as long as my parents were there, the owners were believers in starting the palate out early. I'm no stranger to wine tasting.

But the most fun I've ever had is on distillery tours and tastings. All the learning and consuming with far more enthusiasm and far less pretension from the hosts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.