Playing an instrument

Does anyone here play anything? I always wanted to play, but never did. I had a guitar but I never took lessons and wasnt good enough to teach myself, so I got rid of it. Christmas 2018 I got a keyboard and started using an app, and learned a bit but then got sick and life went to hell and I stopped. Finally set it back up and recorded myself playing and singing a song and Im not good, but I was just happy that it sounded like a real song.

Anyone else play or sing or do anything?

I also recently found Tangents CD of electronica music. I wonder if hes still making music down in Atlanta? Anybody know?

I tried learning electric guitar and played for a few years, but it has been at least 3 years since I practiced with any kind of regularity, and at least 9 months since I touched a guitar, other than to move it out of the way to get something else. I never was any good at it, and I only read tab, not real music, and I am tone def, so that limits me right there. I managed to be able to play some riffs of songs, mostly simple stuff like Nirvana or Black Sabbath, but I forgot all of those songs I did learn to play. I can improvise some lead, but mostly stuff I make up on the fly, which usually just pisses the cat off.

I play(played?) the trumpet from 4th grade in various school-related bands all the way through my first year of grad school. I made a lot of friends in high school and college through band, especially marching band (and pep band in college). I hated dropping playing in the band band in grad school, but it met at night and grad school is all-consuming, so I just had to do it. Granted, I also just wanted to play while almost all of the band was undergrads using it to purely socialize and didn't take it seriously.

I've thought about trying to joining a community band now, but I'd need to practice a bunch first since it has been many years since I really played now and I also really don't know that I have the time anymore. Unfortunately, though, it's just so hard to get myself to play without a group to make me do it.

I played bass and keyboards in a terrible goth/industrial band in college. I was good enough to get basic notes, chords, staying in key-- etc. But real music theory is like nuclear science to me.

I do have a electronic music workstation and software. I make weird little 80s horror movie soundtrack type songs for fun all the time. I decided this is a hobby for just myself that I won't try and do anything with or share.

I used to play the trumpet when I was in school. I was in the school orchestra, as well as two different youth orchestras in my town, one of which was supposed to be quite famous (I performed at a famous local venue a whole bunch of times), but I got sick of how much of my time it took up, and ended up quitting it completely just before I left for university and I haven't picked up a trumpet since. Probably wouldn't last five minutes if I tried to play again, lip stamina is a real thing for brass players, and was another reason I stopped playing (the third big one being that I just was nowhere near as good as my peers - despite being the first trumpet in both orchestras, I was there almost purely because of seniority and experience as I was one of the oldest kids in the orchestra). I always wanted to play bass, but never got around to it. Probably won't, it's just one of those things, and I'll always envy people who can just pick up an instrument and play something amazing, despite knowing full well that I'm seeing the product of years and years of practice backed by a lot of skill, passion, and rhythm.

I played piano a little as a kid. My grandmother was an amazing player with a M.A. in music who just taught lessons in a tiny rural town. So of course I wanted to be just like grandma and did about 2 years of lessons and was not all that good. I was more interested in sports than practicing piano. I still have my piano for my kids to plunk on. If anything, this might be a good year to teach them. I'm really good at music theory but don't quite have the finger talent (that's what she said).

In high school, I discovered choir and for some reason that was easier to practice and commit to. I'm really good at matching pitch, kind of mediocre at choreography so I was always in like the JV show choir at a really talented school. We have a few alumni from my time who are legit opera singers.

My daughter wanted to learn the ukulele and take lessons, and it was so foreign to me that I couldn't help at all. Her school requires you either join choir or learn an instrument in middle school, I'm going to encourage her to do choir. She has a nice voice and is a good performer (very emphatic). I'm not sure she has the patience to learn an instrument, honestly.

Play guitar, although I haven't picked mine up ina while. I'll be rusty as hell but it's like riding a bike. I've been able to play since I was 12. I'm not a shredder or anything, but like everything, given enough practice and commitment I could get quite good again. I used to play in a band in New Zealand that did fairly well for the underground there, and in a different band in London that was as fun but didn't do as well. Mostly because of poor work ethic. I can sing with reasonable competence and pretty accurate pitch, and I definitely sing now more than I play guitar. Always singing in the house and to my kid and along to music.

I can plonk on the piano sometimes but with very little competency again, practice would be all it takes.

I really want to get a 12 string acoustic guitar. My dad had one when I was growing up and I loved the rich sound it used to make. At the minute I only have an electric guitar and a big **** off amp and cabinet that is incapable of playing quiet, so it's kind of made playing at home impossible. So an acoustic 12 string would be a dream.

I took piano lessons from age 12 to 17. I have excellent pitch and an excellent ear and even with keyboard typing I have to look at what my hands are doing or my brain short-circuits. So while I could read music, making the piano do what the music says just wasnt my thing. I cant play anymore. Whenever I find myself at a jam-along I either just get the musicians high and call that my contribution, or I grab a rattle or a tambourine and enjoy from the corner.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.