Who else could have voiced Darth Vader during the OT, if JEJ didn't?

Zathras

So, here is a what if scenario. Whom do you think could have pulled off voicing Darth Vader during the OT had James Earl Jones not done it? Of course, I am talking about actors or voice actors, who were around at the time, but your list need not be limited to that.

Here are my picks, no particular order:

1. Orson Welles (and I think he actually auditioned at one point)

2. Peter Cullen (best known as Optimus Prime's voice)

3. John Rhys-Davies (Gimli, Indiana Jones)

4. Christopher Lee (Dracula, Count Dooku)

5. Michael Ansara (best known by many for Kang in Star Trek TOS)

6. Marlon Brando

runners up who might have been a little too young at the time, but were around

1. Keith David

2. Avery Brooks

I dont think you can talk villain voice actors without Frank Welker.

A completely different version by Christopher Collins (Cobra Commander / Starscream / many others) wouldve been interesting.

Yeah, Marlon Brando and Christopher Lee (Lucas wanted Lee for Tarkin, but he turned it down) for that matter, would have been too expensive. But Marlon would have been great at it. Lee could have voiced and played Vader in the suit, as well, but would have been a waste not seeing his face.

Christopher Lee for sure. Not very familiar off hand with other actors of that era, particularly with the vocal chops. Maybe Ian McKellen? Would need processing and effects on his voice though

Yeah I think Ian McKellen could have pulled it off. Although older by that point, he was chilling in Apt Pupil.

Another guy who ended up in a Star Wars film later on that would have been another possible good choice is Max Von Sydow. The fact his talent was wasted and mishandled in TFA was almost criminal. They could have used him instead of Snoke.

Brenda Vaccaro

Alan Rickman

my friends Dave Elvin and Joey Pepin; you've heard them both but nothing I could tell you about would lead you to think they'd have been good for the part. They each have the ability to become entirely different people, depending on the script.

Don La Fontaine ; the guys who coined the movie trailer phrase "In a world where....."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.