Job hunting in the time of Covid

Guest Brando

Months later, I got an offer. It’s a pay cut but I’d rather take a pay cut and not be miserable. And this is getting into a company I want to join.

Thanks! With my current job, I was pretty much maxed out on where I could go. My current boss has poisoned my career and was trying to fire me, so starting over in a company with lots of room for growth is fine.  And I can apply for promotions in 6 months. So I can spend 6 months kicking ass and then use that to catapult into something different.

We've had some ups and downs in the last year too.

My wife got let go from her job of almost fifteen years back around May.   Museum attendance plummeted, and attendance for their camps basically went to zero overnight.  It sucks, but she'd in theory be one of the first back if things ever pick back up enough.  I don't think anyone is counting on that though.

I've heard firsthand from her how tough it is.  For the places that have money to hire, it's definitely a buyer's market because there are so many mid-career professionals looking for work who got cut this last year.  Some remote work is available, but when you work in PR for an organization like she did, you really have to be on the ground to really make it work.

In good news though, we've both made it through a few rounds in the process for civil servant jobs at KSC in Florida.  I basically just applied this time around to get my name in the hat for when things really pick up in the upcoming years.  I really want to be down there when Artemis gets going.  But we'll see.  The way things are only just now finally coming out of stasis, I'm not really planning on anything in the next year or two that I don't entirely control.

1 hour ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I think management may not be allowed to contact you while you're on medical or family leave. At least that's how it works at my company.

I've talked to her a couple times before this, so it's distinctly weird.

• 1 month later...

It took forever to get on, and now after less than two months I’m being asked to apply for a job they previously turned me down for.

I was warned that they try to do as much hiring from within as possible. Literally every position I interviewed for was filled by an internal candidate. I’ve learned that since starting. But getting the nod to apply for stuff after less than a month of actually working is stupendous. 

That's awesome! 

Last night I applied for a job in Austin. We've decided that I should start job hunting now, and when I get one, I can temporarily stay with my mom or sister during the week while I work and the boys can all stay in Houston. Trevor has been working less and less while taking his classes, so he's going to take over homeschooling the boys. 

So wish me luck. I'll be sending out resumes quite a bit in the immediate future. 

Now the job market is flooded I think. It's crazy. If they don't start up eService soon at my second job I will quit and have to find another job to support my cat habits. I can't take one more deaf old person who has Jeopardy blaring in the background while ordering checks. 

OMG YOU GUYS I JUST SENT A RESUME FOR A JOB THAT I REALLY REALLY WANT BECAUSE IT'S FOR A NON-PROFIT FIGHTING FOR A CAUSE I REALLY REALLY BELIEVE IN AND OMG I KNOW I'M YELLING BUT I'M EXCITED AND SCARED AND OMG!!!!!!!!!

And I probably said way too much in my letter of interest AND in the body of the email I attached it to...BUT OMG I WANT TO WORK WITH THESE PEOPLE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!

7 hours ago, Cerina said:

OMG YOU GUYS I JUST SENT A RESUME FOR A JOB THAT I REALLY REALLY WANT BECAUSE IT'S FOR A NON-PROFIT FIGHTING FOR A CAUSE I REALLY REALLY BELIEVE IN AND OMG I KNOW I'M YELLING BUT I'M EXCITED AND SCARED AND OMG!!!!!!!!!

And I probably said way too much in my letter of interest AND in the body of the email I attached it to...BUT OMG I WANT TO WORK WITH THESE PEOPLE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!

whats the job?

1 hour ago, Iceheart said:

Executive Assistant for a nonprofit that helps with juvenile legal cases.

Do you people even Facebook? :lol:

LOL! To be fair, I think I only mentioned it in the one FB group. And to you guys. 

Here's the group and a bit about what they do. The job is basically just admin/bookkeeping stuff, which I'm perfectly qualified for, but the chance to help out with something I actually care about is HUGE. Much better than helping people buy and sell houses. 

https://www.lonestarjusticealliance.org/transformative-justice.html

On 4/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, Cerina said:

LOL! To be fair, I think I only mentioned it in the one FB group. And to you guys. 

Here's the group and a bit about what they do. The job is basically just admin/bookkeeping stuff, which I'm perfectly qualified for, but the chance to help out with something I actually care about is HUGE. Much better than helping people buy and sell houses. 

https://www.lonestarjusticealliance.org/transformative-justice.html

How’re you feeling? I know you posted in another thread about the anxiety, but i don’t remember which one.

I interviewed for a promotion on Tuesday, and I’m anxious for a response, even though I know it isn’t coming today.

I've calmed down to my typical high anxiety. Well, except now I have scouting drama about to blow shit up again. I'll have more to report on that this evening after a series of meetings I have to have. 

I also have a 15 minute pre-interview interview on Monday morning for a different job. 

The interview went well. It was with a consulting firm that assists with real estate hires. I appear to be on step 5 or so of their 8ish step process. Next up, another, longer interview on Thursday, then reference checks. 

So...what does this even mean?

f our Client and the Candidate tell their Your Realty Leverage Recruiter that there is a mutual agreement that they will be a good fit, the candidate's references are thoroughly vetted, and we go 2 to 3 levels deep where possible.

I'm not like nervous about my current references, but the 2 jobs I held last (and only ones in real estate specifically) did NOT go well. It's been 7ish years since those jobs, and they're the reasons I started just staying at home with Noah. I mean, one lady completely lied to unemployment about me back in 2014, and the other place was absolute hell for 2.5 years while I worked there and there aren't many people there currently who would remember me anyway (because it's like working in the underbelly of hell, people don't stick around). 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.