Job hunting in the time of Covid

Guest Brando

Yeah, I’d definitely leave early if the commute is that crazy. I take it you’d be moving closer if you do get the job?

No, but only because Etsy is inundated with them. I’ve actually been sewing myself masks for my new job like crazy this week. I can certainly make up a few and list them if you want.

I hope it goes well, Ender!

I have an interview tomorrow morning for a job maintaining and updating contracts for a property management company. Basically stuff that an attorney would do, but who wants to pay for that?

I have an interview on Monday with a dental insurance start-up for positions not yet listed. One is related to a position that is listed, as a Member Success Representative, which sounds a lot like customer service and would be a step down for my career, but if the money is right, I’m willing to consider it. Especially since it’s not an entry level position. The other job is claim handling, and dental claims are easy - it’s yes or no, with very little in-between. So if the money is right on that, I would definitely take the opportunity until something better comes along.

Did Tim move to the East Coast?

I interviewed for a supervisor-but-not-management job a few weeks ago, they are deciding next week. The competition is actually pretty stiff. I've actually done the job before and was good at it, but worked for a terrible manager who delegated everything to me, and it was holding me back in career progression. So I swore I would never do the job again but my current manager is that terrible. They apparently have multiple openings now because a lot of senior people took the voluntary layoff and they interviewed 5 candidates, many of whom are qualified or have also done the job before. But I'm only willing to take the one I interviewed for because its the least responsibility, the best team, and the most technical. So fingers crossed.

Also my terrible manager found out, so if I don't get it, I'm hosed.

2 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Did Tim move to the East Coast?

I interviewed for a supervisor-but-not-management job a few weeks ago, they are deciding next week. The competition is actually pretty stiff. I've actually done the job before and was good at it, but worked for a terrible manager who delegated everything to me, and it was holding me back in career progression. So I swore I would never do the job again but my current manager is that terrible. They apparently have multiple openings now because a lot of senior people took the voluntary layoff and they interviewed 5 candidates, many of whom are qualified or have also done the job before. But I'm only willing to take the one I interviewed for because its the least responsibility, the best team, and the most technical. So fingers crossed.

Also my terrible manager found out, so if I don't get it, I'm hosed.

That sucks.  If you apply for an internal job in my district your supervisor is automatically notified.  

In schools I get it, because there is a definite hiring season...but if it is a promotion it is still okay.  I don’t understand why a supervisor would be upset with someone wanting in a new role if they have been in that position for a bit let alone a promotion.

I love it when people I supervised get promoted.  It makes me look good to say “look at all these people I mentored that are doing awesome things”!

I am required by law to inform my employer when I make first contact with any regulated entity regarding employment. So if I apply with a company, I have to notify them. If a recruiter contacts me, I have to notify them.

For that reason, I am really enjoying third party recruiters. I can guess who the company is, most of the time, but I can also tel the recruiter I don’t want to verify it unless the job is a good fit and the company is interested. That way I don’t have to say anything. 

The awkward part is I have to tell my boss, and she’s the reason I’m looking.

4 hours ago, Darth Ender said:

That sucks.  If you apply for an internal job in my district your supervisor is automatically notified.  

In schools I get it, because there is a definite hiring season...but if it is a promotion it is still okay.  I don’t understand why a supervisor would be upset with someone wanting in a new role if they have been in that position for a bit let alone a promotion.

I love it when people I supervised get promoted.  It makes me look good to say “look at all these people I mentored that are doing awesome things”!

Yeah, all the managers get to review the candidates for lead positions. He was surprised I applied because I've said I don't want to do the job again. I actually really like mentoring and helping others, I'm good at it. I just don't want to do it for him or for most of the teams anymore because they've taken away all the fun parts and made it into a schedule and budget position (managers pushing down their responsibilities). This was kind of a weird position where its the very early R&D work, so there's naturally less of that. Really, I just want to be on that team, and I don't care how I get there. My manager wants me under his thumb to do work because he knows I'm good at what I do, even though I've outlived my usefulness on this team because of where we are at on the program. He would rather give up some people he thinks less of and keep me to do their job. It doesn't mean I know how to do their job, though. I have maybe 3 major tasks that they need my expertise for, but they are all months away. He doesn't want to give me up to another team and have to fight to get me loaned back to do that work. So instead he gives me useless paperwork and tries to get me to project manage other people who don't need project managed, they need another person who is also an expert in their area to help them do the work.

Not really a new job, but a couple weeks ago I had a zoom meeting with my boss and his boss.  I had requested it because there were several things going on like work piling up, us having to do a lot more than normal (even before covid), and the fact that my seniority doesn't seem to count for anything.  I laid out a case that my group does far more than other groups do with the exact same job titles, yet does not get any additional compensation, and the way I think I came across was pretty upset.  Not sure how I was actually perceived, but I felt really upset.  It was one of those conversations where you start off making your points, but as you go on and start thinking and talking about all the ways you are screwed over, you get more and more pissed.  I tried my best not to let it show, but I know for a fact it came through.  

Anyway, today out of the blue, I get a slack message from my boss's boss's boss wanting a zoom meeting.  Of course I had to do it because I was not busy at the moment.  I thought I was going to get reprimanded because of insubordination or something.  

Turns out, I got a raise!   Not a big one, but I'll take it and appreciate the gesture!

I definitely didn’t click with today’s recruiter. They also don’t offer insurance, but I told them I would still consider it if they could make the salary enough to cover health and life insurance for my family. Of course, the Supreme Court is going to kill the ACA, so getting individual insurance is going to be significantly more expensive.

Tim moved to Winder GA. He's having a house built for himself using the $350K he got from selling his mom's house. Meanwhile I drove 898 miles just to send Tina to the hospital again and now I'm haggling with the insurance company about why they're declining my car rental coverage. In Tim's defense he did send me 450$ to help with the deductible but now I've got to rent a car while it's in the shop. 

I love my teaching job and don't think I'll leave that but I am worried I can't do my second job or teach once covid is up once Tina moves in with me. She needs full time care. So well, there's lots of stuff. She's an addict. And when we go to full time teaching at school I won't be home for long stretches. While she was being admitted to the hospital I went through her cell phone because her password was easy to crack and found she did buy Oxy's back in July but nothing new as far as drugs since but she can still get them in Tucson.

You need to figure out a way to fast track her into a group home. How are you supposed to live caring for her full time with no income?

You really need to contact your state rep and see if there’s anything they can do to help you both. Look into the United Way or something. There has to be a way to get Tina what she needs without killing you in the process.

The only thing worse than hold music is when they interrupt the music to tell you that you’re still on hold. 

I found a job site that I’m actually paying for - virtualvocations.com - at first I thought it had to be a scam, because there are so many free sites out there, but this one focuses on remote work, and I would love to work from home permanently. And not only does it focus on that, I’m finding jobs that aren’t on LinkedIn, Indeed, or ZipRecruiter. It’s something like $15 a month, but totally worth it if it gets me a job. I just applied for one a job reviewing continuing education courses for a major education company. Given the experience they want you to have to do it, the pay better be worth it. But I likely won’t even get a call from them.

So I love engineering, I truly do. I'm just getting sick of the corporate atmosphere. My husband is not an engineer, but a project manager and scheduling expert. We are both really good at logistics and often talk about better ways to do something. The other day, after we complained about something else dumb that someone had done, I wondered if there was a way for us to become consultants for this sort of thing. I have my P.E. license but it doesn't quite apply to this. I don't even know how we would market ourselves for this sort of thing. I know there are firms like Bain and Deloitte that do this, but I'd rather opt out of corporate life. But it seems like we would have to do something like corporate life to prove ourselves first. I also hate the idea of owning our own business. My dad was a small business owner and it was terrible for work-life balance.

I caved and applied for a claims job. They’re based out Chicago but willing to hire remote, and I’m willing to work remote. But I’ll miss out on the free La Croix, beer, and snacks in the office.

Well now I'm kind of excited. Had to tell some of my team so we can begin transition planning. It looks like I may be able to go in 2 weeks. I get to work with some people I've worked with in the past and good friends. I am also leaving a team of good friends that I am really bonded with. It is a testament to what good friends they are that their initial reaction was to be happy for me first and then oh crap how are we going to replace you? I think they have already found a replacement for some of it, fortunately. But I told my new manager that I realized I had stopped growing in my current role, and it was time to take a leap and start growing again. I listened in on my first meeting today and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Brando, is the beer and Lacroix at your home office or the in-person office? I admittedly like the fruit fart water.

6 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Well now I'm kind of excited. Had to tell some of my team so we can begin transition planning. It looks like I may be able to go in 2 weeks. I get to work with some people I've worked with in the past and good friends. I am also leaving a team of good friends that I am really bonded with. It is a testament to what good friends they are that their initial reaction was to be happy for me first and then oh crap how are we going to replace you? I think they have already found a replacement for some of it, fortunately. But I told my new manager that I realized I had stopped growing in my current role, and it was time to take a leap and start growing again. I listened in on my first meeting today and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Brando, is the beer and Lacroix at your home office or the in-person office? I admittedly like the fruit fart water.

Well, at least your supervisor didn't try to sabotage you.  Or could he have, and they picked you anyways? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.