Job hunting in the time of Covid

Guest Brando

Heh, I was tapped by a former professor to do a lecture for current students this year. Now, these alumni lectures are really common, and all my classmates have done them, and Ive never been approached, I assumed I wasnt cool and successful enough like my classmates to show off to the kids.

Now Ive been specially tapped to give one, and when I threw out my ideas for a positive lecture, my professor actually wants me to focus on failure and resilience. I was kind of offended until I realized that the class of 2021 is graduating into a very similar climate to 2009, when I graduated.

So now Im planning a lecture and an alumni clothing swap so we can send the babies into the harsh world wearing grown up clothes without bankrupting them right off the bat.

I ran out of fingers and toes when it comes to jobs I have worked. I've been with my current employer in progressing levels of the same type of tech work for 17 years.

Without getting too specific, here are the other types of jobs I've done over the years:

1. Grocery bagging/carryout
  2. US Army
  3. inbound call/account management for various financial centers
  4. inbound directory assistance
  5. electronics/circuit board/microchip production
  6. aircraft engine part refurbishing
  7. copy machine repair
  8. museum collections and digital archiving
  9. armed security

Ive received three callbacks today. Unfortunately, I wasnt in a position to take the calls to Ill have to call them back this afternoon.

So, I've been doing a mix of applications from "well qualified" to "stretch," and plus I've talked to a lot of recruiters about different positions. There's a total of one insurance company in the world that I would consider working claims for, but even that's a fallback position. But this same company had a stretch job as manager of customer service training and quality assurance. I have management experience, I have training experience, and QA experience. I also can truthfully say that I know more about insurance than most people who work for the companies, and I have a professional designation in customer service in the insurance industry. So, it's a stretch, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Well, it's been a few weeks and I didn't hear anything, but in the meantime sent their HR department an email with my resume, an explanation of my background, and the type of job I would like to have. They thanked me and said they would keep it on file and see if anything opened up that would be a good fit.

Today, I got an interview request for that training and QA job. It's still a stretch, and I'm sure I'm going up against people with a lot of qualifications, but I'm at least able to get my foot in the door. Plus I already have some former coworker friends who work there, so it wouldn't be starting over.

So, I have a separate phone call with the HR manager for this company on Friday, just to chat about my background and for me to learn more about the company.

I was supposed to do a Google Meet meeting with the HR manager today, but he texted me around 5:05 to say something came up. He offered that we could do it tonight or next week, and I said I was open to tonight, but I was sure he wanted to start his weekend so we should schedule for next week.

Hopefully being super relaxed about it is helpful.

Yeah, I dont blame you. Im trying really hard not to get excited about my prospects, but its also hard.

But at least its definite that we both have more than a 0% chance.

Just finished my first interview for the great job.

She went into detail on the next steps, so hopefully that means good things. The next step is a technical interview with the VP.

Same and same.

Next step is an in-person interview with the editor and marketing coordinator, to see if we'd work well together. I helped train the marketing coordinator in the job I'll be assisting her with.

Interviewing with a company you've worked for before is weird af.

Well, I was not chosen to move forward with this position. I am a little disappointed, but also somewhat expected it. I still have a meeting with the HR manager today at 5 as sort of a general interview.

I think this one went better. It was Google Meet, as opposed to phone, which was better. I also clicked with this guy in a way I didn't click with the recruiter. In the end, he gave me his cell phone number and said to let him know when I apply for anything with the company.

He also asked what I want to do, and then basically said that they're going to be hiring people to do exactly what I described, hopefully in 2020. So, yeah, I think it went well. I think I've got a future with this company, and hopefully not in claims. But I'd even do that to get my foot in the door.

But I also REALLY want away from my current job, so something that will hopefully open up by the end of the year is definitely not enough to hold my breath on.

And had another really great conversation with an HR Manager today, but the compensation was too low. But she wanted to speak with me because she knew it would be, and this was really an interview for future positions. If I wasn’t raising a family on just my income I totally would have taken it.

Next up is an interview for a job developing insurance policies for a brand new company. That’s really exciting, and hopefully will work out. They want someone who has experience reading and analyzing insurance contracts and making sure they’re in line with state laws, and that’s literally my job. 

Hopefully the pay would be appropriate for the job, since the job has a lot of responsibility. And my best friend is being considered for a software/web developer job with the same company, so that would be awesome.

What time is your interview on Friday? Mine is at 9, which means I need to actually get up and shower. I haven’t been doing that, choosing instead to stay in bed until the last possible minute. Which is a combination of poor sleep and depression, and the poor sleep is also partially a result of anxiety and depression caused by work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.