Job hunting in the time of Covid

Guest Brando

Who all is job hunting right now? Icy? Zerimar? Anyone having any luck?

I started looking in earnest this week. The insurance industry is slowly opening up, and Columbus is a huge insurance hub, but most of the openings are entry level, and I cant afford the pay cut. I found three openings that are decent fits - one is a stretch, but I could do it and I have a lot of experience. The one Im most hopeful for is a compliance job, since thats what Ive been doing for the past few years, only on the government side. Its also potentially a permanent work from home job, which would be great. I hate my boss and dread work because of it, so I need something new but at least I have a steady paycheck.

No way to know until we know who's buying us. It could be someone who wants to enter into the business, someone who wants to beef up their own products, someone who just wants access to our clients, any number of things. Talking with my boss, I figure there's three realistic possibilities as to how it'll affect me personally:

1. We're bought out, the new ownership either doesn't want or need us, and it's a good thing my resume is mostly up to date already (though I should probably double check sometime soon)

2. We're bought out, they like us as we are, they put us in a new building, and things continue as is in San Diego

3. We're bought out, and at some point whether immediately or after a time to smooth out all the buy out issues, the new company wants to move us to one of their pre-existing offices which may not be in San Diego. In which case, we decide if we want to move or not.

Oddly enough this isn't as super stressful as it feels like it should be. I think with everything else 2020 has given us, I don't have any stress left to give for this.

1. We're bought out, the new ownership either doesn't want or need us, and it's a good thing my resume is mostly up to date already (though I should probably double check sometime soon)

I updated yours when I first wrote mine after the layoff in 2019, I still have it on Canva. It just needs some date tweaks.

I had what I thought was a pretty great interview with a company that works in economic development this past week. It's a part time (but well compensated) temporary position, but it's a position that works directly with the member businesses, so I'd have a really good idea of who's hiring by the time the job runs out and possibly some good connections. If they don't decide to keep me on after, which is always a possibility. My interviewers and I bonded over thrift store recommendations. And my mask spray business helped.

I mean, they may find someone even more perfect, I'll know by the end of next week. But I'm feeling good-but-not-too-optimistic-to-avoid-a-potential-crushing-blow about it!

I'm really thinking about job hunting because the corporate atmosphere is just miserable right now, and I'm honestly not sure if it will get better. But I'm not sure if any of the other companies in the area are any better, I hear horror stories from my contacts. I really do need to move to a different team, though. This all meetings all day from 9-3 is not going to work while having to do virtual school.

I'm not looking for a new job at the moment, and while I am glad I have a job right now, I do want to make a career change. I am going back to school in two days (which my current job is helping me pay for), so that I can hopefully graduate in 18 months and change careers at that point.

And I just got the rejection letter from that interview I thought I aced. Ah, well.

It occurs to me that that would a really fun thing for a sadist - interview people, have it go really well, and reject them anyway. Especially if there really isn't a job to offer.

Yes, actually! I just wrapped up my first day of training for an auto service contract company. I will be working as a business development representative, and doing so remotely for the foreseeable future. They were even kind enough ship me a laptop.

Thank you for asking! Good luck in your search.

Man, your job must hate you if they are helping you pay t get away from them! ;P

They have a tuition assistance program where I work. Now I sound like an ungrateful bastard. Thanks a lot!

But seriously, I might be able to look for a different job with the same employer, so it could still be mutually beneficial.

Nah, tuition assistance is a great benefit that helps get people and keep them, even if they eventually leave. Employers know it, but they get you for the time being.

So, we have to tell HR if we've applied for a job with a regulated entity: pretty much any insurance company or agency in the state. We were told that HR would NOT tell our supervisors. Took forever for HR to figure out who needed to be notified, and then of course they emailed my entire management team. My supervisor, all of her fellow supervisors, their boss, and his boss.

Yes, actually! I just wrapped up my first day of training for an auto service contract company. I will be working as a business development representative, and doing so remotely for the foreseeable future. They were even kind enough ship me a laptop.

Thank you for asking! Good luck in your search.

Great! So is that a fancy term for sales?

Soooooo the media company I was downsized from last year is hiring a receptionist.

I asked the editor (who remains a friend) what she thought about me applying, and she was over the moon about it.

My dad thinks its a step backwards. But we knew that, my health cant take a full-time schedule anymore, so anything I do would be a step back. And at least I know I have friends in the office.

So, well see, this is a company that was fine with giving me the axe before, who knows if glowing recommendations from their own staff about a former employee does anything anymore.

So, we have to tell HR if we've applied for a job with a regulated entity: pretty much any insurance company or agency in the state. We were told that HR would NOT tell our supervisors. Took forever for HR to figure out who needed to be notified, and then of course they emailed my entire management team. My supervisor, all of her fellow supervisors, their boss, and his boss.

Being a sadist is definitely an HR requirement.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.